Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-2023, 05:43 PM   #1801
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I have to assume you have access to the internet.
They mailed their post in.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 05:48 PM   #1802
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully they have a shhitter guy like Vegas. Those cans are spick and span.
Old 05-31-2023, 08:34 PM   #1803
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
The sound at the dome is absolutely terrible for bands that play real shows with real instruments. For years I thought my favorite bands sucked live until I started having to go to Edmonton for shows.

Also, the dome won't just last forever...pay for some now or all later. We are saving money.
I don’t think it makes much of a difference when it comes to arena and stadium shows, to be honest. But maybe I don’t go see real shows with real instruments, IDK.

That’s an at least somewhat understandable reason to want something better, though. I just don’t understand why people care about the periphery stuff. I’m not there for “the whole experience,” I’m there for whatever my ticket says. I don’t care about high quality individual bathrooms and gourmet food options. I also think older/run down stadiums have a better energy to them. People aren’t there are go to the bathroom, they’re there for the show.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 08:57 PM   #1804
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Review of Saddledome's roof reveals concerns, mysteries
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...city-1.6406164

Quote:
Entuitive noted that:

"...there is no information available regarding the condition of the cable system (cable net and anchorages) which, over a period of years, is likely to have deteriorated but the extent of which is unknown. It is critical that a testing agency be commissioned to establish a level of confidence regarding the current condition of the structure."
"...a review of the condition of the bonded cable system must be undertaken and an ongoing deterioration mitigation plan must be followed per our recommendations. It is also critical that loading applied to the roof system remain within the allowances noted in this report."
"Given the history of the roof membrane discontinuities and probability of moisture contact within the unbonded strands, corrosion of the strands is occurring. There is also the potential of corrosion of the cables."
"Unfortunately, conditions of the cable anchors are concealed at this time. Further investigation is required."
Entuitive found roof cables that were exposed and showed signs of rust. It said it's possible that four cables have experienced breaks over an 18 year period.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 09:07 PM   #1805
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who cares about the roof falling on your head...you aren't there for a safe roof you are there for the show/game
Old 05-31-2023, 09:29 PM   #1806
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who cares about the roof falling on your head...you aren't there for a safe roof you are there for the show/game
Didn't the Jumbotron once fall onto the ice at HSBC arena in Buffalo?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 10:48 PM   #1807
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Yup, in the off season. Empty stadium.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:01 PM   #1808
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
I pray for this to happen during the anthems of every Oilers vs. Canucks game.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:06 PM   #1809
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I swear it was on the back cover on an NHL videogame too
Old 05-31-2023, 11:53 PM   #1810
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Yup, in the off season. Empty stadium.
Why would they have ice, nets and advertising on the boards in the off season?
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-31-2023, 11:55 PM   #1811
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

It was November, 17, 1996 after a practice.

Quote:
Fortunately, there were no injuries. The incident occurred roughly 90 minutes after Boston Bruins players and coaches had finished up a morning practice.
https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-sky-still-falling/
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 12:00 AM   #1812
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The roof adds to the intrigue
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:39 AM   #1813
Bandwagon Surfer
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
The sound at the dome is absolutely terrible for bands that play real shows with real instruments. For years I thought my favorite bands sucked live until I started having to go to Edmonton for shows.

Also, the dome won't just last forever...pay for some now or all later. We are saving money.

Stadiums are all terrible for concerts. Actual concert halls and amphitheatres are so much better because they are actually built for the purpose of a concerts. Stadiums at best are a kludge for places that lack actual concert infrastructure.

If you really like a band, it is worth travelling to someplace with real concert infrastructure. It is a day and night difference how much better it is.
Bandwagon Surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bandwagon Surfer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 07:40 AM   #1814
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
I think most people would care about the roof falling on their head.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 07:46 AM   #1815
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think most people would care about the roof falling on their head.
Snowflakes.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:13 AM   #1816
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandwagon Surfer View Post
Stadiums are all terrible for concerts. Actual concert halls and amphitheatres are so much better because they are actually built for the purpose of a concerts. Stadiums at best are a kludge for places that lack actual concert infrastructure.

If you really like a band, it is worth travelling to someplace with real concert infrastructure. It is a day and night difference how much better it is.
Still I have found other stadiums far better than the dome, even old ones like Rexall

It's not always an option
Old 06-01-2023, 08:46 AM   #1817
JBR
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Thanks Obama.
JBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 08:59 AM   #1818
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
The roof is 100 billion percent a problem. I went to school with and lived with the person on the planet who is the most familiar with with structural limitations of the saddledome roof. Could give 3 craps about the politics and financials but the roof absolutely limits what shows come to town and the speaker setups of the ones that do. Nenshi made up some crap years ago about this not being the case and then immediately stopped that rhetoric a few weeks later when he was likely told behind the scenes he was totally wrong.

Not trusting "the science" happens to all politicians unfortunately.
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 09:40 AM   #1819
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
The roof is 100 billion percent a problem. I went to school with and lived with the person on the planet who is the most familiar with with structural limitations of the saddledome roof. Could give 3 craps about the politics and financials but the roof absolutely limits what shows come to town and the speaker setups of the ones that do. Nenshi made up some crap years ago about this not being the case and then immediately stopped that rhetoric a few weeks later when he was likely told behind the scenes he was totally wrong.

Not trusting "the science" happens to all politicians unfortunately.
I'm pretty sure Nenshi said that the Dome being old was overblown in how many acts were skipping our city:

Quote:
"Is it worth spending limited tax dollars so that Lady Gaga may or may not come, and few can afford a ticket? I don't see it," Mr. Nenshi wrote. "I called the biggest concert promoter in Canada and they said 1-2 concerts a year skip Calgary. Is that worth half-a-billion?"
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...rticle8146553/

10 years later and City Council did in fact, think it was worth spending (more) than half a billion.
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Fisher Account For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2023, 10:16 AM   #1820
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
The point, yet unrefuted, is that those selfsame billionaires refuse to finance the entire thing themselves, which they can well afford, but want to suck up OPM (their usual model), in this case from us poor schlubs who will not only derive little benefit from it, but have to pay more to even use the sucker.

Greed and generosity CAN live in the same person; they're not mutually exclusive. But a LOT of "generosity" is about winning "acceptance", too.
So hyperbole then…good to know. You meant all that in your “eat your money…it’s just greed” post? Not once have the “sameself billionaires” refused, in fact they have never been asked. The city has yet to tell them they had to do it themselves. Faced with the possibility that a partnership may not be a reality they indicated they are unwilling. Partnership is the key here with both side seeing there is benefits. The idea that this was some hostile takeover of the city budget is a false premise. There are benefits to others including me, I flew from Calgary to Vancouver for a concert last weekend. Stayed, eat, drank, golfed (pitch and put Stanley Park-what and awesome deal!), road public transit- Seatrain, paid for entrance to Capilano Suspension Bridge Park. All-in-all we spent a couple of thousand dollars per couple that we could have spent in Calgary if it offered the same level of entertainment as Vancouver. And we were not the only ones. It’s a disgrace that Edmonton and Vancouver can host these concerts and Calgary misses out on the tourist revenue.Calgary need to be a destination and the Event Center is one of the solutions. But blah blah blah billionaires, its a fricken broken record, just self righteous blinders. This is the hill you are going to die on? There are bigger taxpayer funded issues out there.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote