Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2024, 10:17 AM   #381
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:30 AM   #382
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
The Seravalli article throws cold water on the notion that this will be a cheaper option for Smith in SLC. He will still be paying the rack rate for a new franchise.

It's also why it makes sense for Meruelo to continue to advertise his "commitment" to building an arena. He needs to be seen as having options.
Likely but it will be the rack rate for 2024. If they didn't get an expansion team until, say, 2028 the way sports franchise values are growing it would for sure end up being a lot more.

And as for sports franchise values going down (some other comments I've seen in this thread), I just don't see it. As some have mentioned, they're very scarce and look at how much richer billionaires are getting year by year. Billionaires are $3.3 trillion richer than they were in 2020, only four years ago. The richer they get, they're going to keep driving this scarce market.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 10:34 AM   #383
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Which team is worse than the Coyotes? It's a joke of a franchise and a joke of a team. They play in a curling rink! lol
Team's not bad if they can spend to the cap instead of circumventing the floor and they're not buying the rink
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 10:46 AM   #384
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I wonder what's happening on the ground. Are the big shot non-hockey operations executives actively putting out job feelers? What about, say, broadcasters, athletic therapists and support staff?
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:15 AM   #385
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Here is a Salt City Shakers jersey mockup using the Arizona Coyotes template and Utah Jazz colours. The hexagon background is taken from the state flag. Maybe honey could drip from the character's mouth?

If the Golden Knights can drop the "Las," then these guys can drop the "Lake" part of the name.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 04-10-2024 at 12:18 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 11:32 AM   #386
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Sources: NHL drafting 2024-25 schedule version with Coyotes relocated to Salt Lake City
https://www.dailyfaceoff.com/news/so...salt-lake-city

Quote:
The NHL is concurrently drafting two versions of a league schedule matrix for the 2024-25 season, one with the Arizona Coyotes and another with the Coyotes franchise playing in Salt Lake City in the event of relocation, multiple sources told Daily Faceoff.

That does not mean the NHL has firmed up plans to relocate the franchise yet, just that the league has a viable contingency plan for next season. But the news comes on the heels of billionaire prospective owner Ryan Smith publicly soliciting potential names for an NHL team in Utah earlier this week.

Last edited by Playfair; 04-10-2024 at 11:34 AM.
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 11:41 AM   #387
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Yeah, it's over.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 11:43 AM   #388
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baaarrden View Post
Where will Matthews sign now after his current contract is up?
Matthews, Makar and Chris Bosh take their talent to the Alberta Foothills to create a super-team.
JBR is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JBR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 11:58 AM   #389
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I now kick myself for not making it to Mullet Arena this season. Ah well. Salt Lake City it is.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:08 PM   #390
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm still not clear why Smith would want to bring in a team that's going to compete directly with his NBA team for ticket sales. It would have to be the smallest city in North America with an NHL and NBA team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:16 PM   #391
konradical
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I mean they dont play at the same time at home? Instead of 41 games of ticket revenue, they get 82 with 2 teams.

Also they only have 1 team, the same people can support 2 teams. There are people who dont like basketball but will pay to see hockey. Vice versa.

I dont see the issue at all. The Wasatch front has 2 mil people. It is a fast growing city too.
konradical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:16 PM   #392
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

What a ####show.. someone go back to 2009 and punch me in the face for defending this rotating band of morons.
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 12:18 PM   #393
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
What a ####show.. someone go back to 2009 and punch me in the face for defending this rotating band of mormons.
ftfy.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:20 PM   #394
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I'm still not clear why Smith would want to bring in a team that's going to compete directly with his NBA team for ticket sales. It would have to be the smallest city in North America with an NHL and NBA team.
Some economies of scale. CSEC seems to be viable with 3 hockey teams, a lacrosse team, plus CFL.

Last edited by Reggie Dunlop; 04-10-2024 at 12:24 PM.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:21 PM   #395
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

As a fan of new jersey concepts, I like this.

Hope SLC can be a long-term solution. The NHL can do well in these smaller markets IMO.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:24 PM   #396
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Some economies of scale. CSEC seems to be thriving with 3 hockey teams, a lacrosse team, plus CFL.
From what I've heard, the biggest issue with having NBA and NHL teams in the same arena is the quality of the playing surface. You have to install and remove the basketball court on top of the ice, which makes the ice quality poor, and then the ice underneath causes condensation on the court.

Because it takes considerable time to form a good ice surface, melting and replacing the ice each time isn't a viable option.

So it is a bit trickier than having multiple hockey teams in the same building.
Old 04-10-2024, 12:25 PM   #397
Playfair
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
What a ####show.. someone go back to 2009 and punch me in the face for defending this rotating band of morons.
It isn't your fault. The way that the NHL allowed it to get this far is unbelievable. Hockey may be a business rather than entertainment these days, but they did a very poor job of the business side, wasting money left right and centre. They had to know this day was coming. The amount of dancing they have done to get to this point is very unprofessional, regardless of their reasoning ti try and make the franchise work in Arizona. It's a bad look for the NHL, and it will take a long time for the NHL to gain respectability and trust again for the people in Arizona
Playfair is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Playfair For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2024, 12:28 PM   #398
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

NHL teams who share arenas with a NBA team

Los Angeles Kings (Lakers and Clippers)
Dallas Stars
Colorado Avalanche
Washington Capitals
Detroit Red Wings
New York Rangers
Toronto Maple Leafs
Boston Bruins
Chicago Blackhawks
Philadelphia Flyers

So roughly a third
Old 04-10-2024, 12:31 PM   #399
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
He could be after prestige in being a multi-pro team owner and luring pro teams to SLC has funding support from the local and state governments, perhaps even a new arena.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2024, 12:42 PM   #400
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Some economies of scale. CSEC seems to be viable with 3 hockey teams, a lacrosse team, plus CFL.
Lots of cities have multiple minor league teams with lower ticket prices and lower expected attendance. I don't think Calgary could support NBA and NHL ticket pricing simultaneously in harmony and Salt Lake County is only 1.2 million. It's pretty small.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote