Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2023, 07:33 AM   #2081
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mason Mount then. Not a huge fan of him, but ten Hag badly wanted him and I do think he'll do well between Casemiro and Fernandes. Still pissed about the negotiations and the fee though, Chelsea had zero leverage and United still ended up overpaying as usual.

seems like Onana is next on the list ... first bid was £34m plus £5m in add-ons, Inter will want a bit more than that. Think it'll get done for £40-45m plus add-ons ... again, pretty crazy when you think about the fact that Inter signed him on a free a year ago, but it is what it is. Glad when the goalkeeper theatre is over, I'm extremely disappointed how the club have handled the De Gea situation. It's time to move on from him, but they have handled this with zero class and I think a player who's served this club well for more than a decade deserved a lot more than that.

Finally, the striker question ... I do expect they'll end up with Rasmus Hojlund when all is said and done. Very skeptical to pay a lot of money (Atalanta want €60-70m) for such a raw striker, but the market is simply brutal. Stupid Levy.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2023, 10:45 AM   #2082
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Mason Mount then. Not a huge fan of him, but ten Hag badly wanted him and I do think he'll do well between Casemiro and Fernandes. Still pissed about the negotiations and the fee though, Chelsea had zero leverage and United still ended up overpaying as usual.

seems like Onana is next on the list ... first bid was £34m plus £5m in add-ons, Inter will want a bit more than that. Think it'll get done for £40-45m plus add-ons ... again, pretty crazy when you think about the fact that Inter signed him on a free a year ago, but it is what it is. Glad when the goalkeeper theatre is over, I'm extremely disappointed how the club have handled the De Gea situation. It's time to move on from him, but they have handled this with zero class and I think a player who's served this club well for more than a decade deserved a lot more than that.

Finally, the striker question ... I do expect they'll end up with Rasmus Hojlund when all is said and done. Very skeptical to pay a lot of money (Atalanta want €60-70m) for such a raw striker, but the market is simply brutal. Stupid Levy.
Apparently the Saudis are sticking their heads in on Onana.
Agreed on the respect towards de Gea, and finally Mount will be wearing 7? sh*t.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 12:00 PM   #2083
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Tottenham offer Harry Kane huge new contract but striker in no rush to sign. Levy adamant Kane not for sale and believes he will extend stay, Player keeping options open with one season left on his deal.

Tottenham have made a massive new contract offer to Harry Kane that would significantly improve his £200,000-a-week terms. But the club’s talisman has no immediate intention to sign it and will certainly not do so while the transfer window remains open.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...h-to-sign-levy

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 12:17 PM   #2084
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Doesnt seem like he was bad, just kinda of stagnated
That's the bit I'd be worried about most.

You see it frequently with players with high expectations based on high early career performances that continue to command high fees based on their performances more than one season back. Eg Dele Alli (extreme decline), Cleverley, Maguire.

There's an element of risk in that you're hoping they can recoup their previous form. Either going to get a player or a lemon.

Not talked about enough but there's a lot of players out there that have a peak of being able to play at the highest level for only a few seasons. Yet managers stick with them hoping to return them to their peak days which have clearly passed (Martial, not that he ever had a decent peak).

That's why the top players are the top players. They can sustain it. Eg comparing Vidic to vvd is laughable. Sure, compare their best seasons but overall, longevity? Not even a conversation.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 12:29 PM   #2085
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Glad when the goalkeeper theatre is over, I'm extremely disappointed how the club have handled the De Gea situation. It's time to move on from him, but they have handled this with zero class and I think a player who's served this club well for more than a decade deserved a lot more than that.
I'm not that bothered. He's been more than well (over imo) paid for his time here. But, yeah, should never have offered him anything when it's clear they have to move on from him. He'll do ok as a free agent.

Bigger theatre that I want the curtain to go down on is the Greenwood one. Sooner he's shipped out the better. Be it on loan, whatever. For whatever price.

Bagor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 09:26 AM   #2086
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1677671990910484480

that's that then. Like I said, very sad as a fan it had to end like this. Fantastic player in his prime, 7th all-time in term of appearances for United ... he did very well for the most part. It was time to move on, but it couldn't have been handled any worse.

Guess the Onana deal will be close then.
Old 07-08-2023, 12:25 PM   #2087
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

^
Good odds IMO that he's gotten some phone calls from the Middle East during this recent contract row with United. Scooping up players anywhere near their prime, from top clubs, is a prime bragging opportunity for the sheikhs.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 01:45 PM   #2088
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1677671990910484480

that's that then. Like I said, very sad as a fan it had to end like this. Fantastic player in his prime, 7th all-time in term of appearances for United ... he did very well for the most part. It was time to move on, but it couldn't have been handled any worse.

Guess the Onana deal will be close then.
Yeah, it didnt have to end ugly. He's had some downs but there have also been seasons when he'd saved their ass more than they deserved.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-09-2023, 09:01 AM   #2089
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mbappe to Arsenal, E7 rumor.

https://www.skysports.com/football/l...#liveblog-body
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 02:47 PM   #2090
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winsor_Pilates View Post
Do it! Just completely shatter your entire wage structure and the plans that Arteta has put together that got your team to where they were.

Just drop a bomb on all of it.

Just like when Ronaldo went back to United and it screwed up the entire plan.

Old 07-09-2023, 04:53 PM   #2091
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bayern make another offer for kane, 80m plus add ons

If they really want him the number starts at 100m imo
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 09:55 AM   #2092
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
Bayern make another offer for kane, 80m plus add ons

If they really want him the number starts at 100m imo
Or Bayern just wait 6 months and sign him to pre contract for the following season for free.

Unless Kane commits to a new contract at Spurs, they really should sell him now.

But I hate Spurs so hopefully they Spur it up and Kane leaves for nothing next year.
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 11:18 AM   #2093
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
Or Bayern just wait 6 months and sign him to pre contract for the following season for free.

Unless Kane commits to a new contract at Spurs, they really should sell him now.

But I hate Spurs so hopefully they Spur it up and Kane leaves for nothing next year.
I don't think that they're that daft though. I think that if Bayern puts up enough cash it works out for everyone. Kane leaves the PL, which is tolerable for Spurs fans. Kane plays in a less physical league, probably scores in boatloads and wins a trophy or two. Daniel Levy has some cash to spend on 2-3 players that hopefully keep us competitive.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2023, 03:13 PM   #2094
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't think that they're that daft though. I think that if Bayern puts up enough cash it works out for everyone. Kane leaves the PL, which is tolerable for Spurs fans. Kane plays in a less physical league, probably scores in boatloads and wins a trophy or two. Daniel Levy has some cash to spend on 2-3 players that hopefully keep us competitive.
Yeah, I think it'd be hard for Spurs to get £100M for a 29 year-old with 1 year on his contract at this juncture especially if the squad is looking like its competing for nothing next season.

Old 07-10-2023, 03:28 PM   #2095
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
I'm pretty sure it's now or never for Bayern. Because Levy is an insufferable blowhard won't sell to another PL club and because neither Real nor PSG seem like realistic options right now, they pretty much have a clear run at Kane. Sure, it's still going to be a pain in the ass and take until the end of the window because Levy is an insufferable blowhard is a tough negotiator, but it's by far their best chance to sign Kane.

Next summer? He'll be able to pick his destination, which means all the PL teams that are not an option this summer will be available to him. Plus Real and/or PSG, depending on what happens with Mbappe. Sure, Kane and his brother previously signed a 6 year deal at Spurs without any clause in there, so they probably aren't the smartest tools in the shed - but signing any sort of pre contract would be dumb.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:13 AM   #2096
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ya its Bayern that need to move now, because if he runs down his contract hes not picking Bayern.

Spurs you can make the case to keep him, champions league is 5 spots for england after this season, so top 5 of this next season. The money gained from that is a lot more likely if Kane stays the season.
Old 07-11-2023, 12:17 AM   #2097
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

The spot isnt guaranteed to Englans, but it has 4 of the past 5 years

Its 2 spots total based on how the nation performed in Europe the previous season, which England should continue to win with the new petro state club joining the other big 6 as richer than almost any other club they play
Old 07-11-2023, 12:19 AM   #2098
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd personally sell him if they got to 80 million £

But I can see Levy waiting them out
Old 07-13-2023, 04:19 AM   #2099
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

remarkable interview by Dele Alli.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/66187943
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2023, 04:07 PM   #2100
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

So looks like Henderson's joining Gerrard in Saudi Arabia.