Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-14-2023, 11:36 AM   #1881
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Given how ITC credits work in Canada I think it would still incentivize building. When you are running the economics for sell versus rent for these condo buildings a large component of is being able to offload the GST onto the final consumer when the sale happens. On rental properties the owner of the rental apartment is the one left holding the bag as you cannot offload GST to renters as rent is GST exempt.

I agree with the above that its likely the rental property management companies take advantage of the ITC credit and pocket it. However, it does change the economics of these projects and should encourage more units to be built regardless.
Leondros is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 11:52 AM   #1882
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Maybe I'm missing something.

This incentivises building rental vs ownership properties. Don't we want more Canadians owning the property they live in?
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:03 PM   #1883
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

hmmmm

Liberals drop pledge to waive GST for new rental-housing construction

Quote:
The federal government is dropping a campaign pledge to waive the GST on the construction of new rental units, claiming research has shown there are better ways to boost the supply of affordable housing.
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle36973281/

Seems like a better idea now in a higher interest rate environment.

Last edited by Ashasx; 09-14-2023 at 12:07 PM.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:07 PM   #1884
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is that the quickest U-turn in existence? Did they not talk to anyone first?

EDIT: Oh, I C.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:08 PM   #1885
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't see how cutting the GST would increase supply or reduce demand.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:08 PM   #1886
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
hmmmm

Liberals drop pledge to waive GST for new rental-housing construction

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ticle36973281/

Seems like a better idea now in a higher interest rate environment.
Looks like they read our posts.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:09 PM   #1887
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Yeah, unless there's more to it than it sounds, the idea that this is going to result in anything but the properties still being sold for the highest the market will pay is laughable. Which just means developers get a huge increase in their margins courtesy of taxpayers.

I'm sure they've convinced themselves that that it'll incentivize a ton of construction, thus driving down market prices. But that assumes that there's a significant latent capacity in terms of labor and investment dollars for real estate, which is pretty specious IMO.
There is no practical limit to the amount of investment dollars that would flow into residential rentals if the returns were strong enough to justify that. The amount of investment funds looking for a home is always high, and if rental properties were more profitable than other investments the asset class would attract more money.

Labour is a different story, although I have to say bidding up construction wages to make it a more attractive career for people would probably be a good way to increase our ability to add supply over the long term.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:10 PM   #1888
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pseudoreality View Post
If the elimination of GST can help offset the impacts of increased interest rates/other development costs, projects that were previously put on hold may now be more lucrative and should lead to increased development.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:22 PM   #1889
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
There is no practical limit to the amount of investment dollars that would flow into residential rentals if the returns were strong enough to justify that. The amount of investment funds looking for a home is always high, and if rental properties were more profitable than other investments the asset class would attract more money.

Labour is a different story, although I have to say bidding up construction wages to make it a more attractive career for people would probably be a good way to increase our ability to add supply over the long term.
Bidding up construction wages increases construction costs, which reduces profit, in turn causing less investment dollars flowing into residential rentals.

What we really need is thousands and thousands of workers getting paid pennies with no rights. Then you'd see costs lowered, supply increased and the overall availability and affordability of rental units at more acceptable levels.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:31 PM   #1890
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Maybe I'm missing something.

This incentivises building rental vs ownership properties. Don't we want more Canadians owning the property they live in?
Supply is supply, there is a rental affordability crisis as well. More people able to rent for cheap takes pressure off of prices for people buying. Its all the same good - roof on head. Its just how you decide to finance it - lease or buy.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:33 PM   #1891
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Because 5% off your bottom-line drastically impacts the profitability of projects. Similar to how financing costs from 2% to 6% have stifled projects, a 5% swing to the positive offsets your increased financing costs.
Old 09-14-2023, 12:58 PM   #1892
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
If the elimination of GST can help offset the impacts of increased interest rates/other development costs, projects that were previously put on hold may now be more lucrative and should lead to increased development.
Is that happening? There is already a huge demand, I don't see how making things slightly cheaper for the developer really changes anything.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 01:02 PM   #1893
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is that happening? There is already a huge demand, I don't see how making things slightly cheaper for the developer really changes anything.
I don't work in the industry but I can't imagine they operate on huge margins to begin with. I could see GST being the difference for some projects.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:21 PM   #1894
Leondros
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I don't work in the industry but I can't imagine they operate on huge margins to begin with. I could see GST being the difference for some projects.
I consulted for a shop here in town that did multi-family projects working on their financial modeling and can tell you even 1 - 2% was material for some of the hurdle rates on projects.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Leondros For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 01:56 PM   #1895
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Bidding up construction wages increases construction costs, which reduces profit, in turn causing less investment dollars flowing into residential rentals.

What we really need is thousands and thousands of workers getting paid pennies with no rights. Then you'd see costs lowered, supply increased and the overall availability and affordability of rental units at more acceptable levels.
Money is fungible. If you spend less of it on GST you can spend more on construction labour and come out the same.
Old 09-14-2023, 02:08 PM   #1896
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

So there's a bunch of builders sitting on the sidelines right now because there isn't enough profit to be made building housing, but this 5% will convince them to get out of bed and go to work? Funny, I didn't see it that way myself.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 02:15 PM   #1897
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leondros View Post
Supply is supply, there is a rental affordability crisis as well. More people able to rent for cheap takes pressure off of prices for people buying. Its all the same good - roof on head. Its just how you decide to finance it - lease or buy.
This presumes that the tax break will open up more builds and there are a bunch of builds not getting done due to cost issues. In reality, we may be at the limit of builds the current zoning/permitting will support and this might just divert builds away from ownership to rental, thus creating more renters.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 02:19 PM   #1898
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
This presumes that the tax break will open up more builds and there are a bunch of builds not getting done due to cost issues. In reality, we may be at the limit of builds the current zoning/permitting will support and this might just divert builds away from ownership to rental, thus creating more renters.
This should be fixable. Upzone, add greenfield land, and streamline/add resources to the permitting process.

There are a bunch of reasons why we have a housing shortage, and if people decide they can't be fixed then they won't be.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bizaro86 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2023, 03:49 PM   #1899
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Focusing on rental units is also probably more effective at driving down costs, as rent prices are far more correlated with unit supply/demand and local economic conditions than selling prices are. Speculation, interest rates, ease of getting credit, etc. can drive house prices well beyond what the fundamentals support, whereas that's not normally the case with rent.

For instance, the biggest housing building boom in Canadian history was in the 1970s, where they added 35% to the housing stock in a decade where the population only increased by 14%. One would assume that that would have meant that buying a house became much more affordable because so much supply was entering the market relative to the population growth, but the opposite happened; it actually precipitated two housing bubbles in a decade. So creating a ton of new supply for sale is no real guarantee of lowering (or even moderating the pace of increase of) prices.

And it's not like the material supply/demand conditions have changed all that much compared to eras where house prices were lower. Over the last 20 years, the increase in housing stock has exceeded population growth, even after accounting for declining household sizes. And because of that, rent costs in general really only increased by a bit more than inflation, whereas purchase costs have gone up dramatically.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 04:00 PM   #1900
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Focusing on rental units is also probably more effective at driving down costs, as rent prices are far more correlated with unit supply/demand and local economic conditions than selling prices are.
Rents are probably more important anyway.

Owning a home has become important financially because housing keeps going up, but it is not in any way a human need. And it isn't obvious housing as an asset class will outperform forever - much of the gains have been multiple expansion which inevitably ends.

But shelter (especially in Canada!) absolutely is. The alternatives for people who can't afford rent ranges from couchsurfing to homelessness.