Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-02-2024, 09:53 PM   #2401
Rhett44
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Huberdeau will have more points as the Flames team becomes more talented IMO. Believe it or not they had the #1 PP in the NHL for the final stretch after Kuz was inserted. That's not to say 115 but somewhere in between.
Huberdeau will be older by the time we are more talented and likely have fallen off more.

And Kuzmenko will likely be traded by next deadline for futures.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rhett44 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2024, 10:12 PM   #2402
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post
Huberdeau will be older by the time we are more talented and likely have fallen off more.

And Kuzmenko will likely be traded by next deadline for futures.
Offensively talented...they were more offensively talented at the end of last season then they were are the start. I expect that trend to continue. If you think Huberdeau had hit his career high with the Flames that's fine, not me. Huberdeau hasn't fallen off because of age, he is a playmaker on a team with few drivers and few pure scorers.
Old 05-03-2024, 05:05 AM   #2403
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Huberdeau will have more points as the Flames team becomes more talented IMO. Believe it or not they had the #1 PP in the NHL for the final stretch after Kuz was inserted. That's not to say 115 but somewhere in between.
So, somewhere between 52 and 115.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 05:45 AM   #2404
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
So, somewhere between 52 and 115.
If Huberdeau can get back to a point a game that would be great. I don’t think the Flames have the supporting cast to get him back into the 110 scenario.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 07:30 AM   #2405
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Conroy has mentioned how high on his priority list it is to find someone that Huberdeau gels with specifically. I can't remember if he mentioned Kuzmenko's name here, but I think his proven chemistry with Huberdeau may very well be the reason the Flames end up extending Kuzmenko.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:30 AM   #2406
Saqe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
If Huberdeau can get back to a point a game that would be great. I don’t think the Flames have the supporting cast to get him back into the 110 scenario.
That was a historic team by scoring when he got 115 points, people really need to let go of that year. It was an anomaly.

He was a PPG+ winger in his prime years and those were high scoring teams in general. Florida finished 9th, 6th and 5th in scoring during those years (2019-2021) so I would assume if he is going to get back to being a PPG player, the team has a) be playing offensive style hockey b) be high scoring in general.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:35 AM   #2407
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just hope he can be a guy that gets around 70 points at this stage TBH.

He had the 4 season stretch where he was 1.21 PPG (99 points per 82) but that would be the peak of the age curve for a forward like him (25-29 years old).

Now you just hope he can be a good locker room presence through the retool/rebuild and contribute around 70 points on average with maybe a PPG season mixed in there.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:35 AM   #2408
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I've never understood the need for fan X to have to correct fan Y for being positive.

Huberdeau finished the season on an pretty good stretch. Someone is suggesting that IF that is a turning point he may be a more productive player next season. That in itself is a completely legit theory. Will it come true? Who knows ... I'm guessing not as the Flames won't have the same blueline moving pucks up to forwards to generate offence.

But lets make sure no one sees hope!
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 07:52 AM   #2409
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I've never understood the need for fan X to have to correct fan Y for being positive.

Huberdeau finished the season on an pretty good stretch. Someone is suggesting that IF that is a turning point he may be a more productive player next season. That in itself is a completely legit theory. Will it come true? Who knows ... I'm guessing not as the Flames won't have the same blueline moving pucks up to forwards to generate offence.

The Flames will likely need the PP to be much more productive next season to offset the loss of Hanifin in their transition game and fortunately it did show a lot of improvement by the end of the season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 07:55 AM   #2410
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

“Yes you are”
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 08:27 AM   #2411
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
The Flames will likely need the PP to be much more productive next season to offset the loss of Hanifin in their transition game and fortunately it did show a lot of improvement by the end of the season.
Lots of things look good when the pressure is off.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:20 AM   #2412
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Agreed. But some are suggesting that his 63 point pace since Jan 1 somehow equates to 70, 80 or even 117 points next season. That that is the likely place he will be at.

Now Huberdeau could hit 70-80 points next season, but the odds are likely against it. Players who get 80 points are generally on pretty high scoring teams, and that's not likely Calgary.

If he's a good teammate, plays a solid game and hits 70 points, I would consider that a huge win. And the first two are likely in the bag.
Old 05-03-2024, 10:23 AM   #2413
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Agreed. But some are suggesting that his 63 point pace since Jan 1 somehow equates to 70, 80 or even 117 points next season. That that is the likely place he will be at.

Now Huberdeau could hit 70-80 points next season, but the odds are likely against it. Players who get 80 points are generally on pretty high scoring teams, and that's not likely Calgary.

If he's a good teammate, plays a solid game and hits 70 points, I would consider that a huge win. And the first two are likely in the bag.
No one has said that. Hence "straw man". All people have said is that "if" he can clean up his dry months, he can have improved production. Which is a pretty logical claim. The reference to his good months is merely to show he's still capable of that kind of production. Because he's done it.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 10:41 AM   #2414
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Didn't want to restate your whole post, but it is a testament to what I have been saying for a long time which is: goalie stats are pretty much useless.

Team trades 2 top 4 defensemen, and goes from okay to terrible, giving up 5 alarm changes all over the place, and the goalie's stats tank. Huh.

Was Markstom as hot as he was earlier? No. But how could he be? It's a team game, and looking at stats can miss that sometimes.
I am not an expert on this stat, but Bingo has it in his game recaps.

Expected GA for goalies above average. Markstrom was near the leaders for lots of the season, but came down after the trade deadline. I assume that takes in to account the degree of required saves, or i's a pretty useless stat.

So, he was not just giving up more goals (duh!), but was giving up more goals than the average goalie would do on comparable chances. At least I think that's what it was saying.

Vladar and Wolf on a per game average were terrible on that stat, but at least Wolf's got better at the end (which the eye test would confirm).
Old 05-03-2024, 10:45 AM   #2415
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
No one has said that. Hence "straw man". All people have said is that "if" he can clean up his dry months, he can have improved production. Which is a pretty logical claim. The reference to his good months is merely to show he's still capable of that kind of production. Because he's done it.
Many have suggested that they think that's where he likely will land, that it is very achievable.

But if any player can clean up his dry months, it will result in approved production. Huberdeau's hot stretch since Jan 1 resulted in a 63 point pace. He's got a ways to go to get to 80 or more.
Old 05-03-2024, 11:03 AM   #2416
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how every thread for the last year and half has been turned into a Huby thread at some point.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:06 AM   #2417
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
I love how every thread for the last year and half has been turned into a Huby thread at some point.
Huby only has himself to blame!
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2024, 11:35 AM   #2418
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Many have suggested that they think that's where he likely will land, that it is very achievable.

But if any player can clean up his dry months, it will result in approved production. Huberdeau's hot stretch since Jan 1 resulted in a 63 point pace. He's got a ways to go to get to 80 or more.
Not in this discussion they haven't.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 11:43 AM   #2419
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Huby only has himself to blame!
I think lots of blame can be spread around. Has he sucked? Yes. He also didn't demand a trade to Calgary and ask for that contract.

Anyone of us would have taken that deal.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2024, 12:12 PM   #2420
traptor
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Huberdeau is not our savior, so what he does does or doesn't do doesn't really matter at this point.

He's a middle 6 perimeter winger on a bottom half team. Could he play on a top line and hit 80? Sure but it would most likely be due to a popping off linemate and secondary assists on the PP.

At best at this point he's a nice support piece.a winning team does not have him as a core piece.

His cap hit doesn't really matter either right now. But it will in 4 years.

I just hope they stop with this talk about trying to bring in pieces for him. We shouldn't build anything around him.

Last edited by traptor; 05-03-2024 at 12:15 PM.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good