Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2023, 02:43 PM   #101
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

VAR really sucks. Liverpool’s last minute equalizer was ruled out for handball after it hit MacAllister’s armpit area (which I thought wasn’t considered a handball, but really I have no idea what the rule is anymore). But again the bigger concern is that these reviews take way too long and occur so often that we’ve hit the point where I don’t celebrate goals live as they happen anymore.

I really think they need to review and adjust this whole system. VAR now basically acts as an additional ref throughout the game rather then a fall back plan to catch clear and obvious errors. It’s damaging the quality of the entertainment.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 03:05 PM   #102
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
VAR really sucks. Liverpool’s last minute equalizer was ruled out for handball after it hit MacAllister’s armpit area (which I thought wasn’t considered a handball, but really I have no idea what the rule is anymore). But again the bigger concern is that these reviews take way too long and occur so often that we’ve hit the point where I don’t celebrate goals live as they happen anymore.

I really think they need to review and adjust this whole system. VAR now basically acts as an additional ref throughout the game rather then a fall back plan to catch clear and obvious errors. It’s damaging the quality of the entertainment.
I would say I agree with almost all of this post. To be clear though, I have zero sympathy for the armpit ball because that exact call won you a CL in 2019! It's also how I know the rule changed...as soon as we got screwed with it, they made it so it's not supposed to be called anymore!

But regardless, VAR is honestly ruining the game. I completely agree about the goal celebrations because a goal that looks amazing or has a huge impact has to be examined for 5 minutes. There are just so many issues with it, and the positives in exchange for all this are nearly none.

And yeah, I get that the offsides are a yes/no, but to me the entire thing goes against the intent of the rule in the first place. You have offside so that offensive players aren't gaining a huge advantage by being obviously way offside. You can't convince me that someone with his big toe across the line is gaining anything though; its just completely stupid and a waster of everyones time and sensibility.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 03:09 PM   #103
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’m with you on the offside calls too. One of the best parts of the Cavalry games is celebrating goals and not having to worry about this crap. It’s a quick glance at the linesman and then carry on celebrating because we know it’s actually going to count. That’s more important than getting these ticky tacky calls correct (which they can’t do with consistency anyway).

They should probably move to a coaches challenge system, where coaches have to decide in a few seconds whether there is an obvious enough error to ask for a review.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Big Chill For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2023, 03:26 PM   #104
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I would say I agree with almost all of this post. To be clear though, I have zero sympathy for the armpit ball because that exact call won you a CL in 2019! It's also how I know the rule changed...as soon as we got screwed with it, they made it so it's not supposed to be called anymore!

But regardless, VAR is honestly ruining the game. I completely agree about the goal celebrations because a goal that looks amazing or has a huge impact has to be examined for 5 minutes. There are just so many issues with it, and the positives in exchange for all this are nearly none.

And yeah, I get that the offsides are a yes/no, but to me the entire thing goes against the intent of the rule in the first place. You have offside so that offensive players aren't gaining a huge advantage by being obviously way offside. You can't convince me that someone with his big toe across the line is gaining anything though; its just completely stupid and a waster of everyones time and sensibility.
I dont know about 'armpit ball' because the rules are so weird now, but watching that live overall, I was okay with it.

Maybe because ManU/Copenhagen ruined it for me yesterday?

The thing is...I dont mind a 'handball' call when it directly impacts the opportunity for a goal.

In the ManU/Copenhagen match it was incidental contact that just happened to be in the box, but the goal-scoring opportunity was slim to none. Thats garbage.

In the Liverpool match that goalscoring opportunity doesnt happen without that Mac Allister play, so if that play isnt allowed then that goal-scoring opportunity shouldnt have been either, thats fair.

Then I watched the highlight of the West Ham match where the goalscorer was well, well onside but he cant celebrate the goal because its under review.

I saw the Linesman's flag go up and thought that there was no way that was offside.

So then review...review...review...good goal! Now you can celebrate. But the moment is gone.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2023, 04:24 PM   #105
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I’m with you on the offside calls too. One of the best parts of the Cavalry games is celebrating goals and not having to worry about this crap. It’s a quick glance at the linesman and then carry on celebrating because we know it’s actually going to count. That’s more important than getting these ticky tacky calls correct (which they can’t do with consistency anyway).

They should probably move to a coaches challenge system, where coaches have to decide in a few seconds whether there is an obvious enough error to ask for a review.
That, or have a system where the refs can ask for assistance if they need it. Like they’re pretty sure a guy is offside, can you just have a look for me? That sort of thing, rather than checking every little thing and trying to get 100% accuracy, when that’s an impossible goal in the first place.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #106
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

sure, Dortmund were poor again - but Stuttgarts evolution over the past few months has been breathtaking. Should have scored more in this one (also missed a pen), but still, they completely dominated Dortmund. Sebastian Hoeneß has done an unreal job.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2023, 09:15 PM   #107
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hear that Kane feller is doing pretty well in that there Bundesliga...scoring the goals and whatnot.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 11-13-2023, 05:24 AM   #108
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's no Guirassy, but he's okay.
Old 11-24-2023, 02:54 PM   #109
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Bayern win but Kane's never going to get an easier one than that.

Old 11-28-2023, 03:04 PM   #110
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Newcastle got robbed there, was really looking forward to PSG going out in the group stages.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:14 PM   #111
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

not surprised PSG got a gift like this, but slightly surprised it went against a club Newcastle. Scandalous decision, but I guess this is what happens in the age of oil clubs.
Old 11-28-2023, 03:44 PM   #112
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Disappointed that City somehow pulled it out of the fire.

Old 11-28-2023, 04:18 PM   #113
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice to see Dortmund go through, that’s what they do. They seem to put it together enough in Europe no matter their league form
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 11:03 AM   #114
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Man United steal some Bayern Munich kits or what?
Old 11-29-2023, 12:08 PM   #115
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Onana is getting run out of town if they don't win this. First one you could maybe blame on the wall, second goal is appaling.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #116
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is an all time goalkeeping performance from Onana…
Old 11-29-2023, 12:17 PM   #117
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are United going to score 9 away goals and not even get a single win? Fun ass game for the neutral though.
Old 11-29-2023, 12:46 PM   #118
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was the best worst game I’ve seen in a while. Absolute carnage, no one pretending to track back, highly entertaining
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2023, 12:49 PM   #119
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
That was the best worst game I’ve seen in a while. Absolute carnage, no one pretending to track back, highly entertaining
i live for these games, always bet the over.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2023, 12:53 PM   #120
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean United away in the CL has been a guaranteed over. I suppose at least they didn't lose this one? But yeah no doubt sloppy, not well played games always entertain more, both teams were wide open and I'm genuinely not sure how United didn't score in the last 10.