Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2023, 12:29 PM   #61
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I wouldn't overlook Chris Tanev, even given his contract situation. Certainly a guy who leads by example, and there's a good argument to have a defenceman as captain (typically on the ice more than a forward).
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:32 PM   #62
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
His offensive numbers were good but his defensive game is starting to erode. If Backlund wants money anywhere near what he makes now you ship him out the door. Personally I would anyhow, I think a change of scenery would be good for both parties. The guy has asked out for two straight years now, grant him it.
His numbers the last 2 seasons are among some of the best in his career. I see no signs of defensive erosion. Lose Backlund and you might as well tear it down to the studs. You aren't winning or competing for a title without him or at the very least a highly capable replacement considering Kadri is not capable of playing the tougher matchups.

Change is needed and if Lindholm is still non-committal, you flip him or him+ for another first rounder this year and rely on Backlund and Kadri to bridge the gap until these two picks are ready to join the new, younger lineup featuring Pelletier, Coronato, Wolf. You obviously need a partner to make it happen, but another sign and trade could be appealing to several of the teams in the 8-12 range imo. If you were to add say Colby Barlow and Mathew Wood to that group via the 2023 draft, suddenly the roster is starting to look a whole lot different and more promising in a season or two.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-24-2023 at 12:39 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 12:38 PM   #63
Redlan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post

There was no player that felt he could be the buffer [between Sutter and the players].
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Exactly. Why does someone need to have a "C" on their jersey to run the room?!
This is a big leadership issue if no one could step up to do this. A true leader would assume this role regardless of the situation of who is a Captain, Alternate, etc. Listened to the podcast and that was the insinuation, no player felt they were assigned the role but a true leader would not care and take that upon themselves. Now maybe Backlund actually did this and really the players want this acknowledge and consistency in the role.

I don't buy into youth and longevity augments as to who should get the "C" - it should go to the player who could best fill the responsibility, particularly in instances team related at this time.
Redlan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redlan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 12:41 PM   #64
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, no thanks. Hopefully Backlund is traded.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to keenan87 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 12:42 PM   #65
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
I don't think it's a viable option anymore. He will be 35 when a new contract kicks in, and I am not sure you want to be appointing a player who is rumored to have requested out in two consecutive summers leading the dressing room.

I think you need to look to a long term leader in Andersson or Weegar.

I also don't really like the angle of "name me captain" or I'll look elsewhere, even though I get it from his perspective.
I understand Backlund’s perspective. He got shafted through the years when he was a silent performer in his role. But to me it’s a sunk cost like you said. He’s older and it doesn’t make much sense. If just apologize to him for the wrong, but righting that wrong doesn’t mean he should be captain if he won’t be around long term from a team planning perspective. The team should simply be moving on from anyone older at this point. I like Weegar as captain. Andersson I don’t think has a high level of play to be around long term.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:48 PM   #66
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
His numbers the last 2 seasons are among some of the best in his career. I see no signs of defensive erosion. Lose Backlund and you might as well tear it down to the studs. You aren't winning or competing for a title without him or at the very least a highly capable replacement considering Kadri is not capable of playing the tougher matchups.

Change is needed and if Lindholm is still non-committal, you flip him or him+ for another first rounder this year and rely on Backlund and Kadri to bridge the gap until these two picks are ready to join the new, younger lineup featuring Pelletier, Coronato, Wolf. You obviously need a partner to make it happen, but another sign and trade could be appealing to several of the teams in the 8-12 range imo. If you were to add say Colby Barlow and Mathew Wood to that group via the 2023 draft, suddenly the roster is starting to look a whole lot different and more promising in a season or two.
If you are relying on Kadri and Backlund to fill in the gap that Lindholm would leave you might as well blow it up because they can't and the team will be a lottery team. Bscklund's defensive game has not been high end for a few seasons now, there is zero reason to keep him him if you are moving Lindholm for futures. Especially after he said he wants to play for a contender which this team is definitely not without Lindholm or replacing him with someone who can play #1 C.
dissentowner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:49 PM   #67
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
I understand Backlund’s perspective. He got shafted through the years when he was a silent performer in his role. But to me it’s a sunk cost like you said. He’s older and it doesn’t make much sense. If just apologize to him for the wrong, but righting that wrong doesn’t mean he should be captain if he won’t be around long term from a team planning perspective. The team should simply be moving on from anyone older at this point. I like Weegar as captain. Andersson I don’t think has a high level of play to be around long term.
There's far less impact and risk to re-upping with Backlund on a 2-3 year deal (and giving him the C) than there is extending guys like Lindholm, Toffoli, Hanifin for much longer as would be required.

The biggest concern is not who is captain, but who needs to be shipped out in order to give the room a reset that it needs. You're not moving Kadri or Huberdeau at this point so it has to be one of the above and if done prudently could net a serious return and give the franchise a big shot in the arm.
Old 05-24-2023, 12:54 PM   #68
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
There's far less impact and risk to re-upping with Backlund on a 2-3 year deal (and giving him the C) than there is extending guys like Lindholm, Toffoli, Hanifin for much longer as would be required.

The biggest concern is not who is captain, but who needs to be shipped out in order to give the room a reset that it needs. You're not moving Kadri or Huberdeau at this point so it has to be one of the above and if done prudently could net a serious return and give the franchise a big shot in the arm.
Agree completely.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 12:57 PM   #69
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
If you are relying on Kadri and Backlund to fill in the gap that Lindholm would leave you might as well blow it up because they can't and the team will be a lottery team. Bscklund's defensive game has not been high end for a few seasons now, there is zero reason to keep him him if you are moving Lindholm for futures. Especially after he said he wants to play for a contender which this team is definitely not without Lindholm or replacing him with someone who can play #1 C.
Not been high end defensively? Funny as again, Backlund's defensive numbers are among the best in his career the last couple of seasons. Strange how this narrative is somehow conveniently forming among those that want him out.

If you're moving Lindholm for futures, that means a capable younger player or high draft pick coming back this year - not something that is 3-4 seasons away from showing up and making an impact. Anyone questioning Backlund should certainly be questioning Lindholm as well. He is right in the wheelhouse of the core group that was not nearly good enough production wise on a night by night basis last season.

Ideally, you can keep both on modest deals in terms of length and AAV and move out players like Toffoli and Tanev to restock the cupboards so to speak. However, I don't see Lindholm asking for anything less than top dollar and term given his recent deal and age. If this is the case it's adios Elias if I'm Conroy.

Last edited by Hot_Flatus; 05-24-2023 at 01:01 PM.
Hot_Flatus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hot_Flatus For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 01:18 PM   #70
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Backlund is going to re-sign, for cheaper then he can get somewhere else. He is my captain.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 02:20 PM   #71
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't get the argument that it's too late for Backlund to become captain (assuming he is re-signed). The start of his new contract will begin 12 months after his career season at the age of 35. Patrice Bergeron, while a higher calibre player but a player Backlund's style is compared to, was named captain of the Bruins on January 7, 2021 when he was 35 years old.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 02:25 PM   #72
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Player requests trades in back to back off-seasons because he wants a chance at winning a Stanley Cup.

…yeah, that’s who you want to be Captain to begin a new era…really?

Trade him.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 03:19 PM   #73
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn't ask for a trade this year...he said he wants a cup with the priority being a cup in Calgary

That is bad?
Old 05-24-2023, 03:21 PM   #74
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

I never heard Backlund requested a trade "to win a cup". That's a conflation of his trade requests (which IMO were Sutter based) and his garbage bag day comments.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 03:29 PM   #75
bzoo02
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Okposo just signed 1yr/$2.5MM. I don't think a 2X$3 or 3X$3 is out of the question for Backlund.
bzoo02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:30 PM   #76
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I never heard Backlund requested a trade "to win a cup". That's a conflation of his trade requests (which IMO were Sutter based) and his garbage bag day comments.
He apparently rescinded one of them after the Tkachuk trade
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 03:42 PM   #77
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
He apparently rescinded one of them after the Tkachuk trade

Honest question, did he requested a trade because of Tkachuk then?
Old 05-24-2023, 03:47 PM   #78
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by midniteowl View Post
Honest question, did he requested a trade because of Tkachuk then?
Probably thought with those 2 gone it was going to be a rebuild. Trade return probably changed his mind.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kyuss275 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 04:24 PM   #79
Kidder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Honestly surprised by some of the sentiment here.

Guy just had a career year, has bled red since draft day, and has such a strong desire to capture the cup he’s prepared to do whatever he needs to achieve that (with his preference being to wear the small C and lead this team to victory).

If he’s going to take a discount and re-sign for a few more years, how the heck are you not on board?

I’d be thrilled if Backlund decides to stay and assumes the captaincy.
Old 05-24-2023, 04:28 PM   #80
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie Dunlop View Post
Decide the Captaincy via Feats of Strength.
GoT and Giuliani: instead of Trial by Combat, it'll be captaincy by combat. Bring it on!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote