Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-20-2023, 07:53 AM   #441
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I mean, those are some pretty dumb lab workers.

"Imma sell this here infected bat/monkey/bat-monkey down at the market."

My honest opinion is that we've got it narrowed down to two options: bad lab and bad market. We likely won't ever have definitive proof either way, but seems to me both have some serious issues that should be reformed.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:30 PM   #442
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Not really. I am also not believing 3 year old data the Chinese suddenly uploaded now that the noose is closing.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/covid...gins-1.6782273
China does not want wet market being the source of the pandemic. They've been trying to steer the discourse to other countries and have suppressed any investigations of local markets
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 04:36 PM   #443
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Interesting read on a new analysis based on a bunch of metagenomic data that was uploaded then removed from a database.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2023...ovids-origins/

Quote:
A group of independent, international researchers has released its full analysis of newly uncovered metagenomic data collected by the Chinese Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in January and February of 2020. The data closely links SARS-CoV-2 to the genetic tracks of wild animals, particularly raccoon dogs, sold at the Huanan Wholesale Seafood Market in Wuhan, China, the early epicenter of the COVID-19 pandemic, the group's analysis says.

The full analysis provides additional, compelling evidence that the pandemic coronavirus made its leap to humans through a natural spillover, with a wild animal at the market acting as an intermediate host between the virus' natural reservoir in horseshoe bats and humans. It was authored by 19 scientists, led by Michael Worobey, an evolutionary biologist at the University of Arizona; Kristian Andersen, a virologist at the Scripps Research Institute in California; and Florence Débarre, a theoretician who specializes in evolutionary biology at France's national research agency, CNRS.
Old 03-21-2023, 09:14 PM   #444
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
China does not want wet market being the source of the pandemic. They've been trying to steer the discourse to other countries and have suppressed any investigations of local markets
Fair but why?
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2023, 11:25 PM   #445
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
Fair but why?
Likely because a worldwide pandemic starting from illegal wildlife trade and protected species being openly sold at wet markets (after they had already been implicated in the SARS outbreak) in violation of the law makes the Chinese authorities look weak and ineffective.

For the first 1.5 years of the pandemic the Chinese government denied that live animals were even sold at the Huanan Seafood Market. Only when a paper (co-authored by British and Canadian researchers) showing evidence of live animals being sold at the market from 2017 to late 2019 was released did they even concede that. They clearly don't want the wet market or their animal trade implicated in being the source of COVID, any more than they want a lab leak to be the source.
opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2023, 04:39 AM   #446
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Having lived in Asia for over a decade, it will take some very, very strong evidence to move me off of my personal belief that the following is the origin of the pandemic:

1) The Wuhan lab was experimenting with coronaviruses

2) Staff at the lab were making extra money by selling animals & meat to the wet market

3) An animal infected with a coronavirus ended up at the wetmarket, and from there infected either people directly, or another animal and from there people.

I'm not sure if you'd classify this as a 'lableak' or a 'zoonotic' or what, but nothing I've read has come close to moving me off this belief.
I also subscribe to this. Just personal opinion with zero evidence but likewise based off of my time in Asia. It's how everything worked that I ever saw.
jjgallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2023, 09:08 AM   #447
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/inves...-risk-pandemic

wherever Covid came from, one thing is clear: We've learned nothing, done nothing about the risks.

Cool. I guess it wasn't big enough.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jjgallow For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2023, 09:00 PM   #448
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-ne...senate-report/

Pretty quiet in here considering the latest updates.
Old 04-28-2023, 10:22 PM   #449
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

This thread from a virologist covers that Senate report nicely. Have a read.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1648458957722390529
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 06:03 PM   #450
jjgallow
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
This thread from a virologist covers that Senate report nicely. Have a read.

blah blah

That's great and all for people still clinging to their poorly constructed realities where there should be no coincidence about a mutated coronavirus virus appearing beside a lab with a poor safety record that mutates coronaviruses.

I saw this massive wall of twitter text (worst medium you could ever use for that). Her main point seemed to be that:

1. The font was bad
2. She found some grammar and spelling mistakes.

So. What she actually did, was publish a draft article probably entrusted to her or someone she knew for legitimate feedback. And as soon as the actual article was released, she published the draft article rather than the real one.

That...is...among other things, unethical, unprofessional, childish, and narcisistic considering she did a big big thing on twitter (again why twitter?) last year about she "knew" the truth and how great she was. BTW for anyone who's visited her website, she should not be knocking 1990s websites.

For anyone interested in actually reading the real article (I know, twitter is so much more reliable), it's here:

https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...origins-report

It might help some people to understand why the rest of the world outside of this person's twitter account is starting to take lab safety and regulation a little more seriously now.
Old 04-29-2023, 06:51 PM   #451
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

That virologist was also claiming it was 100% settled that it was natural occurrence before there was any solid evidence of it. She certainly knows the topic, but there's also a bias there. If you're claiming something is 100% settled when you have no definitive evidence in either direction, it's a problem.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2023, 08:20 PM   #452
Codes
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjgallow View Post
I saw this massive wall of twitter text (worst medium you could ever use for that). Her main point seemed to be that:

1. The font was bad
2. She found some grammar and spelling mistakes.
I haven't read the document in detail, and it is not my intent to provide any commentary on the debate itself, but I will say it is disingenuous to liken these errors as simple grammar or spelling mistakes. Instead, she is rightly pointing out that the authors display a critical lack of understanding on the subject, which really does torpedo the credibility of the report. If this was published in an academic setting, well, it wouldn't have been.

But certainly, her publishing the draft report is not a good look. It would be interesting to compare the documents to see what made the cut.

Last edited by Codes; 04-29-2023 at 08:24 PM.
Codes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 08:41 AM   #453
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know where the other Covid threads are and I don't remember if there was a good news thread but the WHO declared that the global public health emergency is over. Congratulations everyone, we made it! Time to party.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calgarygeologist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 10:47 AM   #454
Knut

Exp:

I have already started licking doorknobs again. The Brass ones are my favorite.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 05-05-2023, 10:48 AM   #455
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Do you think that the Vax jabs and the associated mandates went back in time and caused this virus?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:53 AM   #456
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze2 View Post
Do you think that the Vax jabs and the associated mandates went back in time and caused this virus?
Leaning towards no.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:54 AM   #457
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

The US is lifting its proof-of-vaccination requirement for entry via plane next week, as well.
Old 05-05-2023, 10:55 AM   #458
fotze2
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Leaning towards no.
so it was UCP is what you are saying?
fotze2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 10:57 AM   #459
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Tough day for all the people who said they definitely didn’t care about the pandemic or any restrictions now that they’ll officially be the only ones left still obsessing over it.

Hope the Thursday corner crew in Inglewood doesn’t take this news too hard.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2023, 11:00 AM   #460
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Glad that this is being put behind us but I don't trust that China will put forth the proper measures to ensure it doesn't happen again as their track record kind of speaks for itself.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: