Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-31-2023, 04:09 PM   #1321
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just think Druckmann's ego isn't likely to let him fix the many structural and pacing problems with Part 2. This season was really very faithful to the first game, and in the case of the first game that was mostly a good thing. That's really not the case going forward, in my opinion. But he seems to take praise (or fawning) to heart readily and dismiss criticism, and there's been plenty of praise to reinforce his views about his own storytelling abilities over the course of this season's run. I think it's going to suffer from basically everything the second game did.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 04:10 PM   #1322
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Indeed.

You are dead to me now Pedro Pascal.

You learned of Canadian Love...now you shall learn of Canadian Grudge.

Sorry, but we never forgive....and we never forget.
Spoiler!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:14 PM   #1323
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Indeed.

You are dead to me now Pedro Pascal.

You learned of Canadian Love...now you shall learn of Canadian Grudge.

Sorry, but we never forgive....and we never forget.
I don’t think he picks the filming locations !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 04:51 PM   #1324
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Spoiler!

Last edited by timun; 04-03-2023 at 02:49 PM.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 05:07 PM   #1325
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

re structure of TLOU2:

Spoiler!
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 06:07 PM   #1326
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I've made my choice.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2023, 06:15 PM   #1327
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post

Yes, but he left $16M on the table to sign with a non-contender just to get out of Calgary!
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:34 PM   #1328
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Boo!

With most of the second game taking place in Seattle, it makes sense to shoot in that area.

You'd have to think they'll still shoot some of the scenes that take place in Jackson around Canmore. I've also thought the part of the game where they go to the museum would make sense to shoot in Drumheller.
They could probably fake Jackson in a BC mountain town like Whistler.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 08:37 PM   #1329
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

This entire production is dead to me also. I was never liked the original game much, the 2nd is one of the most dreary and dreadful stories I have had the displeasure of sitting through. I don't think Druckmann's ego would allow them to really make a compelling HBO TV series out of this and focus on the world building and do something different than the story of interpersonal hatred that the 2nd game is all about.

I was totally into this series just for the local film making aspect of it which was really cool to experience as they filmed many scenes so close to me that it was just outside my bedroom window and within my actual workplace.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:12 PM   #1330
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
I will now boycott this show.
Didn't they film in No Good land in Season One? I mean, it is the end of the world after all.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 07:56 AM   #1331
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Major second game spoilers, do not click if you have not played:

Spoiler!
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 10:10 AM   #1332
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Boo!

With most of the second game taking place in Seattle, it makes sense to shoot in that area.

You'd have to think they'll still shoot some of the scenes that take place in Jackson around Canmore. I've also thought the part of the game where they go to the museum would make sense to shoot in Drumheller.
They won't do any of that, they'll just make do with locations around the BC area for everything, like they did with the first season in Alberta.

The second series had zero chance of filming in Alberta no matter how much they enjoyed it here, so I'm really stoked that it's staying in Canada.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2023, 10:51 AM   #1333
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

April fools?
Old 04-01-2023, 12:44 PM   #1334
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's not at all surprising based on the second game. I'm playing through it a second time right now, and I'd forgotten how much of it took place on the coast.

I wonder if HBO will have the same kind of access in Vancouver as they did in Alberta. I just can't see them being able to close a major artery in downtown Vancouver, for example. Plus they'd be competing with other projects for locations, etc.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure they will make it work, as so many productions are filmed there and they seem to make it work. But Calgary, and the province really seemed to roll out the red carpet for production, and I'm wondering how common that is in BC.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2023, 05:23 PM   #1335
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I just think Druckmann's ego isn't likely to let him fix the many structural and pacing problems with Part 2. This season was really very faithful to the first game, and in the case of the first game that was mostly a good thing. That's really not the case going forward, in my opinion. But he seems to take praise (or fawning) to heart readily and dismiss criticism, and there's been plenty of praise to reinforce his views about his own storytelling abilities over the course of this season's run. I think it's going to suffer from basically everything the second game did.
lol with this r/lastofus2 crap.

Neil's clearly a very smart guy. He's been very vocal during his career how much feedback he took from people and how much his projects changed because of the negative feedback he received. From what I've seen of him, the guy doesn't seem to have much of an ego at all. There's a subsection of fans (see: incels) that has launched a pretty crazy smear campaign against him, which always felt had some pretty clear anti-semitic undertones.

There are definitely some valid complaints about structure (and narrative) issues with Part II, but the major winging comes from a very small minority of the fans. I believe that the game did have some logical gaffs (such as the welcoming behaviour of some certain characters), but it was nearly perfect. It was also released to nearly universal praise as well outside of the gamergate crowd.

I do also think anyone (including Neil) could tell you the structure of that game would not smoothly transfer over to TV. There will need to be major readjustments to the story, as a TV audience will probably not stick around for the narrative device used at the halfway mark.

Mazin and Drukmann are both very smart guys, so I'm not worried about them transitioning it to TV.

Last edited by Cole436; 04-02-2023 at 01:38 PM.
Cole436 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cole436 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 08:09 AM   #1336
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t see what gamergate/incels/anti-semitism has to do with Corsi’s post, considering he is none of those things. I think Corsi even enjoyed the game more than I did, as I thought it was pretty bad all around and just a deeply flawed, boring, and depressing mess.

I loved the first season. There’s a good chance as of now that I don’t even bother watching the second.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 08:19 AM   #1337
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always found it interesting how critical this board (or at least parts of it) has been of the second game. Can only speak for myself, but I haven't seen that on the other places I visit and from other people I know who've played the game. Tenor there is overwhelmingly positive, whereas on this board, you get the impression it's a steaming pile of ####. No right or wrong here and people will have different opinions, it's just an interesting dichotomy that I haven't seen for any other game. Really seems there's either love or hate, with nothing in between.

Nver got the hate for Druckmann. There's this narrative out there that Druckmann is an idiot who constantly got saved by Straley, the storytelling hero ... okay then.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 10:20 AM   #1338
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
re structure of TLOU2:

Spoiler!
That doesn't make sense to me, but I'll take your word for it. I didn't poke into the details of how Druckmann and group did things much at all. I just comment based on how I saw it when I played it.

I really didn't like how the first few hours gave you a huge idea about what the later game would be like, but the later game felt like it was written in a way where the writing felt like it expected you to have no idea what was going on at all. It basically spoilered a ton of the late game. In other stories where you follow the story from two totally different perspectives, you're still learning new information all the time and curious where you'll intersect. I've always felt a minor tweaking in order could have amplified the game to another level for enjoyment. I also literally felt (but don't know for sure) like the story of TLOU2 was written to be optimized in a different order, then forced into the final order and thus it feels weird because you can see those story mechanics in the later game that seem strangely out of place.

IMO the second season shouldn't follow a similar format. IMO, the stories alone are really good. But I'm also just saying I'm worried that the story telling format that we saw in TLOU2, seemed to exist in TLOU HBO, so I'm just saying I'm worried they might stumble with the story in TLOU2 HBO.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2023, 10:49 AM   #1339
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

When I finished the second game I felt a little let down. At the time it didn't live up to the first, which is in my top 3 favourite games.

I played LOU2 again over the Christmas break and it changed my mind. I loved it. I don't think there are any games better at storytelling than the LOU series.

For sure it was depressing. That was part of the point. But it was engaging as hell and was miles ahead of any other game in terms of telling an impactful story.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2023, 10:57 AM   #1340
FormerPresJamesTaylor
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Major second game spoilers, do not click if you have not played:
[Spoilers after episodes have aired -- no game spoilers]

Is it that hard?
FormerPresJamesTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FormerPresJamesTaylor For This Useful Post: