Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2023, 12:17 PM   #561
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Remember in Season 2 when Apple asked for 12 episodes instead the original 10 and we got the odd Xmas episode and something else as late minute bolt-ons? I can't help but feel that's what happened here with Season 3 with some of these storylines involving secondary characters that have come and gone. (i.e. Zava, Jacks)
I-Hate-Hulse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2023, 10:04 PM   #562
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I don't see Zava in that vein at all. He was clearly a big part of the development of the overall story of the team, not a filler character at all.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 10:09 AM   #563
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Remember in Season 2 when Apple asked for 12 episodes instead the original 10 and we got the odd Xmas episode and something else as late minute bolt-ons? I can't help but feel that's what happened here with Season 3 with some of these storylines involving secondary characters that have come and gone. (i.e. Zava, Jacks)
Never compare the Jack story line to the Christmas episode ever again!
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 11:11 AM   #564
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Never compare the Jack story line to the Christmas episode ever again!
Agreed!
The Jack storyline wasn't great, but it wasn't as bad as people are making it out to be. Keeley needed to be dating someone else for the leaked video story to work.
Jack: is horrible about it
Roy: is well intentioned but handles it poorly, and realizes it
Jamie: Is responsible for it, and is the only person who acts appropriately about it
Take out Jack, and Roy looks like the complete bad guy rather than the guy who made a mistake and immediately recognized it.
So not the best, but it did provide some movement on plot and character development. I'd say it's actually pretty pivotal to Jamie's arc.

The Christmas episode?
That has become must view Christmas material in my house.
Despite not moving the plot at all, it's one of the best episodes of the whole show, and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise!

Last edited by Bring_Back_Shantz; 05-15-2023 at 11:13 AM.
Bring_Back_Shantz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bring_Back_Shantz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 11:49 AM   #565
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Beard's night out was the other extra episode. Which i actually enjoyed quite a bit.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 02:51 PM   #566
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

The two best episodes in the entire series were the Xmas episode and "Beard After Hours", in my opinion. Hilarious to me that they were "tacked on, extra" episodes.

It's interesting reading reviews of episodes of this show. There seems to be a strong contingent of critics who detest any episodes or storylines that aren't directly related to the soccer club itself. Whereas I don't give a flying #### about the soccer. I find it's a common refrain from people when watching lots and lots of TV shows nowadays; lots of people I know hated "filler" episodes of Game of Thrones and The Mandalorian, for example.

I find it eminently funny. To me the LEAST interesting parts of Ted Lasso are the actual soccer games, and it's the "filler" episodes and storylines that are the good bits. This season the best episode was far and away the night off in Amsterdam.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 03:56 PM   #567
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
The two best episodes in the entire series were the Xmas episode and "Beard After Hours", in my opinion. Hilarious to me that they were "tacked on, extra" episodes.

It's interesting reading reviews of episodes of this show. There seems to be a strong contingent of critics who detest any episodes or storylines that aren't directly related to the soccer club itself. Whereas I don't give a flying #### about the soccer. I find it's a common refrain from people when watching lots and lots of TV shows nowadays; lots of people I know hated "filler" episodes of Game of Thrones and The Mandalorian, for example.

I find it eminently funny. To me the LEAST interesting parts of Ted Lasso are the actual soccer games, and it's the "filler" episodes and storylines that are the good bits. This season the best episode was far and away the night off in Amsterdam.
Sir...we need words or its time to throw hands.

Do you have any idea how long we have waited for a good soccer show?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 04:12 PM   #568
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

No, and I don't give a #### either!
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2023, 04:20 PM   #569
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

ya i dont care about the soccer stuff tbf.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 04:39 PM   #570
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

So many bad people in this thread. I hope you don't interact with children.
Bill Bumface is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2023, 06:29 PM   #571
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Who, me?

As infrequently as possible!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 11:36 AM   #572
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I'll be fine if this is the last season of the show, still has some charm and decent writing but it's gone downhill. We don't even typically finish an episode in one sitting anymore. :/
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:05 PM   #573
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I think I'll be fine if this is the last season of the show, still has some charm and decent writing but it's gone downhill. We don't even typically finish an episode in one sitting anymore. :/
It's not as strong as season 2 but it's still amazing.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:34 PM   #574
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post

I would describe the Amsterdam episode as the most soccer-focused episode this season. Outside of Rebecca's storyline, it featured Ted learning about Total Football, the team bonding, and Roy/Jamie training.

Those are the arcs that the "football people" actually like. the arcs focused on football. As a football fan, i don't want to watch football on the show, but the best bits are the one focused on the club
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 12:39 PM   #575
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I would describe the Amsterdam episode as the most soccer-focused episode this season. Outside of Rebecca's storyline, it featured Ted learning about Total Football, the team bonding, and Roy/Jamie training.

Those are the arcs that the "football people" actually like. the arcs focused on football. As a football fan, i don't want to watch football on the show, but the best bits are the one focused on the club
Yeah, I saw that coming from miles away too.

Yeah, thats 'Total Football' it was invented by Johan Cruyff...like 50 years ago and its almost impossible to successfully implement. You need pretty damned good and specifically talented players.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-16-2023, 12:55 PM   #576
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coach Beard fainting after Roy said they did a great job....

Like I said, very few shows get a genuine 'laugh out loud' moment from me but this show seems to pull them regularly.

Old 05-16-2023, 05:03 PM   #577
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Yeah, I saw that coming from miles away too.

Yeah, thats 'Total Football' it was invented by Johan Cruyff...like 50 years ago and its almost impossible to successfully implement. You need pretty damned good and specifically talented players.
The best part of that whole thing though was Ted literally invented it all over again while "tripping balls" in an American-themed resteraunt in the middle of Amsterdam on mushrooms that turned out to be duds lol.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2023, 07:32 PM   #578
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
The best part of that whole thing though was Ted literally invented it all over again while "tripping balls" in an American-themed resteraunt in the middle of Amsterdam on mushrooms that turned out to be duds lol.
Oh thats defenitely going to be an element to this show.

Because we've been led to understand that Ted is a 'Man Manager' while Beard and Roy take care of the tactics...so something is coming.

Old 05-16-2023, 11:17 PM   #579
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

10 out of 10 tonight. Wonderful episode.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2023, 11:24 PM   #580
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I didn't think they'd ever top the scene where Jamie teaches Roy how to ride a bike, but Uncle Day might have just done it. Also in case you missed it, the Canadian TV commentators for the CAN/MEX match were played by Ryan Stiles and Colin Mochrie
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post: