Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2023, 10:06 PM   #41
Knut

Exp:

Our community does not have Telus PureFibre yet. So we do not have that option with Telus.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2023, 01:32 AM   #42
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Our community does not have Telus PureFibre yet. So we do not have that option with Telus.
Then why did you say this?

"The Fiber optic Internet service from Telus is slower than the basic Shaw service in our Neighbourhood"
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2023, 10:46 AM   #43
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Telus is stuck a few decades back in my neighborhood

Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 11:41 AM   #44
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kermitology View Post
I’ve had Telus fibre in two locations, one in Calgary, and one in Saanich (still waiting for it to come to me in Esquimalt).

It’s by far the most reliable internet I’ve ever had, as long as I don’t use their default router. It would have issues with IPv6 addresses.

Since switching to using my own mesh router, it was so much better. Constant gigabit speed. Both up and down.
I just renewed with Telus Internet, and upgraded to their 3gbps plan for only $20 more. (doing this b/c have 4 adults, 2 kids in the home 90% of the time, including 2 who WFH each day).

I don't think I can ever go back to Shaw/Rogers. This service is so much faster and wayyyyyy more reliable. I also use my own router too.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 11:51 AM   #45
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Telus doesn't have the service in my area I get the 25mbps.

So Rogers together with Shaw owns me
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:10 PM   #46
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

"The Fiber optic Internet service from Telus is slower than the basic Shaw service in our Neighbourhood"
I was in Garrison Green before I escaped, the answer is the community does have Telus PureFibre.

If you sign up with Telus then they'll plumb the fibre to your home from the box. They did a ton of work over the last year to prepare Garrison Green for exactly that. If you don't sign up with them, then they won't run it to your house (well not yet anyway, they likely want to save capacity for people actually paying for their service).

So it is entirely possible to be able to get fibre in that neighbourhood but not have it yet. You just have to commit to them first.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 12:24 PM   #47
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you can request them to dig it up and run fibre to your home?
Old 08-07-2023, 12:30 PM   #48
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
So you can request them to dig it up and run fibre to your home?
They will run and trench it for you, yeah.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 12:31 PM   #49
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
They will run and trench it for you, yeah.
Calling them now
Old 08-07-2023, 12:41 PM   #50
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

They can't do it they said.
Old 08-07-2023, 12:56 PM   #51
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Based on your time stamps are you suggesting that you got through to customer service and had somebody competent enough to speak to this in 10 mins?

Something stinks here

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 01:02 PM   #52
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post
Based on your time stamps are you suggesting that you got through to customer service and had somebody competent enough to speak to this in 10 mins?

Something stinks here
I called the sales # and got through said I was interested in the fibre internet but tje website said it's not available. He checked the address and said it's not available I said can they run it to my house and he said to look out for for Telus working in the neighbourhood as a sign it's coming said his system showed no eta.

Not sure what I have to gain by making something like that up lol. I want the service.
Old 08-07-2023, 01:05 PM   #53
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They can't do it they said.
Of course not, they just fired everybody!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 01:42 PM   #54
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya, calling sales is the easiest way to get someone quickly. They may not be helpful, but it will be quicker than support.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 01:48 PM   #55
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, calling sales is the easiest way to get someone quickly. They may not be helpful, but it will be quicker than support.
If I call support they will just send me to sales.

If Mr. TorqueDog works for Telus or knows anyone who can dig the line for me I will come.

I would love to leave Rogers together with Shaw.
Old 08-07-2023, 02:22 PM   #56
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by surferguy View Post

Something stinks here
I don't know if it is the time of day I call, if it is an off day for them, or what, but I have always received stellar service from Telus...and can't remember when I have had to wait over 10 minutes.

They usually give you an estimated time, but if you don't want to wait, they will give you a call back. I have never waited more than 10 minutes for a call back.

And I usually get pretty well what I want. I ask to be transferred to the customer loyalty department and go from there. I have pretty well everything bundled with Telus, both in Killarney, as well as out at Priddis, and I have found they treat long time customers very well. I rarely have any technical issue...can't remember the last time I have had to call Telus for that.
redforever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2023, 02:29 PM   #57
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I called the sales # and got through said I was interested in the fibre internet but tje website said it's not available. He checked the address and said it's not available I said can they run it to my house and he said to look out for for Telus working in the neighbourhood as a sign it's coming said his system showed no eta.

Not sure what I have to gain by making something like that up lol. I want the service.
Well, what I said was specific to my (old) neighbourhood and any neighbourhood that has been retrofitted with the infrastructure, I don’t know what neighbourhood you’re in. But I know where Garrison Green is concerned, it was fibre-ready after all the work they did, my old neighbours got it and Telus tried to sell it to me too. GG was developed between 2006 and 2008, so it was old enough that FttH wasn’t done during development, but it can be run now.
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2023, 04:34 PM   #58
surferguy
Monster Storm

Exp:

Quote:

Haha this was just a cheap joke at expense of Telus. It was low hanging fruit. Had to be taken.

surferguy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to surferguy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2023, 03:15 PM   #59
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post

Yeah.... looks like a misspoke. Sorry. The internet is slower from Telus than the Basic Shaw Service.

This was true where i used to live (Garrison Green ... although now it sounds like you can get it) and Lake Bonavista. I believe parts of Lake Bonavista are now getting Telus Fibre as an option. It is not an option at my address at this time.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2023, 04:16 PM   #60
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Well, what I said was specific to my (old) neighbourhood and any neighbourhood that has been retrofitted with the infrastructure, I don’t know what neighbourhood you’re in. But I know where Garrison Green is concerned, it was fibre-ready after all the work they did, my old neighbours got it and Telus tried to sell it to me too. GG was developed between 2006 and 2008, so it was old enough that FttH wasn’t done during development, but it can be run now.
I got one of those "Hey we're doing stuff in your area" cards relating to fibre last summer literally only a few weeks after I extended with Shaw. But even as of today, when I put in my address for Telus Fibre availability in my community, the website says "it's not available in my area".

I'm hoping to get away from Robbers next summer, but weird that it's still displaying as "not available" I wonder if this is similar to Paulie Walnut's situation.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote