Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2024, 10:11 PM   #41
sharkov
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
Avs terminate contract

Next stop Edmonton
I hope not. That would be a nightmare to deal with
Old 05-13-2024, 10:14 PM   #42
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Gas is referring to the Russian Gas, not cocaine. I didn't hear what Biz said but he likely made a joke because he was playing so well. Don't think he had any knowledge or was referencing any actual substances. Russian Gas sounds like it actually comes in a gas tank and teams in the KHL have it at the rink.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:16 PM   #43
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Unfortunately that’s how addictions work. Not always optimal timing.
Unless it's some pain killers for a brutal injury. My level of empathy for addiction isn't there if it's recreational stuff like Cocaine.

I legitimately feel for a guy like Kevin Stevens who had his face crushed in a freak accident and the addictions that resulted from that. Countless others suffered a similar fate and I can be empathetic to them.

If it's a recreational drug..you're a long way down my pity list.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:18 PM   #44
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
The boy loves his cocaine aka “Gas” as the kids call it today. Having failed a Game day test, he was skiing all weekend.
“Gas” isn’t in reference to cocaine.

I wouldn’t doubt that Nichushkin enjoys cocaine, though.
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:20 PM   #45
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
I have no idea exactly what it is but players who have played in Russia have said before games they are given something which they call gas that helps them play better. No idea if it's an illegal substance or not.

Spittin chiclets crew have talked about it a lot when talking to Russian players.
I discovered this in my search....

Quote:
“It’s probably Toradol, perhaps used in combination with an amphetamine to increase “psychological lift”. There is a long history of this drug being used on the QT by NHL teams. Sean Avery mentions its use by teams in his book Offside: My Life in Hockey.

Basically, Toradol (the brand name for the chemical ketorolac) is a non steroidal anti-inflammatory and pain reliever. The practical effect of Toradol is it makes a myriad of small to medium hurts just vanish within minutes. The psychological effect of this, especially when combined with an amphetamine to provide a psychological “lift”, is that it makes a player feel invincible on the ice. Yes, it really does work to achieve this effect quite effectively and predictably within minutes.

The problem is, it’s just a feeling of invincibility, it isn’t actual invincibility, so a player can sustain a serious injury or concussion and Toradol will, for a few hours, totally suppress the symptoms and pain allowing the player to just ignore it and play through it. Of course, the injury isn’t gone, it’s still there. So it can increase the chance of another serious injury and most of all, greatly increases the chance of aggravating the existing injury.”
https://morning-skate.com/2023/08/17...rs-on-the-ice/
Old 05-13-2024, 10:21 PM   #46
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
Unless it's some pain killers for a brutal injury. My level of empathy for addiction isn't there if it's recreational stuff like Cocaine.

I legitimately feel for a guy like Kevin Stevens who had his face crushed in a freak accident and the addictions that resulted from that. Countless others suffered a similar fate and I can be empathetic to them.

This is dumb. You’re fine to feel this way, but it’s not something to brag about. Alcohol is recreational.

Life creates the addiction, the med chosen or available is secondary.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 10:23 PM   #47
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post

This is a terrible take.

Addiction impacts people in different ways. Life isn’t just about physical trauma. People cope different ways.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 10:29 PM   #48
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
This is a terrible take.

Addiction impacts people in different ways. Life isn’t just about physical trauma. People cope different ways.
You know what, many people suffer issues that they did not deserve. Kids with cancer and things like that.

Call me an a-hole because I feel worse for them then someone who gets hooked on a recreation drug that they chose to try.

Addiction sucks. No question. But there's s pecking order for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 10:29 PM   #49
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
Gas is referring to the Russian Gas, not cocaine. I didn't hear what Biz said but he likely made a joke because he was playing so well. Don't think he had any knowledge or was referencing any actual substances. Russian Gas sounds like it actually comes in a gas tank and teams in the KHL have it at the rink.
This was the exact context of what biz said.

Not offensive… unless you’ve chosen to be offended by everything.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 10:34 PM   #50
BigThief
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
The boy loves his cocaine aka “Gas” as the kids call it today. Having failed a Game day test, he was skiing all weekend.
Hello fellow kids!
BigThief is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BigThief For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 10:44 PM   #51
Zary's-Mustache
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
But they’re fun, they’re bros!

I hate the loser bro culture vibe of those clowns, too.
Honestly I do too even though I listen to it, I usually listen for the interviews. They imo have the best interviews but they annoy me with their drug talk and stuff like that especially when their good friend OD'd they still make it seem like drugs are cool.

Whitney looks like he is always drunk and has aged very poorly. Not exactly role models.
Zary's-Mustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 10:49 PM   #52
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Sheeeeeesh

https://twitter.com/user/status/1790239301013221873

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 11:06 PM   #53
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zary's-Mustache View Post
Honestly I do too even though I listen to it, I usually listen for the interviews. They imo have the best interviews but they annoy me with their drug talk and stuff like that especially when their good friend OD'd they still make it seem like drugs are cool.

Whitney looks like he is always drunk and has aged very poorly. Not exactly role models.
Yeah, I can’t stand them. Flashbacks of the junior hockey ######bags who hung out in the front hall of the high school and #### on the rest of us. #### those guys.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 01:30 AM   #54
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I was told MacKinnon was extremely pissed and told him not to bother to apologize just find a new address.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 02:48 AM   #55
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I was told MacKinnon was extremely pissed and told him not to bother to apologize just find a new address.

Sounds like the typical scenario of someone who has incredible talent but purposely throws it away with an I don't care attitude.

Given his actual talent, no doubt that the team and players bent over backwards for him and covered for him in a lot of different scenarios.

He probably just doesn't care one bit or perhaps even show any remorse and just goes on with the drugs, doping, booze and off the chart hot Russian women.

Some people suffer addiction issues quietly but he comes off as the one who would tell Mackinnon to "chill bro, don't kill the party vibe"
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 03:12 AM   #56
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like the team gave him chance after chance and he's thrown it away time and time again. Can totally understand his teammates being pissed at him and ready to cut him loose for good. Must be hard to care about someone in such a privileged position pissing away their chances like that, but whatever, I'll take his teammate's word that they are better off without him. Not a lot of "wish him the best of luck", but a lot of GTFO here.

Looked up his contract and woof. Who the heck thought it was a good idea to sign him to that? 8 year 49 million contract, I must have missed that signing. I know he's a late bloomer and all, but damn. That's some massive trust to put in a guy who has a lot of demons on his track record.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 05:00 AM   #57
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume the suspension in in hockey time, as in after the playoffs it will get picked up again when next season starts?

Since the players don’t get paid during playoffs, how does the 6 months without pay work here?

Otherwise, the 6 months without pay only affect his playing this playoffs, and does not affect his pay?
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 06:45 AM   #58
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
That's harsh from MacKinnon, you'd think he ate some carbs or something.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:23 AM   #59
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Most people who use cocaine are not addicts. He could just be really dumb and reckless about using it in-season, instead of limiting it to the offseason like other NHLers.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2024, 07:27 AM   #60
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
McKinnon had to throw out all of the ice cream from the locker room. Now he will have to remove all of the cocaine too? What has this world come to?
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote