Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-04-2024, 03:19 PM   #5381
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tbf I've seen both CPS and Tsuut’ina Police on that stretch. It's just not heavily speed enforced because, well, nowhere is anymore
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 03:41 PM   #5382
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Sorry, "passes "through" makes it sound like it, well, passes through!
I meant "through" as in, like... a tunnel through a mountain. It goes through the mountain, not on the mountain.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:56 PM   #5383
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
I meant "through" as in, like... a tunnel through a mountain. It goes through the mountain, not on the mountain.
The Trans Canada highway goes "through" Calgary!

The English language is kinda flawed.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 04:57 PM   #5384
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

'Tis a silly language.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2024, 10:22 PM   #5385
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
So apparently the city of Calgary has a bylaw against engine ######er brakes? Does that apply on the ring road? I hear trucks using them going downhill from Old Banff.
Excuse me. We don't call them that any more. We call them engine 'differently unaccelerated' brakes.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2024, 08:51 AM   #5386
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thinking a bit more about the horror loop at westbound Glenmore to southbound Stoney. A key point here is that the interchange is primarily built on land acquired from Tsuutin'a, meaning it is subject to restrictions in the 2013 agreement. There was no additional right of way that could be acquired, tunneling near impossible due utilities, and major changes had to be approved by Tsuutin'a.

Their hands were tied.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2024, 11:45 AM   #5387
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drove from the airport to Springbank using RR yesterday. What a treat to not use Deerfoot and to cut off about 10-15 minutes time. The only issue was the ice conditions on the ramp from the RR onto westbound Hwy 8. They rest of the RR was cleared, they just decided that hardly anyone turns to the west so the just left it icy.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 03:20 PM   #5388
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man the off and on ramps to the SW Ring Road at Highway 8 suuuuuucked with the snowfall. The plows apparently forgot they existed.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2024, 03:49 PM   #5389
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

The ramp from Highway 8 West to SW Ring Road South suuuuuucked before too, except when it was hot and dry out, the ramp wasn't cleaned so it was littered in sand and crap. Moving at even a slightly spirited pace around the ramp meant you'd start losing grip.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:00 PM   #5390
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With the Ring Road fully opened would it be quicker to take Stoney to Okotoks or Deerfoot from Country Hills?

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:03 PM   #5391
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
With the Ring Road fully opened would it be quicker to take Stoney to Okotoks or Deerfoot from Country Hills?
That one would probably depend on the time of day. I'd say Deerfoot normally unless it's rush hour
Old 01-18-2024, 04:17 PM   #5392
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah even right now with major slowdowns on southbound Deerfoot at the usual bad points, Google Maps shows Deerfoot as slightly faster.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2024, 04:20 PM   #5393
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
Probably Deerfoot unless rush hour. I assume you mean the community and not just somewhere on Country Hills Blvd (in which case, whichever is quicker to get onto).
Old 01-18-2024, 04:21 PM   #5394
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah and really that's the real answer, just check google to see if deerfoot is bunged up or not
Old 01-18-2024, 04:24 PM   #5395
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
The ramp from Highway 8 West to SW Ring Road South suuuuuucked before too, except when it was hot and dry out, the ramp wasn't cleaned so it was littered in sand and crap. Moving at even a slightly spirited pace around the ramp meant you'd start losing grip.
I was actually talking about going from EB Highway 8 onto NB Stoney. It's just 2 lanes (one for Stoney and one if you want to immediately exit onto 17th Ave).
It's a pretty tight turn and they hadn't plowed so the traction was iffy.

I've never had an issue from NB Ring Road/Stoney onto WB Hwy 8. Or from EB Highway 8 onto SB Ring Road. Lots of room usually at least a couple well plowed lanes and the turn is pretty gentle.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 09:05 PM   #5396
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Having taken the Bow Trail section now 5 or 6 times in dry and snowy conditions over the past month or so, with two different vehicles, hearing some pretty noticeable road noise about halfway up from old highway 8 to Bow Trail, and back down the other side.

Nowhere else in the city do I ever hear anywhere near that particular noise, or really any road noise at all TBQH.

Tires on both vehicles are new as of Spring 2023, and are on totally different types of vehicles...so makes me things it something to do with the materials of the roadway or base of the roadway?
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:12 PM   #5397
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
Having taken the Bow Trail section now 5 or 6 times in dry and snowy conditions over the past month or so, with two different vehicles, hearing some pretty noticeable road noise about halfway up from old highway 8 to Bow Trail, and back down the other side.

Nowhere else in the city do I ever hear anywhere near that particular noise, or really any road noise at all TBQH.

Tires on both vehicles are new as of Spring 2023, and are on totally different types of vehicles...so makes me things it something to do with the materials of the roadway or base of the roadway?
It's funny you mention that. I have noticed the same. Very noticable road noise heading south going downhill past Bow Trail intersection on Stoney Trail. Must be road construction related?
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 09:20 PM   #5398
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Tbf I've seen both CPS and Tsuut’ina Police on that stretch. It's just not heavily speed enforced because, well, nowhere is anymore
Nor should speed limits be as aggressively enforced when you make speed limits arbitrarily low and way too slow for safe driving conditions. Especially the case on the new ring road. Speed limits are a joke these days. 60 when should be 70. 80 when should be 100, etc.

How about, here’s a thought, rather than random arbitrary give everybody +10kph over speed limits you make limits higher then actually enforce them.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2024, 09:48 PM   #5399
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Nor should speed limits be as aggressively enforced when you make speed limits arbitrarily low and way too slow for safe driving conditions. Especially the case on the new ring road. Speed limits are a joke these days. 60 when should be 70. 80 when should be 100, etc.

How about, here’s a thought, rather than random arbitrary give everybody +10kph over speed limits you make limits higher then actually enforce them.
I believe the majority of Calgarians view posted speed limits as the recommended minimums.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2024, 11:29 PM   #5400
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
I believe the majority of Calgarians view posted speed limits as the recommended minimums.
People always say things like this, but as someone who generally goes 10k above most limits (excluding residential) I just don't see it. This city if anything is a mucky mess of selfish, annoying drivers going anywhere from 10 under to 5 over with no coordination as a group.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote