Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-27-2023, 02:31 PM   #6081
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's awesome! You should have a blast.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 08:03 PM   #6082
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
Where are you staying (part of town)? How far do you want to drive? How much you want to spend and how nice a course you want to play (as much as the traffic will bear)? The July long weekend is going to have plenty of good deals, but be prepared to get out early. The later you play the easier it is to get a tee time and better deals will be available, but you have to deal with the heat. I can give you a number of recommendations depending on where you're staying.
I believe we are staying near Cave Creek/Carefree.
I’d like to stay in that general area if possible but am happy to drive up to 45 minutes for the right place. I’d say under $100 USD a round probably - but if there’s a gem you recommend for more maybe I’ll get out by myself one morning and do it. And yeah, I imagine we’ll be aiming for early morning rounds. Thanks!
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 09:01 PM   #6083
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

You're in luck, most courses should be under $100, even up in that neck of the woods where courses are more expensive than elsewhere. Keep your eyes peeled for specials at Boulders in Carefree and Troon North and Grayhawk in Scottsdale. All are top end facilities that you can normally get a break on during the summer. All three are 36 hole facilities and all courses are really nice. Those will be your big name courses to hunt down and you might catch a round for under $100 if timing is right.

If you're looking for good courses at more than fair price where you can save some coin and still get great value I would recommend Legend Trail. Really nice track, usually kept in good shape, and a good value. Rancho Manana is a good course but conditions can be spotty because of water issues. It is also tough and a true shot-maker's golf course. Check to see what conditions are before going, it can be spotty.

If you're willing to travel a bit here are the courses I would spend my money on.

Quintero in Peoria is fantastic. Always in good shape and a great layout. Makes you hit every club in your bag and hit them straight. It was supposed to be a private community for the rich, but it never rebounded when the economy went soft. The course is still waiting for the clubhouse to be built, but don't let that distract you. The place is a hidden gem.

Eagle Mountain in Fountain Hills is also a keeper. Wonderful layout and conditions are normally right up there. Usually get a great value and bang for your buck here, and some of the houses around the course are obscene. Worth the drive IMO.

We-Ko-Pa on the Fort McDowell reservation comes highly regarded and is surrounded by nothing but desert. Personally, I'm not a fan, but there are lots of people who love it. I think some of the holes are tricked up and it's gotcha golf, but that is my personal opinion/preference. The two courses are always in great shape and the value is usually quite good, so I would still put it on your list. I would recommend Saguaro over Cholla as the later features quite a few blind shots.

If you're not afraid of a long drive and want something really memorable, make the drive out to Gold Canyon and play Dinosaur Mountain. It is framed by the Superstition Mountains and every hole is a picture postcard. It is always well maintained and is a layout that is unforgettable. It features six par threes, but don't let that dissuade you
as each is unique and difficult. It is one of the best in the state and for good reason. It might be too much of a drive for you, but I always have to pump the tires on this one-of-kind track.

If you're looking for something for a round near the airport on arrival or departure, look at The Raven or The Legacy. Both are great courses and are close enough (15 minutes from car rental) that you can get a round in before a late afternoon flight out.

One last piece of advice, stay away from TPC Scottsdale. They will gouge the hell out of you and the course is not what you see on TV. By time you get down here the stands will be gone and the holes will look nothing at like you remember them on TV. Without the stands the course is pretty pedestrian and forgettable. I tried to convince some buddies to skip it and make the trip out to Wickenburg to play Wickenburg Ranch, but they insisted on TPC. It did not live up to their expectations and was one of the most expensive rounds they would play. We did get to Wickenburg on another trip and they were pissed I didn't take them there their previous trip down. It's a jaunt from where you're staying so doesn't make the list but something to put in your memory banks for another trip down.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2023, 01:08 PM   #6084
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Earlier today, Sunday, I went to golf future (r game) to hit balls. It was pretty surreal hittting against a backdrop of snow falling. I mostly went there as I did not feel like driving to the golf dome

I cheaped out and hit downstairs.. feel like the lessons are starting to pay some dividends as I felt the majority of my shots were decent.

It was also nice that they had some baskets of balls inside and somewhat warm

Have my 4th g
Lesson with Josh Fleming tomorrow.
Old 03-07-2023, 07:07 PM   #6085
iggypop
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
Earlier today, Sunday, I went to golf future (r game) to hit balls. It was pretty surreal hittting against a backdrop of snow falling. I mostly went there as I did not feel like driving to the golf dome

I cheaped out and hit downstairs.. feel like the lessons are starting to pay some dividends as I felt the majority of my shots were decent.

It was also nice that they had some baskets of balls inside and somewhat warm

Have my 4th g
Lesson with Josh Fleming tomorrow.
How do you like Josh? I was thinking of booking a lesson with him.
iggypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2023, 07:15 PM   #6086
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

My new weapon, the Cleveland Hywood, came in today. I tried it on a sim this evening. It is a cheat code. I anticipate that I will soon be on the PGA Tour, so long as no one else finds out about it.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2023, 08:12 PM   #6087
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggypop View Post
How do you like Josh? I was thinking of booking a lesson with him.
I feel like there have been some improvements in how I hit the ball, but I guess I won’t know until I am in Palm Springs at the end of the month.

I enjoy going there and working with him.

So many little pieces to the golf swing
Old 03-13-2023, 08:05 AM   #6088
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Golf show this weekend.

Are there any deals to be had ? I am looking for new Irons...
Old 03-13-2023, 08:32 AM   #6089
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

over the weekend I booked two of my planned four rounds in Palm Springs at the enof this month.

Booked Cimarron Boulder and Indian Canyon. Will book the remaining rounds once I am down there.

My plan is to golf with my wife; however, she tweekend her wrist skiing last month. while she has been hitting the ball a bit during lessons, her ability to golf is a question mark. If she cant golf, then that will likely change my course slection as I would then look at something at PGA west if only one of us is golfing
Old 03-13-2023, 02:44 PM   #6090
kcin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone have a website or list of local amateur tournaments that are open to anyone to sign up for? Full disclosure: I'm not good at golf anymore but trying to get back into it and get the handicap back down to a respectable level. I figure tournament golf would be a great opportunity to see where I'm really at versus playing casually by myself or with buddies.

Thanks in advance
kcin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2023, 02:50 PM   #6091
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ there is a facebook group called Calgary Golf Buddies that you join or possibly creep on that might list this information
Old 03-13-2023, 02:58 PM   #6092
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcin View Post
Anyone have a website or list of local amateur tournaments that are open to anyone to sign up for? Full disclosure: I'm not good at golf anymore but trying to get back into it and get the handicap back down to a respectable level. I figure tournament golf would be a great opportunity to see where I'm really at versus playing casually by myself or with buddies.

Thanks in advance
Try Upswing Golf. They have events, not necessarily full blown tournaments, throughout the summer. I signed up last year and there were some good events. I've got my eye on the May events at Banff Springs and/or Stewart Creek, the season wrap up at Silvertip and maybe one or two others throughout the summer.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2023, 10:43 PM   #6093
trieu8
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Who is the best putter fitter in Calgary? I’ve done multiple club fittings but never the putter.
trieu8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2023, 06:39 AM   #6094
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trieu8 View Post
Who is the best putter fitter in Calgary? I’ve done multiple club fittings but never the putter.
TXG or Modern Golf is where I'd start.
CarlLester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2023, 07:05 AM   #6095
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

well only one more week until we go to palm springs. I have been going to see Josh Fleming at 365 Golf almost weekly for the last month.

On monday night I was hitting my 5-wood almost 200 (as per the trackman) and if this number is real, I would be pretty pleased as it was getting to be my 170 club before. although for the past two weeks I have not been able to hit my hybrid and that used to be a favorite club

He shows me video of my swing when i first went to see him and the differences are huge

i do feel like every week though we are adding a new little piece to the swing
Old 03-22-2023, 10:41 AM   #6096
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Last year I golfed four days from now.

edit: granted, April sucked after that, but still.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 07:22 PM   #6097
Loudog
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Anyone have a crystal ball for when courses like fox hollow and HeatherGlen will open up?
Loudog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 02:58 AM   #6098
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudog View Post
Anyone have a crystal ball for when courses like fox hollow and HeatherGlen will open up?
Masters is a few weeks, then a couple weeks after that they usually open. June everything greens up.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 08:52 AM   #6099
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rutuu View Post
Masters is a few weeks, then a couple weeks after that they usually open. June everything greens up.
Well this hasn’t been accurate in years.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2023, 09:51 AM   #6100
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loudog View Post

As early as they can.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
net5 , punch out , royal boulder , tpc fox hollow