Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2024, 07:23 AM   #13221
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least Biden is surrounded by sane people. We've already seen what kind of chaos a Trump Whitehouse looks like, and he's burned through all the "best" options. Maybe this time he'd even been forced to give Eric some real responsibility. *shudder*
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 07:54 AM   #13222
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

You guys are all missing the point.

The obvious and only solution here is......Bernie Sanders. Lol
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 07:56 AM   #13223
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, the Bernie Bros have been conspicuously absent amongst all this "he's too old" talk...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 09:31 AM   #13224
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Yes, the Bernie Bros have been conspicuously absent amongst all this "he's too old" talk...
Bernie is ageless.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 09:48 AM   #13225
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1757070367464861809
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 10:53 AM   #13226
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
At least Biden is surrounded by sane people. We've already seen what kind of chaos a Trump Whitehouse looks like, and he's burned through all the "best" options. Maybe this time he'd even been forced to give Eric some real responsibility. *shudder*
On top of this, the "sane" Republicans who defy Trump are proverbially rounded up and shot by the MAGA mobs. Cheney and Romney are the most prolific example.

If a Democrat advisor goes out of their way to call out a Biden policy or gaff, they are not sent off to the political wilderness by the Biden mob.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 11:03 AM   #13227
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

The Republican who voted against impeaching the homeland security secretary is retiring.. he says it's not related to all the backlash of not voting with the MAGA mind but the # of "RINOs" retiring is piling up again this year.

Is there any actual indication that Biden's supposed memory problems have impacted the country in any negative way?

Mixing up names and talking slow vs. the party that thinks the superbowl is fixed to rig an election and that the president should encourage Russia attacking NATO members.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 11:21 AM   #13228
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The whole "Biden is too old" thing is basically the James Comey/Hilary's emails of 2024. It's all just silly sensationalist bulls***, especially when compared to what another Trump term would bring, which of course would be much, much worse.

I'll say it again. The choice is easy: With Biden you get a boring, elderly president who sometimes forgets things, but who actually cares about the country and surrounds himself with smart and qualified people.

With Trump you get total chaos, major uncertainty, and a quick decent into fascism while his administration destroys American democracy.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to direwolf For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 11:32 AM   #13229
KelVarnsen
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's just ####ty people making ####ty excuses on why they vote for Trump
KelVarnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KelVarnsen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 11:39 AM   #13230
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
do you want to eat a stale slice of bread or a pile of steaming ####? I wish cake ran this year but it didn't happen.
Yeah but this is the same type of easy choice. It's stale bread all day.

And honestly, if we're looking at the achievements instead of the weird media cut, the bread isn't even stale. It's a beautiful sourdough that seems to be kicking every other type of bread's ass.

So you get questionable bread of unknown quality (at worst, stale) vs steaming pile of #### (likely containing nails or some other adulterant quality to make it even more lethal to swallow.)
HM gee tough choice here.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 11:41 AM   #13231
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the Trump quote about letting Russia attack NATO allies doesn't spark concern on the right, I don't know what will. Aren't they the party of national security, law and order? I cannot accept that they're okay with his international policies that would significantly destabilize democratic allies...or maybe they actually are in favor of autocratic rule and aren't truly American? I just don't get how they've abandoned every principle they've campaigned on as a political party for multiple decades, just to be subservient to a demagogue. It's so depressing. Can we bring back the Whig party now?
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 12:24 PM   #13232
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

They'll qualify it because Trump said Russia can attack those countries not paying enough, not ALL countries in NATO, because that makes it better somehow. They seem to think NATO has membership dues and the US is paying for those that don't pay them.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 12:28 PM   #13233
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

I'm not American, therefore I'm not voting in their presidential election. We can discuss why Biden is a poor candidate without putting the future of democracy at risk, I very much doubt that there are any American voters who will be basing their decision on what CP has to say.

The entrenched gerontocracy that rules America is a concerning issue that must be addressed. It is the accurate perception that their leaders are out of touch, corruptible ancients that provokes apathy and resentment among the electorate so that babbling fascists like Trump have any traction at all. Yes, another Trump presidency would be a disaster, but accepting the status quo is a different disaster that will just take longer to play out.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:54 PM   #13234
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammies View Post
I'm not American, therefore I'm not voting in their presidential election. We can discuss why Biden is a poor candidate without putting the future of democracy at risk, I very much doubt that there are any American voters who will be basing their decision on what CP has to say.

The entrenched gerontocracy that rules America is a concerning issue that must be addressed. It is the accurate perception that their leaders are out of touch, corruptible ancients that provokes apathy and resentment among the electorate so that babbling fascists like Trump have any traction at all. Yes, another Trump presidency would be a disaster, but accepting the status quo is a different disaster that will just take longer to play out.
The thing is, voting 3rd party or staying home does nothing to threaten the duopoly. All it does is help Trump secure a trip back to the WH, which if it happens will mean the end of American democracy and the birth of Russia 2.0.

Looking at what happened to Ukraine, do you really want to share a border a Russia clone? As a Canadian you very much have skin in this game. Don't ever think you don't.

The disaster of another Trump presidency is many orders of magnitude a worse disaster than "accepting the status quo" as you put it.
Old 02-12-2024, 12:55 PM   #13235
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The entrenched gerontocracy that rules America is a concerning issue that must be addressed. It is the accurate perception that their leaders are out of touch, corruptible ancients that provokes apathy and resentment among the electorate so that babbling fascists like Trump have any traction at all.
You're not wrong. But it's a self solving problem within 10 years.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 01:01 PM   #13236
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would like to be enlightened:

What makes voting status quo in this election, as an american, dangerous?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2024, 03:08 PM   #13237
jammies
Basement Chicken Choker

Location: In a land without pants, or war, or want. But mostly we care about the pants.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
What makes voting status quo in this election, as an american, dangerous?
It's not voting for, but accepting, the status quo that is dangerous. One can hope Biden wins rather than Trump and still believe that the entire American two-party system and both parties within it are dysfunctional. Further, and as I previously said, I'm not voting, and neither are most people involved in this thread as we aren't Americans - we don't need to grudgingly endorse anyone as we are only observers and thus shouldn't be afraid of making pertinent observations.

Do we want to spend the next nine months exclusively reiterating that Trump is a dangerous moron? Or should we also discuss why the "best" candidates available are deeply flawed for the third consecutive presidential election and why the calibre of candidates, in general, has deteriorated from an already mediocre standard?

Are the structural flaws of the American system going to cause its failure? Can that system be meaningfully reformed, or will it take a civil war or revolution to destroy it so that it can be rebuilt? Many questions are more interesting than who to vote for in an election that we aren't voting in, especially as the answer for anyone who isn't brainwashed or dull is obvious.
Old 02-12-2024, 09:18 PM   #13238
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

Quote:

Or should we also discuss why the "best" candidates available are deeply flawed for the third consecutive presidential election and why the calibre of candidates, in general, has deteriorated from an already mediocre standard?

I do not believe that Hillary Clinton was a deeply flawed candidate, and I believe she significantly exceeded the standards one would expect. I am completely convinced that almost all objections to her candidacy are entirely rooted in sexism and not based on anything rational.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2024, 09:20 PM   #13239
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think the Trump can't win narrative was helpful either...so many people didn't bother voting. That being said she got 3M more votes...what a system lol
Old 02-13-2024, 04:35 AM   #13240
Ped
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
If the Trump quote about letting Russia attack NATO allies doesn't spark concern on the right, I don't know what will. Aren't they the party of national security, law and order? I cannot accept that they're okay with his international policies that would significantly destabilize democratic allies...or maybe they actually are in favor of autocratic rule and aren't truly American? I just don't get how they've abandoned every principle they've campaigned on as a political party for multiple decades, just to be subservient to a demagogue. It's so depressing. Can we bring back the Whig party now?

Plus isn't there a whole bunch of people who said they woudl rather be Russian than vote Democrat? There's no reasoning with that, and they can justify whatever they want.
Ped is offline   Reply With Quote