Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2023, 11:55 AM   #241
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved this as a series (and character) ending for Loki, but definitely wished they had another season before they got to this point.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 12:19 PM   #242
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
Loved this as a series (and character) ending for Loki, but definitely wished they had another season before they got to this point.
Yeah, me too. I gotta admit, the 'Buddy Cop' scenes with Loki and Morbius were pretty good!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 01:00 PM   #243
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm starting to think I'm just not bright enough to keep up with multiverse plots.

So how was it Kang was around in Ant-Man 3? Is that a different Kang?
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2023, 01:23 PM   #244
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
So how was it Kang was around in Ant-Man 3? Is that a different Kang?
Mobius touched on it just before he left the TVA.

He told B-15 that one of the variants of He who remains caused a ruckus in a realm adjacent to 616 (the main MCU universe) but they (implied to be Antman and Wasp) handled it.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2023, 07:43 PM   #245
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really enjoyed the Terry Gilliam-esque nature of the whole second season.

Unexpectedly sad and touching at the end, Loki ended up having the best overall character arc.... in the entire MCU?
Old 11-15-2023, 09:21 PM   #246
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Didn't get around to posting after I watched but yeah that was a great final and character arc for Loki.

Loved the time travel stuff although the multiverse stuff sometimes makes my eyes glaze over. Was worried Sylvie was being pushed aside but then there she was at the end with a very important role. Enjoyed the return to S1 that somehow made that season better in retrospective.
Old 11-15-2023, 09:40 PM   #247
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
I really enjoyed the Terry Gilliam-esque nature of the whole second season.

Unexpectedly sad and touching at the end, Loki ended up having the best overall character arc.... in the entire MCU?
Tony Stark, IMO. However, I think Loki's arc is equally as impressive.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2023, 12:46 AM   #248
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nebula’s arc is low key really dope.
Old 11-16-2023, 10:22 AM   #249
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

One thing that did stick with me a bit was that the entire main MCU knows nothing about what happened during this series. I could only imagine how proud Thor would be, and that Loki is twice the hero Thor is, given the weirdness of the last movie.

Only some random kangs, mobius and sylvie might wander around the main universe knowing of lokis sacrifice. Like I said, very sad.
Old 11-16-2023, 01:19 PM   #250
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
One thing that did stick with me a bit was that the entire main MCU knows nothing about what happened during this series. I could only imagine how proud Thor would be, and that Loki is twice the hero Thor is, given the weirdness of the last movie.

Only some random kangs, mobius and sylvie might wander around the main universe knowing of lokis sacrifice. Like I said, very sad.
It’s interesting as he also gets exactly what he wants which is total power. But he gains it through self sacrifice and empathy instead of vengeance and anger. Pretty cool way to round him out. I think there will be a time when the Avengers have to visit Loki Reality Spinner for some reason.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:15 AM   #251
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finished this yesterday. Immediate thought:
Quote:
Londo Mollari: Isn't it strange, G'Kar? When we first met I had no power and all the choices I could ever want. And now I have all the power I could ever want and no choices at all. No choice at all.
Anyway I don't really get why Sylvie is content with this resolution... Loki doesn't REALLY give people free will. It's the same situation as was there before, with him in place of HWR and the TVA now enforcing his tree-based vision of the multiverse instead. I guess it allows for more varied timelines maybe but that's really just a matter of degree.

Good show regardless.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 08:47 AM   #252
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Overall I liked the finale and season as a whole, but one big problem I had with it was how Earth centric everything was. We got to see Loki bounce around lots of different places in season 1, but everything in S2 was just a different time period on Earth. The TVA is responsible for all the timelines in the entire multiverse, so why is everyone in it a human? And why would a variant of an Asguardian god choose a McDonalds in Oklahoma for her "regular life" escape?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 12:06 PM   #253
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Overall I liked the finale and season as a whole, but one big problem I had with it was how Earth centric everything was. We got to see Loki bounce around lots of different places in season 1, but everything in S2 was just a different time period on Earth. The TVA is responsible for all the timelines in the entire multiverse, so why is everyone in it a human? And why would a variant of an Asguardian god choose a McDonalds in Oklahoma for her "regular life" escape?
If I had to guess, I'd say budget cuts?

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:03 PM   #254
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Sweet sweet product placement money.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2023, 02:05 PM   #255
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you suggesting Disney would sell out the integrity of their story for a couple of extra dollars from a promotional tie-in?

That's a shocking accusation. Shocking.
Old 11-17-2023, 02:14 PM   #256
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Finished this yesterday. Immediate thought:

Anyway I don't really get why Sylvie is content with this resolution... Loki doesn't REALLY give people free will. It's the same situation as was there before, with him in place of HWR and the TVA now enforcing his tree-based vision of the multiverse instead. I guess it allows for more varied timelines maybe but that's really just a matter of degree.

Good show regardless.
But he does really give them free will. The branches are all caused by choices, and now that the branches are allowed to grow, the choices people make are real and their will is free. The TVA is not "enforcing" the tree-based multiverse, they are tending the branches to ensure they are allowed to grow as opposed to pruning which restricted people to one choice.

Now we don't see how the TVA is working or what they do to cultivate timelines, but they most definitely are allowing all choices to grow and liberating people from the Sacred Timeline.

It isn't just varied timelines, it is infinite timelines. As Timely said, the loom had a scaling problem, a problem that the tree does not.
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 02:56 PM   #257
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I've had a thought about this:

You're an all-powerful being who can move at will through space and time. You're setting up a very large bureaucratic agency to maintain your power. You've got the ability to forcibly recruit literally anyone in the universe you want, and once you recruit them, you can prevent them from aging, meaning you don't have to ever worry about workplace turnover. All of that sounds great. Except one thing: you need all these beings to be able to work together. To live in a common environment. To relate to one another and feel like they're part of the same team. Most importantly, to communicate with each other.

That means the easiest thing to do is recruit all your employees from one time and place. Why 20th century earth? Fairly developed brains without yet being at the point where they're overly reliant on technology. Relatively simple material needs that match your own. Kinda average physical abilities... enough to be useful as soldiers if you need them to be, not strong enough that they're going to be some unstoppable fighting force if they want to overthrow you. So it makes sense that all variants in the TVA are humans from earth from the last half of the 20th century.

But yeah, no reason for Sylvie to end up in a MacDonalds in the midwest.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2023, 03:23 PM   #258
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by octothorp View Post
I've had a thought about this:

You're an all-powerful being who can move at will through space and time. You're setting up a very large bureaucratic agency to maintain your power. You've got the ability to forcibly recruit literally anyone in the universe you want, and once you recruit them, you can prevent them from aging, meaning you don't have to ever worry about workplace turnover. All of that sounds great. Except one thing: you need all these beings to be able to work together. To live in a common environment. To relate to one another and feel like they're part of the same team. Most importantly, to communicate with each other.

That means the easiest thing to do is recruit all your employees from one time and place. Why 20th century earth? Fairly developed brains without yet being at the point where they're overly reliant on technology. Relatively simple material needs that match your own. Kinda average physical abilities... enough to be useful as soldiers if you need them to be, not strong enough that they're going to be some unstoppable fighting force if they want to overthrow you. So it makes sense that all variants in the TVA are humans from earth from the last half of the 20th century.

But yeah, no reason for Sylvie to end up in a MacDonalds in the midwest.
Oh come on now...

We've all ended up at a McDonald's in the mid-west at some point in our lives or another.

It is inevitable.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2023, 08:42 AM   #259
Duruss
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by belsarius View Post
Now we don't see how the TVA is working or what they do to cultivate timelines, but they most definitely are allowing all choices to grow and liberating people from the Sacred Timeline.
We do get a quick look into what the TVA is doing, and they are tracking Kang variants.

Also Sylvie working at McDonald's in Oklahoma is incredibly pedestrian, which is the point. She grew up in apocalyptic timelines, always running and fighting to not die in said apocalypse or get pruned.

Last edited by Duruss; 11-18-2023 at 08:43 AM. Reason: spelling
Duruss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Duruss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-21-2023, 12:36 PM   #260
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Finished Loki season 2 this past weekend and I must say I am so glad I did. What a great ending(?) to this Loki's arc. He's my new favorite Marvel character. Sorry, Tony.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote