Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #4541
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Nah man I’m the 2x school of thought for road and gravel. Love my 52/36 and 11-28. When I had a 50t x 11 there were times on the past I got dropped on fast long downhills where 120rpm wasn’t enough.

I see what you’re saying about a 48 and perhaps for my friend it’ll work. He’s neither fast enough nor hardcore enough to get to the limits often.

As for mtb I only made the jump from 3x9 to 1x last year. So far I’m very impressed and don’t miss it at all. Except those flat/false flat downhill tailwind sections won’t be as fast as with my 44x11.
Maybe just different kinds of terrain then. I don’t remember feeling like I need to keep pedalling when I’ve been doing 70km/h. I’m just tucked up as aero as I can get at that point.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:29 PM   #4542
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames0910 View Post
Road seemed about the same as last year (which ya, not great but definitely not getting better either) but the snacks definitely took a nosedive with TransRockies taking over IMO -- last year had Skratch, Honey Stingers, Coke, Dinosours, trail mix, and even Crave Cupcakes. Also the bacon station needed more real food alternatives (I had my hopes up for a banana but they only had those awful Xact fruit bars).

Don't get me wrong, still a great event, cyclists just have to have something to complain about.
I missed those cookies from last year. 😆
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 03:33 PM   #4543
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Any mtn bikers here happen to own a Ibis Ripmo AF?

Just looking at new bike options, probably won't purchase til next yr.
Way back I ran into a guy on the trail and he told me about how he broke the frame on his Mojo, and Ibis was an utter nightmare to deal with and wouldn't stand behind their frame (at the time, that was on my bike wish list).

Since then, I've been irrationally scared off of Ibis without any further research. Was his case a one-off, and/or have they improved?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 03:35 PM   #4544
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Way back I ran into a guy on the trail and he told me about how he broke the frame on his Mojo, and Ibis was an utter nightmare to deal with and wouldn't stand behind their frame (at the time, that was on my bike wish list).

Since then, I've been irrationally scared off of Ibis without any further research. Was his case a one-off, and/or have they improved?
Huh, my friend had the same thing happen. Broken Mojo, crap support.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 03:48 PM   #4545
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Huh, my friend had the same thing happen. Broken Mojo, crap support.
Either those are not very great bikes (there was never that many around) or I ran into your friend on Sugar Mamma/Snagmore about 8 years ago
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 04:18 PM   #4546
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Did an extended test ride on an e-cargo bike this weekend (Surly Skid Loader) and loved it. Put in an order for one, should have it in October.

I'm a big dude but I used to ride a lot when I was in better shape, and I'm hoping this will get me out of the car for any short trips as well as commuting to work. It can carry 100 lbs on the back rack making it all good for general grocery getting. It's a class 1 ebike, so no throttle making it a bit of a workout. You only get assist if you are pedaling. My hope is that making it part of my daily running around will help make riding a habit again and get some miles in my legs.

Being able to just ride straight up 20th St SW (between 33rd and 26th) for example, putting in some effort but not killing myself really opens things up to go pretty much anywhere. I'd end up pushing my city bike up a hill like that at my current fitness level.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2023, 04:56 PM   #4547
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Highly recommend bike shorts from Bn3th

https://www.bn3th.ca/collections/nor...liner-bibshort

I've only got a couple pairs of the shorts so far, but just ordered another and a bibs. I'm not sure the chamois is quite as good as some of my other bibs (but it's certainly not bad), but the frank and beans are 100x more comfortable, which is a fair tradeoff for at least 90% as good chamois comfort.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 06:15 PM   #4548
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

... and now for something completely different...
2023 French Megavalanche from the person that placed 3rd this past weekend.
Gotta make it full screen and volume up and sit up close to get the "Imax" experience. Incredible how they navigate that deep snow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0I5...livierBruwiere
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RichieRich For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 09:43 AM   #4549
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Never thought I’d say this but that time difference at the TdF time trial today I’m sure will go down as a fantastic display. Perhaps a little too fantastic. Hope I’m wrong.
Old 07-18-2023, 10:16 AM   #4550
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

It was insane. Can't say I'm too happy about it though as I was hoping things would be as close as they have been going into the last few days.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:18 AM   #4551
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

When was the last time we saw time gaps that big - not just on the stage, but between 1st and 10th on the GC?
Old 07-18-2023, 10:39 AM   #4552
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Ibis ripmo is the best bang for your buck out there. For $4kish you can’t beat what you get.

It’s the bike I recommend to weekend warriors or people looking to level up from an older geometry bike up to an efficient pedaler. It’s a great bike and I haven’t heard anything bad about frame quality or warranty issues from the techs at the LBS.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:41 AM   #4553
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichieRich View Post
Agreed on the gravel/road crossover with one caveat... pay attention to the crankset. A friend recently bought a decent "road bike" and it seems to be very nicely kitted out... but he didn't pay attention or notice that the largest chainring is a 48t. He basically thought he had a roadbike but it has gravel/cyclocross gearing. This is fine if your smallest cassette ring is a 9 or 10t, but that's unusual as the standard is an 11 or 12. For the average road rider a 48t will be too small, shoot for a 50/34 or 52/36 with a wider 11-28 or 11-30 cassette.
I don't think I've been in my fastest gear, 50 x 11t since they closed memorial to bikes. I would think 48 x 11t is good enough for casual riders around town and keeps you to a safe speed unless you are actually racing. Am I just slow? (answer is yes since I was run over a car while cycling last year but that recovery is still in progress)
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 10:44 AM   #4554
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
What are you cyclists thoughts on quick rides on a road bike without padded shorts once in awhile? I am not a hard core rider or anything on a Specialized Allez, I have a 2 jerseys and padded shorts that I try to keep up with washing.

If I want to do a few Zwift rides or a quick 45 minute ride on the pathway in regular athletic shorts once in a while, is that ok and safe for saddle sores?

A few friends who ride A LOT and are what I consider top cyclists say absolutely not and others say don't worry so much.

Appreciate your thoughts
I rode the whole summer of covid without padded shorts when I couldn't find a decent one during supply chain issues. It hurts a little more at the start but then you just get used to it after a few weeks. Just wore regular gym shorts or jogging pants.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:04 AM   #4555
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some pretty surprising results from todays time trial, for those that follow the tour de france. Vingegaard finished 98 seconds ahead of Pogacar, who himself was 73 seconds ahead of third place. They are both just in a league of their own. Vingegaard is gonna be tough to beat now in the GC with a 2 minute lead- short of a crash anyway.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2023, 11:58 AM   #4556
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
What are you cyclists thoughts on quick rides on a road bike without padded shorts once in awhile? I am not a hard core rider or anything on a Specialized Allez, I have a 2 jerseys and padded shorts that I try to keep up with washing.

If I want to do a few Zwift rides or a quick 45 minute ride on the pathway in regular athletic shorts once in a while, is that ok and safe for saddle sores?

A few friends who ride A LOT and are what I consider top cyclists say absolutely not and others say don't worry so much.

Appreciate your thoughts
for 45 mins you'll be fine, it's not like you go from everything is fine to a saddle sore in a flash, you'll know if it's fine or not long before a saddle sore shows up.
You're over thinking it, just avoid shorts with a huge seam in them
Old 07-18-2023, 12:47 PM   #4557
Icantwhisper
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I don't think I've been in my fastest gear, 50 x 11t since they closed memorial to bikes. I would think 48 x 11t is good enough for casual riders around town and keeps you to a safe speed unless you are actually racing. Am I just slow? (answer is yes since I was run over a car while cycling last year but that recovery is still in progress)
I don't know, I rode my cross bike yesterday with a 46 x 11 and ran out of gears with a 20km/h tailwind.
Yes I could have pedaled at 120 rpm but I'm a grinder and after 100rpm I'm out of gears for sustained efforts
Old 07-18-2023, 07:19 PM   #4558
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn’t think Vingegaard had that type of time trial in him, that was immense! To beat Pog by that much, just wow
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2023, 08:10 PM   #4559
RichieRich
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by M*A*S*H 4077 View Post
I didn’t think Vingegaard had that type of time trial in him, that was immense! To beat Pog by that much, just wow
Yah it was a ROYAL spanking for sure. And that’s between Pog and 3rd place, then an even gap between 1st and 2nd after what was a stalemate week. Honestly what else has V done the last few years (except the last 2 x TdF). Pog has been present and riding hard all season and doing well.
Old 07-19-2023, 09:37 AM   #4560
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

The crowds are an absolute joke on stage 17.

Spoiler!
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flabbibulin For This Useful Post: