Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2024, 05:43 PM   #27541
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I think there is something to the analytics vs goalie group. That’s been mentioned a few times by a few different folks now
If you had a chance to save your boss $14M…I know I’d do it.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:44 PM   #27542
Icon
Franchise Player

Exp:
Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
Conroy:

I think they need to win but in spite of their goaltending, to still be interested in trading for Markstrom.

They're already on the outside looking in, they need to think they're just one move away from a playoff run
Icon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:44 PM   #27543
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caged Great View Post
Hanifin is quickly going into the boo every time he touches the puck territory.
Eh. It’s not on him to sign an 8 year deal with a team he doesn’t prefer so the Flames can get max value. I wouldn’t live somewhere for 8 years to benefit my previous employer.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:50 PM   #27544
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Lundell and a conditional first is setting yourself up for disappointment, I would imagine.
Well, I don’t think Lundell is impossible. Friedman has said Florida has put him into things this year. He’s having a bad year. But yeah, it sounds like you’re right.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:52 PM   #27545
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Eh. It’s not on him to sign an 8 year deal with a team he doesn’t prefer so the Flames can get max value. I wouldn’t live somewhere for 8 years to benefit my previous employer.
Well he could have just STFU and let every team think they have a possibility of signing him.

It's crazy that it seems like he would have had more value in the summer than after the career year he is having right now.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 05:52 PM   #27546
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Well, I don’t think Lundell is impossible. Friedman has said Florida has put him into things this year. He’s having a bad year. But yeah, it sounds like you’re right.
Rentals basically rarely return young players contributing on playoff teams especially centres.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:53 PM   #27547
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Well he could have just STFU and let every team think they have a possibility of signing him.

It's crazy that it seems like he would have had more value in the summer than after the career year he is having right now.
He wants an 8 year deal and wants to cash in on this season. That’d only work if he could get an 8 year deal in the offseason.
Flames sat on their hands hoping he would re-sign.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 05:54 PM   #27548
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

I heard Fitz interviewed on Marek this am on my way down to Kelowna...sounded totally discombobulated and somewhat self-serving. Not sure even HE knows what the F he's doing.
Old 03-05-2024, 05:56 PM   #27549
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Rentals basically rarely return young players contributing on playoff teams especially centres.
Yes, fair enough. Why would I expect a contender to want to take a piece off their roster? My thinking was that Florida might view Hanifin as enough of an impact player that they would pay the price of a young player having a down year.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:02 PM   #27550
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, fair enough. Why would I expect a contender to want to take a piece off their roster? My thinking was that Florida might view Hanifin as enough of an impact player that they would pay the price of a young player having a down year.
Probably rather just re-sign Montour for the same price than give up a young cost controlled center. Makes sense. I don't honestly expect any good pieces coming back in any of the trades.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:08 PM   #27551
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hanifin is not a rental though for the Panthers, he is willing to sign an extension for either Florida team. I have heard initial conversations with Florida has not gone well as far as Lundell's availability, that doesn't mean if they think their rival is closing in that can't change.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 06:12 PM   #27552
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Probably rather just re-sign Montour for the same price than give up a young cost controlled center. Makes sense. I don't honestly expect any good pieces coming back in any of the trades.
So far, Conroy has done a good job in these trades, overall. The Toffoli and Lindhom trades stand out to me as very positive. They gives me hope.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:14 PM   #27553
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
So far, Conroy has done a good job in these trades, overall. The Toffoli and Lindhom trades stand out to me as very positive. They gives me hope.
I'm just not trying to get my hopes up with some of the hopeful returns from this site and then the actual reporting which sounds pretty bleak.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 06:18 PM   #27554
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just not trying to get my hopes up with some of the hopeful returns from this site and then the actual reporting which sounds pretty bleak.
I'm gonna go get some realistic expectations myself.
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 06:22 PM   #27555
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Pat and Wes are having a super depressing conversation about Hanifin. They are saying the Flames are having a tough time extracting close to the value they place on Hanifin because of how Hanifin is going about things. This is very similar to what Boomer has been saying for some time about Flames’ fans needing to be prepared to be underwhelmed by the return for Hanifin. I’ve been hoping for Lundell + conditional 26 1st for some time. But I’m gonna start getting ready to feel hurt.
Lol, you wouldn't get Lundell 1 for 1 for Hanifin, let alone getting a first as well. And that's not because Hanafin isn't worth that, but just because fans fail to realize that contending teams aren't subtracting young, contributing players (even if they're struggling to reach their draft pedigree so far) when they're trying to add to their team for a playoff run. Defeats the purpose of loading up for a run.

Picks and futures, and prospects that aren't yet playing regularly on the team? Yeah, you can extract those for a great return. But the Mercer/Lundell type fan speculation is likely to just disappoint the fan base when the trades go down.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2024, 06:25 PM   #27556
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Lol, you wouldn't get Lundell 1 for 1 for Hanifin, let alone getting a first as well. And that's not because Hanafin isn't worth that, but just because fans fail to realize that contending teams aren't subtracting young, contributing players (even if they're struggling to reach their draft pedigree so far) when they're trying to add to their team for a playoff run. Defeats the purpose of loading up for a run.

Picks and futures, and prospects that aren't yet playing regularly on the team? Yeah, you can extract those for a great return. But the Mercer/Lundell type fan speculation is likely to just disappoint the fan base when the trades go down.
Chicago realized that quick, almost have to do a fake rebuild and sell youth (Hagel, Debrincat, Dach) to be in time with your "real rebuild".

The real assets are young cost controlled players.
Old 03-05-2024, 06:26 PM   #27557
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Why does everyone hate Elias Lindholm?

Seemed like a great Flame to me. Struggled this year for sure, but I feel bad for the guy; he appears to be in an all time contract year stick gripper.
I don't really see most people hating Lindholm. There are some, but that'll happen for every player. I mostly see fans grateful he didn't accept the offer the Flames offered him (7-8M AAV) and also happy the Flames were able to get an NHL player with close to equivalent value on trade market with another contract year, a decent prospect, a pick and a conditional pick for him.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:35 PM   #27558
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I really hope a team like Dallas or L.A comes out of nowhere to grab hanifin
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2024, 06:39 PM   #27559
All In Good Time
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’m afraid we are going to end up with a second and a cap dump for Hanifin