Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-2023, 05:56 AM   #641
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
People seem to be worse than ever coming to work sick. Was supposed to go to the filed with the boss in the same truck, long drive, he's getting sick. He's annoyed I said I'm not going. Haven't had more than 2 days off in three years and if I get sick over this break I will snap. Fata him.

Had a Christmas lunch last week, one VP had covid on the Monday and was sitting next to me coughing in my face for the entire lunch, I was fuming, but could not escape.
Straight up pieces of ####, the both of them.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2023, 07:40 AM   #642
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Me to coworker, you look and sound like crap ( both wfh, thankfully)

Them, yeah, its been bad for a week now

Me, see a dr? Take a covid test?

Them, no, i'll be fine, we have a big family xmas thing to host

Me, to myself... you dumb ####
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:06 AM   #643
bagofpucks
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I believe this year's flu strain is H1N1. So that would make sense. It's also in the vaccine for this season, so it should be effective.
Yah, we all got vaccinated early, so I was thinking it may have been RSV instead of H1N1, but who knows. If it is H1N1 it would be an example of the vaccine working though as I’m the only one of our family of four that got it.
bagofpucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:30 AM   #644
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everyone is our house got covid booster and flu shot. And the then proceeded to get sick with VIOLENT throwing up. My body is still sore a week later.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 11:45 AM   #645
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Everyone is our house got covid booster and flu shot. And the then proceeded to get sick with VIOLENT throwing up. My body is still sore a week later.
COVID boosters or flu shots ain’t going to stop you from getting a stomach bug.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2023, 02:17 PM   #646
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/just-...064240?cmp=rss

I really don't understand people. It takes 15 minutes to go to a pharmacy and get flu and covid shots. Somehow less than half of people over 70 have got it. Why? And if you have any additional risk factors, why not? And if you just don't like being sick(I see many people bitching in threads here about being sick), then why not do it?

Baffling.
Because, like everything this decade, getting immunizations has become political. It's all lies so the government can kill you off or brainwash you, Big Pharma just wants the money. Alphas don't need immunizations, just betas. I hate the 2020s.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 02:52 PM   #647
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Because, like everything this decade, getting immunizations has become political. It's all lies so the government can kill you off or brainwash you, Big Pharma just wants the money. Alphas don't need immunizations, just betas. I hate the 2020s.
That would make sense if flu vaccination rates dropped recently because your supposed political theory and associated conspiracies. But rates have always been poor so how do you explain things 20 or 30 years ago? Maybe it is not a newly found political tie?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-in-last-year/
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2023, 02:56 PM   #648
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
H1N1 would probably explain it.

Guess I'm paying the price for getting the vaccines a bit too late, just got them last week.

Or maybe it's a super duper vaccine avoiding strain.
Or, it's very possible the vaccine just doesn't work that well for you. Which would be fine if everyone else got it so that spread was reduced.

Except only 12% of people apparently cared to provide that courtesy to others.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2023, 11:12 PM   #649
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
That would make sense if flu vaccination rates dropped recently because your supposed political theory and associated conspiracies. But rates have always been poor so how do you explain things 20 or 30 years ago? Maybe it is not a newly found political tie?

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...-in-last-year/

This year (thus far) has the lowest flu vaccination rates in a decade:

"You can trace a direct line from those horror stories to the province's lowest influenza vaccination rate in more than a decade. Less than 23 per cent of Albertans have their flu shot. And there's even less interest in the latest COVID-19 vaccine – only 15.5 per cent of people have received it since September's launch."

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alta-prem...ign=2023-12-22
Old 12-25-2023, 08:05 AM   #650
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

I love how people complain about access and wait times, yet don't do the system any favors when it comes to keeping their own butts out of hospitals and clinics.

Not getting vaccinated does not help that situation. Yet people still refuse because they feel like they're 'a step ahead' of evil big pharma. And yet big business takes advantage of consumers in all nooks and crannies of a capitalist system.

And the premier isn't making matters easier by muddying the messaging because her conspiratorial beliefs must be coded into her governance even if she doesn't verbalize her crappy takes directly.

It's a perpetuating mess.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2023, 10:13 AM   #651
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio View Post
This year (thus far) has the lowest flu vaccination rates in a decade:

"You can trace a direct line from those horror stories to the province's lowest influenza vaccination rate in more than a decade. Less than 23 per cent of Albertans have their flu shot. And there's even less interest in the latest COVID-19 vaccine – only 15.5 per cent of people have received it since September's launch."

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/alta-prem...ign=2023-12-22
Okay, but where is the link to this being politically driven like Sainter is alluding too? He is a link to the flu vaccination rates in Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/influenza-the-flu

The current number might be lowest in 10 years but it is comparable to 11, 12 and 13 years ago where is was also around or under 23%. Was it also political back then?
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 10:19 AM   #652
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Okay, but where is the link to this being politically driven like Sainter is alluding too? He is a link to the flu vaccination rates in Alberta: https://www.alberta.ca/influenza-the-flu

The current number might be lowest in 10 years but it is comparable to 11, 12 and 13 years ago where is was also around or under 23%. Was it also political back then?
The Jenny McCarthy “vaccines cause autism” thing was early 2000s.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2023, 08:13 PM   #653
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I would suspect that was when policy changes were made to from old people and kids to everyone.

So yes it was political in the sense that politicians stayed out of the way and allowed public health to provide messaging as required based on best available evidence.

Quote:
According to documents first obtained by the Globe and Mail, Danielle Smith's government recently directed Alberta Health Services to remove the words “influenza” and “COVID” from the province’s fall vaccination campaign.
The article says internal documents show the province told the authority to wait before communicating with the public, even as illness rose.
The premier is still refusing to tell Albertans to get immunized, instead sticking to a commonly-repeated deflect.
"People need to talk to their doctor about what vaccinations they need and how to protect themselves," Smith said Thursday.

The problem? More than 700,000 Albertans don't have a doctor.
When pressed by CTV News, the premier said there is information online.
"There are public health officials who are making public commentary, there's walk-in clinics," Smith continued.
"I think that there are a lot of avenues for people to be able to get good medical advice, and I don't think they go to politicians to get medical advice. I'm certainly not going to give it."
This is a failure of leadership and perhaps Sabotage leading to preventable deaths.

Last edited by GGG; 12-25-2023 at 08:16 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2023, 08:49 PM   #654
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

This is a bit of speculation, but I'd suggest that the vaccination numbers might have been lower in 2010 and 2011 because they were so high in 2009. That was the year of the H1N1 pandemic, when regular clinics were overwhelmed, and special clinics were set up in locations like the Stampede Grandstand. Without the headlines from that, people probably didn't feel as motivated to get vaccinated.
Old 12-26-2023, 06:25 AM   #655
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So she says politicians shouldnt give medical advice but also that politicians should be the ones making the final public health decisions.

Im sure itll be fine...
puffnstuff is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2023, 07:21 AM   #656
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

Me and my family have been sick for at least a month now.. just sinus discomfort/flemmy cough. It can piss off any day now.

Kid in preschool doesn't help
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
kn
Old 12-26-2023, 07:49 AM   #657
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan! View Post
Me and my family have been sick for at least a month now.. just sinus discomfort/flemmy cough. It can piss off any day now.

Kid in preschool doesn't help
Did anyone have their vaccines this fall?
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2023, 02:03 PM   #658
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
COVID boosters or flu shots ain’t going to stop you from getting a stomach bug.
or from getting COVID
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 02:57 PM   #659
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
or from getting COVID
Got him! Another lib owned.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2023, 03:12 PM   #660
Brendone
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:
Default 2022-23 Flu/covid/RSV season

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirk diggler View Post
or from getting COVID

Such a shame vaccines are an “all or nothing” scenario. Maybe someday they’ll create some that reduce the effects. Dare to dream

Last edited by Brendone; 12-26-2023 at 03:16 PM.
Brendone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brendone For This Useful Post: