Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2024, 08:06 PM   #4201
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeluxeMoustache View Post
I just made a statement of fact, guy. He was a bottom 6 W here, he is a 2C there. The rest of that nonsense is you
It's really not. You were the CEO of the Bennett fanboys.

He was awful here. That's on him.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:07 PM   #4202
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
It's really not. You were the CEO of the Bennett fanboys.

He was awful here. That's on him.

Whatever makes you feel good. The organization failed to get the best out of him one way or another, that’s indisputable.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 08:10 PM   #4203
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Sam wasn’t a 4th line plugger, that’s on Treliving. He needed a heavier hand with the coaches.

I don’t think any of that rubbed off on Tkachuk. He was developed just fine. Someone said we played him as a checker. He played on the Backlund line for 3 years and was used on the top pp unit. Peter’s recognized in his 2nd season that he needed better depth and switched it up. That’s when Covid started. 1 year was wasted on some dumb bubble for 56 games playing the same team over and over again. We got his career year after but he wanted out. Don’t think it would work with him and Darryl.

I don’t think he was misused or treated.
Well I agree with you I still think that Florida handled him a little differently same with Bennett. I'm not disagreeing with you, but both Bennett said that was the happiest he's ever been. and Matthew raved about the coaching which kind of falls in line with what you were saying. I'm in agreement with those that feel that Bennett was misused, and that the management at the time didn't see what he was or what he could be. Conroy reflected on this when he first got hired as GM, he said that Bennett should have been given more of an opportunity.

Last edited by DazzlinDino; 05-13-2024 at 08:13 PM.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:10 PM   #4204
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Whatever makes you feel good. The organization failed to get the best out of him one way or another, that’s indisputable.
Winning makes me feel good.

I don't know whatever this is that does it for you.

It really must suck to cheer for a team on the side, when your true passion is to be the smartest person on the board and wayyyyy smarter than any of Flames Front office/coaching staff.
Old 05-13-2024, 08:16 PM   #4205
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There is one other possibility at least - that Bennett got traded, said "I'd better get my s*** together" and improved his play. Which created a cycle of better opportunity, more points, more improvement, etc.

Or a combination. It doesn't have to be just one thing.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2024, 08:18 PM   #4206
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
Well I agree with you I still think that Florida handled him a little differently same with Bennett. I'm not disagreeing with you, but both Bennett said that was the happiest he's ever been. and Matthew waved about the coaching which kind of falls in line with what you were saying. I'm in agreement with those that feel that Bennett was misused, and that the management at the time didn't see what he was or what he could be. Conroy reflected on this when he first got hired as GM, he said that Bennett should have been given more of an opportunity.
Glen Gulutzan was the first dagger. Bringing in a bum like Dave Cameron as assistant. Guy was begging for a job, catching planes at 5 am to go climb mountains with the management team. What kind of process is this.

Hiring Peter’s without talking to anyone else. I still remember him saying we don’t know what Bennett is? Is he a winger.

Coaching was a huge issue. Not asking them what they saw in him, and bringing in better guys and getting more views on your players.

Still think Sam could have done more with his chances, instead of taking dumb penalties and getting buried again. Conroy is already doing things different. We just don’t have the young players yet to see how they develop.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 08:46 PM   #4207
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There is one other possibility at least - that Bennett got traded, said "I'd better get my s*** together" and improved his play. Which created a cycle of better opportunity, more points, more improvement, etc.

Or a combination. It doesn't have to be just one thing.

Sure, it can be more than one thing

It is true without assigning blame that Bennett had potential which was not realized here

Florida saw potential, gave him opportunity and he capitalized

Can’t deny where the Flames slotted him. Good playoffs, starts the next season on the 4th line
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DeluxeMoustache For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 09:03 PM   #4208
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sure, it can be more than one thing

It is true without assigning blame that Bennett had potential which was not realized here

Florida saw potential, gave him opportunity and he capitalized

Can’t deny where the Flames slotted him. Good playoffs, starts the next season on the 4th line
4th line? What year are you talking about? His first season after his little PO success as a callup from the minors was on the Backlund line. They didn't make the POs that year. The next year they made the POs was 16-17 (in which he was on the 3rd line with Brouwer and Versteeg mostly, and second most with Gaudreau and Chaisson. But that can't be the year you're talking about. Maybe it's the next year 17-18. Nah - that year he was on the Hathaway/Jagr/Jankowsky line and the 4th line was Stajan's line (who he never ever played with). 18-19 he played mostly with Backlund and Tkachuk.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:06 PM   #4209
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
4th line? What year are you talking about? His first season after his little PO success as a callup from the minors was on the Backlund line. They didn't make the POs that year. The next year they made the POs was 16-17 (in which he was on the 3rd line with Brouwer and Versteeg mostly, and second most with Gaudreau and Chaisson. But that can't be the year you're talking about. Maybe it's the next year 17-18. Nah - that year he was on the Hathaway/Jagr/Jankowsky line and the 4th line was Stajan's line (who he never ever played with). 18-19 he played mostly with Backlund and Tkachuk.
The bubble with Lucic and Dube.

Ward asked him what position he wanted to play. He said C , so Ward made him a 4th line winger.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 09:22 PM   #4210
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

He played 400 games for us and was good for about 40 games.... lol

10%! and ZERO pullups.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:31 PM   #4211
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Ward asked him what position he wanted to play. He said C , so Ward made him a 4th line winger.
I love this post. Ward.....man. He probably was a great assistant coach. What a disaster.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:34 PM   #4212
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Glen Gulutzan was the first dagger. Bringing in a bum like Dave Cameron as assistant. Guy was begging for a job, catching planes at 5 am to go climb mountains with the management team. What kind of process is this.

Hiring Peter’s without talking to anyone else. I still remember him saying we don’t know what Bennett is? Is he a winger.

Coaching was a huge issue. Not asking them what they saw in him, and bringing in better guys and getting more views on your players.

Still think Sam could have done more with his chances, instead of taking dumb penalties and getting buried again. Conroy is already doing things different. We just don’t have the young players yet to see how they develop.
I agree with you that Sam could have done more with this chances; But you know there's been times in my life when for whatever reason I wasn't given an opportunity in one place and I went somewhere else and they saw my abilities and believed in me. It didn't matter how hard I tried it the first place it wouldn't have made much difference. That is probably a pretty common situation for anyone. I kind of think it was like that with Sam he didn't have confidence here and we wouldn't give him the opportunity because maybe he just didn't have confidence and they just didn't know what he had. Seeing him stuck on the second line in Florida and flourishing. Definitely I think the inexperienced coaches factored into it. I liked that Matthew got an opportunity right away and started showing what he could do. Sam Bennett, I think some of it was just a confidence issues. For me it just feels better to say hey maybe management didn't do a good job. Maybe we missed out on the player, And then you see a bunch of players all leaving even when you're putting the money on the table makes you wonder if there was something within the organization that turned them off; Because in the end the Flames had players that weren't willing to stay for the money.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:36 PM   #4213
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
He played 400 games for us and was good for about 40 games.... lol

10%! and ZERO pullups.
There must have been a reason, because he is doing pretty good in Florida.
Old 05-13-2024, 09:54 PM   #4214
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
I love this post. Ward.....man. He probably was a great assistant coach. What a disaster.
I feel bad for dumping on him, he did step up for the organization during a trying time. Peter’s and Covid. Seemed like a great guy, but if you suck at your job you won’t keep it for long no matter how nice you are.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 09:57 PM   #4215
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There must have been a reason, because he is doing pretty good in Florida.
i was told it's because Florida has Jonathan Huberdeau and the Flames with Gaudreau, Tkachuk etc didn't have a single player on the same tier.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 09:57 PM   #4216
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I agree with you that Sam could have done more with this chances; But you know there's been times in my life when for whatever reason I wasn't given an opportunity in one place and I went somewhere else and they saw my abilities and believed in me. It didn't matter how hard I tried it the first place it wouldn't have made much difference. That is probably a pretty common situation for anyone. I kind of think it was like that with Sam he didn't have confidence here and we wouldn't give him the opportunity because maybe he just didn't have confidence and they just didn't know what he had. Seeing him stuck on the second line in Florida and flourishing. Definitely I think the inexperienced coaches factored into it. I liked that Matthew got an opportunity right away and started showing what he could do. Sam Bennett, I think some of it was just a confidence issues. For me it just feels better to say hey maybe management didn't do a good job. Maybe we missed out on the player, And then you see a bunch of players all leaving even when you're putting the money on the table makes you wonder if there was something within the organization that turned them off; Because in the end the Flames had players that weren't willing to stay for the money.
The more we peel back the Treliving era the worse it gets. Coaching and rushing out of the rebuild are 2 things.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 09:57 PM   #4217
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Something I find really interesting, Sam Bennett didn't play well in Calgary. People think he had ample opportunities, but he played very well with Huberdeau in Florida. Huberdeau comes here and shuts down, just like Sam Bennett and blames it on confidence... I'm sure Sam and Huberdeau talk.. they know each other and no matter how much people wanted Sam Bennett to play better here he wouldn't do it. There were times when he just wouldn't show it, and that's exact same thing Huberdeau is doing. It's like they got to Calgary and turned a switch off. Lindholm did the same thing. There is something Calgary is doing that these players didn't like and it's probably better that they moved on. Hopefully Conroy can build a new culture and we can find better ways to support the players we have and make them want to stay.
Old 05-13-2024, 10:24 PM   #4218
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm did the same thing?!?!
He popped when he came here
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2024, 10:28 PM   #4219
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That year Bennett’s most common line combination was with Johnny and Monahan.
Old 05-13-2024, 11:01 PM   #4220
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:
lanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Lindholm did the same thing?!?!
He popped when he came here

I think you know what I mean. You just had to watch his play this last season to see that he seemed disinterested and didn't want to play here he also turned down the money.