Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2024, 10:30 AM   #161
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_calderon View Post
I digress because this isn't the right thread, but there is such a thing as personal responsibility and decision-making.
Indeed - as it relates to this discussion and your contributions, I think you should follow your own advice.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 10:30 AM   #162
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the thing though - not everyone does. In this instance, one thing she could've done is not get blackout drunk. I am not saying this would have made any difference in this instance, and lots of teenagers get blackout drunk weekly, if not daily at college/uni.

Everyone has a difference risk tolerance level. It's risky walking out of your front door.

Maybe she thought sleeping with a champion junior hockey player who was on his way to NHL superstardom was an achievement. Maybe it was purely physical attraction. Another girl may've heard stories of what young men with wildly inflated egos get up to in the bedroom and would stick well clear.
Yuck. This is a gross take.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:30 AM   #163
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
You want to tell that to all my female friends who have been drugged on innocent nights out where they only planned on having a few drinks?

It's their fault, they walked out their front door
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:30 AM   #164
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FBI View Post
Boy, Eric and Cory sure were talking up how great it was that the Flames have turned the corner and helping their players with mental health situations.. If Dube is indeed one of the 5, the fact that they even lumped the two situations together with helping Kylington is a really bad look.
Do you think Dube approached Cory and Eric and said "hey guys I'm a gang rapist"

They wouldn't know any more than the rest of us.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 10:31 AM   #165
cam_calderon
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
You want to tell that to all my female friends who have been drugged on innocent nights out where they only planned on having a few drinks?
I know a couple people who've had their drinks spiked, and it obviously was not their fault. But you have to accept the premise there are sinister people out there and that drinks can be spiked, unless you're happy living in a fantasy land of sunshine and rainbows.
Old 01-24-2024, 10:31 AM   #166
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I digress because this isn't the right thread, but there is such a thing as personal responsibility and decision-making.
You are going to need to change your signature to a different kind of apologist soon...

There is no amount of 'personal responsibility' that displaces the fact that she went to the room of one player and then was gang raped after that player let seven other players into the room.
Bonded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:31 AM   #167
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Put it this way, if anyone here is a parent of a teenage girl I doubt they'd be encouraging them to hang around a known culture of hazing and lack of respect for peers. Being good at hockey brings out the worst in a lot of kids.
I can’t believe you keep typing.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:32 AM   #168
MacDaddy77
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where is the fallout for Hockey Canada executives who participated in the payout and coverup.
MacDaddy77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:33 AM   #169
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The only personal responsibility and decision making that is relevant in this situation is on the part of the men who are personally responsible for making the decision to sexually assault a woman.

End of story.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 10:34 AM   #170
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I know a couple people who've had their drinks spiked, and it obviously was not their fault. But you have to accept the premise there are sinister people out there and that drinks can be spiked, unless you're happy living in a fantasy land of sunshine and rainbows.
Put the phone down.

Don’t check this thread again.

Just walk away.

It’ll be fine.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:34 AM   #171
jaydub74
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
There is literally nothing to be said about protecting yourself. Nobody says after a random shooting in the states “you have to protect yourself, why would you go to a movie theatre in a country with so many guns”. Not even sure how one is put in that situation. There is no situation to protect yourself from if everyone else has a moral compass and knows the law.
Totally agree, but the issue is there are individuals out there with no moral compass, who disobey the law or feel they won't get caught.

We can't protect ourselves from everything, but we all take precautions. When you're walking alone at night, do you walk down the dark alley, or choose to walk in areas that are illuminated and populated. I wish we could say we can walk anywhere we want without concern, but that's just not reality.

To be clear, I'm 100% in agreement that the five players are at fault and should be held accountable but I'm also a realist, and when my daughters are older my wife and I will have to explain that not everyone has a moral compass. I wish it was something we didn't have to do.

Last edited by jaydub74; 01-24-2024 at 10:39 AM.
jaydub74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:38 AM   #172
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Rape Culture is wild.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:40 AM   #173
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy77 View Post
Where is the fallout for Hockey Canada executives who participated in the payout and coverup.
This is a trickier one imo. These executives wouldn't be experts in this type of thing, and they probably were just following high cost legal advice and deferring to that expertise. The police investigated the case and closed it, and then there was a settlement through a court of law. What should they have done? Leaked it to the media after all of that? Maybe...I dunno. The police said there wasn't enough evidence to charge.

If anything, it's on the cops and there should be fallout there. If they charge the players now after re-opening the case, they're effectively saying they botched the first investigation.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:42 AM   #174
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Several other things can also be true..
- He was involved
- The Flames have a mechanism to support mental health
- He doesn't suffer from mental health issues but abuses this mechanism to hide/deflect from repercussions.

Me and most on here love that the Flames have this support system. Kylington is better for it.

And we hope that this mechanism doesn't get abused by those not needing it. Especially in this kind of circumstance. Future participants may be reluctant to seek help if they think the validity of their condition gets questioned. Or some nebulous threshold of diagnosis is needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to dustygoon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 10:43 AM   #175
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no doubt these 5 players are suffering some acute mental distress right now. I just don't really think that's the story here.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 10:43 AM   #176
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

The victim blaming here is sadly very reminiscent of that in, “To Kill a Tiger”.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2024, 10:44 AM   #177
Five-hole
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bro. Stop.

The world we want to live in is where men are taught not to be sexual predators, not where women are taught how to avoid them.

Blaming women for not taking appropriate precautions -- like, apparently, being in a bar at all -- perpetuates sexual predation. I can't stress it enough that you need to understand that what you are doing is quintessential victim blaming.
Five-hole is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 87 Users Say Thank You to Five-hole For This Useful Post:
AndyM, anyonebutedmonton, apiquard, atb, Barnet Flame, bdubbs, beaver buzz, BeltlineFan, Bohica, Bonded, Britflamesfan, btimbit, Burninator, bzoo02, Caboose, calgarybornnraised, CF84, City of Champignons, Cortez, csnarpy, Dang, devel, devo22, Dion_Iggy_Kipper!!!, dobbles, DownInFlames, DT77, dustygoon, emti, EN FUEGO, Enoch Root, Fan in Exile, firebug, flamesfan6, flizzenflozz, Funkhouser, Galakanokis, GreenHardHat, IamNotKenKing, jaikorven, Jaybo, jayswin, jesters91, Jetfire, jg13, Jiri Hrdina, jtfrogger, KipperRules, KootenayFlamesFan, Lanny'sDaMan, LeftWing, Leondros, M*A*S*H 4077, MacDaddy77, mikephoen, mile, MissTeeks, MolsonInBothHands, MRCboicgy, Neeper, Nyah, OGmudbone, OutOfTheCube, powderjunkie, Reaper, redflamesfan08, renny, Rhettzky, rogermexico, Scornfire, sekimet, Smilt, Snuffleupagus, Stampede2TheCup, stang, Textcritic, The Big Chill, The Fonz, the2bears, TheGingerbeardMan, Titan2, trackercowe, undercoverbrother, Wormius, You Need a Thneed, Zevo, zontar
Old 01-24-2024, 10:46 AM   #178
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five-hole View Post
Bro. Stop.

The world we want to live in is where men are taught not to be sexual predators, not where women are taught how to avoid them.

Blaming women for not taking appropriate precautions -- like, apparently, being in a bar at all -- perpetuates sexual predation. I can't stress it enough that you need to understand that what you are doing is quintessential victim blaming.
out of thanks but Thanks
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 10:47 AM   #179
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That's the thing though - not everyone does. In this instance, one thing she could've done is not get blackout drunk. I am not saying this would have made any difference in this instance, and lots of teenagers get blackout drunk weekly, if not daily at college/uni.

Everyone has a difference risk tolerance level. It's risky walking out of your front door.

Maybe she thought sleeping with a champion junior hockey player who was on his way to NHL superstardom was an achievement. Maybe it was purely physical attraction. Another girl may've heard stories of what young men with wildly inflated egos get up to in the bedroom and would stick well clear.
Quote:
Quote:
Put it this way, if anyone here is a parent of a teenage girl I doubt they'd be encouraging them to hang around a known culture of hazing and lack of respect for peers. Being good at hockey brings out the worst in a lot of kids.
Quote:
Jesus ####ing Christ

Can you please stop.

Or follow your own good advice

Quote:
showing care and compassion is a good start.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2024, 10:47 AM   #180
EN FUEGO
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Dude, first off, no amount of drinks makes getting gang raped someone's fault. We all know there are bad people in the world, some of us would like to see them held accountable for their actions so that other bad people will see that there are consequences here.

The world has moved on from the victim blaming that you are gently spilling out on this thread, as it was proven long ago to not be a great rape prevention strategy for society.

EN FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote