Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: When will the ring road be completed?
1-3 years 8 3.85%
4-7 years 91 43.75%
7-10 years 65 31.25%
10-20 years 20 9.62%
Never 24 11.54%
Voters: 208. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2023, 01:27 PM   #4801
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Curious about the source of these rumours... Anything credible, or is it just people that drive by commenting "sure looks ready to open"? (I'm one of them... WTF are they waiting for )
They've got the traffic lights up and working on the old banff coach road overpass as if that section were open now. I dont see why they would do that unless they were very close to opening it up. Annoying to have to stop for nothing there right now.
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yellefan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2023, 01:56 PM   #4802
Treycal
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I’d be happy if they just fully opened the interchange at the TCH and along #1 this year. Just getting rid of that construction zone would be nice.
I scratch my head every day trying to figure out why the road from SB Stoney to EB 16th Ave is reduced to one lane. Some weeks it's the right lane, other weeks it's the left lane, but always one lane closed with zero work being done on either closed lane. Then once you get close to the WinSport/Bowfort exit suddenly every lane is open.
Treycal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Treycal For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2023, 07:15 PM   #4803
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

The city is very much against any partial opening of the west ring road, TCH to Bow Trail specifically. I'd be very surprised if that were to happen.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-07-2023, 08:21 PM   #4804
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The city is very much against any partial opening of the west ring road, TCH to Bow Trail specifically. I'd be very surprised if that were to happen.
Do you know why? As someone who would use that specific segment regularly and likely never go past there I'd be pretty happy with that...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2023, 08:27 PM   #4805
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Do you know why? As someone who would use that specific segment regularly and likely never go past there I'd be pretty happy with that...
Likely because they didn't get to do traffic modelling of that scenario and don't want to be unprepared for whatever anomalous flows it creates on Bow Trail. Would traffic benefit overall from it, probably... but it's kinda what happens when it's a provincial project dumping traffic onto a city road.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:25 AM   #4806
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Likely because they didn't get to do traffic modelling of that scenario and don't want to be unprepared for whatever anomalous flows it creates on Bow Trail. Would traffic benefit overall from it, probably... but it's kinda what happens when it's a provincial project dumping traffic onto a city road.
As someone who drives through the Bow & 85 intersection daily, I would think having 100% of the ring road traffic dumping onto Bow Trail would quickly overwhelm the intersection. You can see a glimmer of that now whenever a construction vehicle or pedestrian causes the eastbound light to be activated at rush hour (it is otherwise set up as a 3 way intersection currently.)

Speaking of traffic modelling, I am curious what sort of traffic modelling they did for a full buildout of the new West Springs area structure plan. It seems like 85th Street is often already nearing capacity at rush hour, and they've barely started on densifying the area.

And then there's this commercial and multi-res development planned RIGHT at the intersection of Bow & 85. https://wscr.ca/development-2/brawn-lands-development/ I guess the silver lining is that it will function as an extra on-ramp to WB Bow from SB 85.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2023, 12:56 PM   #4807
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'd imagine the contractor would prefer to do things like line painting, barrier installation, or seeding the medians in one go next summer?

Also, are they done using the pit to NW of Stoney/OBCR? Kinda cool that there is an updated streetview from Aug 2023...it actually looks like those road connections are gone.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 09:42 AM   #4808
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Why? They opened the SW from Glenmore to Anderson prior to completing the rest to 22X
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2023, 09:48 AM   #4809
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
I live in Elbow Valley and the opening of the final stage of the ring road will be a game change. My kids go to Springbank for school and they have been bussed West on highway 8 onto highway 22, which is also under construction for the dam work. They just recently closed down access to Springbank road so the bus has to go onto Highway 1. Anyway, the point of this rant is to say, it sure would be nice if they were ahead of schedule. I drive past the intersection every day and it seems like they are making great progress lately but there is still probably way more to do that I am not considering. Obviously the twinning of Highway 8 still remains but it would be good to see some progress on that. Anyway, wishful thinking but not sure why they will need a full year. Fingers crossed.
I live just a little farther west (south side of the highway past RR 34). We always kind of hoped there would be a little bridge at, say, Range Road 33 which would go straight to the school.

Twinning of highway 8 is decades away, and may never happen if the Ring Road changes the truck flow enough. I made a deal with the province years ago for the front of my property as a set aside for twinning, and it’s been crickets ever since. It’s not in their projected expenditures at all.
Old 09-09-2023, 09:54 AM   #4810
RedIcipher
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Why? They opened the SW from Glenmore to Anderson prior to completing the rest to 22X

That was because they were on a deadline to have it open on the land they acquired from the reserve, otherwise it would revert back to Tsuut’ina. Very different circumstances since there is no incentive to open the West leg early.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RedIcipher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RedIcipher For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2023, 11:04 AM   #4811
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, the SW project was split from day 1 and that was always the plan by Alberta Transportation so the city was fully prepared. The section through the reserve was dubbed the "Priority New Infrastructure" and had to be opened on time or the whole deal with Tsuut'ina was null and void.

This west leg, like every other ring road leg, has no real incentive to open early.
Old 09-09-2023, 11:21 AM   #4812
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, the SW project was split from day 1 and that was always the plan by Alberta Transportation so the city was fully prepared. The section through the reserve was dubbed the "Priority New Infrastructure" and had to be opened on time or the whole deal with Tsuut'ina was null and void.

This west leg, like every other ring road leg, has no real incentive to open early.
Making me happy is an incentive. It should be anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 09-10-2023, 12:05 PM   #4813
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll chime in that I'm looking out at it and have for the last month or two...Its all lit up, lines are all painted, signs are lit up, and even the clearance signs are lit up underneath the overpass, the connectors are complete from stoney and 16th as well......I'm another one in the what are they waiting for camp?
Old 09-10-2023, 12:21 PM   #4814
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

When is the 22X bridge gone be done?
My god this delay is comical, and I only visit Calgary every couple weeks or so.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 12:37 PM   #4815
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
When is the 22X bridge gone be done?
My god this delay is comical, and I only visit Calgary every couple weeks or so.
Is it delayed? Despite the steel shortage they had, last I heard they're still on track for the fall 2023 date they always had
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 03:22 PM   #4816
BlackArcher101
Such a pretty girl!

Exp:

Feels like there must be a shortage on line paint, no idea why they haven't shifted traffic over yet. I remember a social media post over a month ago saying that weekend it was going to be switched. Seems they are taking a break.
Old 09-10-2023, 03:59 PM   #4817
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

There has been a roadmarking paint shortage for almost 2 years now, but I doubt that's what their holdup is
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2023, 08:54 PM   #4818
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIcipher View Post
That was because they were on a deadline to have it open on the land they acquired from the reserve, otherwise it would revert back mean additional money to the Tsuut’ina. Very different circumstances since there is no incentive to open the West leg early.

Fyp
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2023, 10:26 PM   #4819
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
I'm another one in the what are they waiting for camp?
It's not even close to being done at the south end down by Glenmore. The road doesn't exist yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 09-12-2023, 08:17 AM   #4820
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think he was referring to partial opening up to the Bow trail interchange.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote