Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2023, 01:06 PM   #6401
DigitalCarpenter
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The Last Spell is my current chill game, it's turn a turn based builder / horde killing game. It just dropped version 1.0 and is super fun. Lots of trying to bend / not break when a hard group of mobs appear.

The game play loop is kill hordes of baddies with your heroes at night, then during the day you upgrade your town / heroes and prep for the next night.

It's a rogue like in that there is no save function and if your heroes die you get their gear if you survive and you'll have to hire a replacement.
DigitalCarpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2023, 02:33 PM   #6402
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

well those RE4 remake reviews have me freaking excited ... IGN gave it a 10/10 for example. Decided not to play the demo and not watch any trailers, just want to dive into it as blind as possible. Can't wait for next week.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 11:17 AM   #6403
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need a bit of assistance from y'all. I'm useless at gaming, but my daughter is teaching me how to play TLOU. Anyway, my grandson is here for the weekend, and now he's expressing interest. He's 5 next month. He has a Switch, and he has a corded controller for use with it & some of his games. We have a PS4 system. He's pretty proficient on the systems he has, I think.

Does anyone have any reccs on some kid games we could search out and pick up? I have absolutely zero idea about this stuff and my daughter's feeling a bit lost too, since it's been more than a few years since she was kid-aged.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I'd love to get a couple games he can play with his auntie, something they can do together.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 12:24 PM   #6404
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any of the "Little Big Planet" games, Rayman, Unravel....

He might be a bit young for it at 5, but Unravel Two is a two-player version of Unravel and it's quite fun.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 01:09 PM   #6405
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
Need a bit of assistance from y'all. I'm useless at gaming, but my daughter is teaching me how to play TLOU. Anyway, my grandson is here for the weekend, and now he's expressing interest. He's 5 next month. He has a Switch, and he has a corded controller for use with it & some of his games. We have a PS4 system. He's pretty proficient on the systems he has, I think.

Does anyone have any reccs on some kid games we could search out and pick up? I have absolutely zero idea about this stuff and my daughter's feeling a bit lost too, since it's been more than a few years since she was kid-aged.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated. I'd love to get a couple games he can play with his auntie, something they can do together.
Games for the PS4 or Switch? Super Mario 3D World for the Switch, Sackboy Adventure for the PS4, and Rayman Legends for either can keep 4 players busy for a long time. The new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game is also awesome (for either system), and for a 5-year old boy could be right up his alley

Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 02:30 PM   #6406
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

PS4 please. That's the system *we* have (well, that Auntie has), so what he'd be playing on. I just mentioned the Switch/controller, so people would see that he's got a bit of experience with a system and controllers, wasn't sure if that was pertinent but thought I'd add it.
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2023, 02:35 PM   #6407
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Check out the Lego games too, those are fun co-op with kids
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2023, 02:36 PM   #6408
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

OMG, Shredder's Revenge is so much fun. Takes all the best things from previous retro TMNT games, piles them all together, and then makes it even better. Highly, highly recommend!
Muta is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Muta For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 08:38 AM   #6409
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

I’m trying to decide what to play next after Ghost. Thinking about finally getting around to The Last of Us 2, or God of War.

I’ve never played any of the God of Wars before. Will it be ok to just jump in right at God of War, or are the older games crucial to the story?
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:58 AM   #6410
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I’m trying to decide what to play next after Ghost. Thinking about finally getting around to The Last of Us 2, or God of War.

I’ve never played any of the God of Wars before. Will it be ok to just jump in right at God of War, or are the older games crucial to the story?
I tried God of War having never played any of them before and I completely hated it and quit early on. I think the gameplay is a bit of an acquired taste, especially if games like Tsushima or LOU are ones you like (for me at least).

That said, I didn’t find the story hard to follow at all.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 09:03 AM   #6411
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

pretty much the same for me ... understanding the story was not an issue, the gameplay just wasn't my cup of tea.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 09:53 AM   #6412
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
It will definitely make you reconsider how you play the game and force you to adjust your strategy. It’s one of my quibbles with Team Ninja games, the difficulty goes from a 5 out of 10 to a 70 out of 10 instantly and can bottleneck you for a while. They like to do it with random bosses in their games.

Very fun though, I think I’m near the endgame now and have hit a handful of those cheap boss moments. I’d say this is easier than Nioh since once you get the parrying and combat flow down you chew through almost all enemies instantly.

Except Lu Bu. Do not pursue Lu Bu.
After lord knows how many attempts, I finally beat Lu Bu last night. Took me a long time to get all the parry timings just right but I did it and cheered out loud. Now, knowing these games, I'm sure I'll have to fight him again where he's even stronger later.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kybosh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 01:26 PM   #6413
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

As others already said, Shredder's Revenge is just an amazing game. It will draw you in with the nostalgia, but also is simple enough for my 4/5 year old to crush it on his own.

There's multiple difficulty levels which really helps for the little ones. Can't recommend that game enough, especially for the price. And the length of it allows you to beat it in a few sittings which is a nice accomplishment feeling for the juniors. And i've noticed little kids aren't like us, they don't beat a game then throw it to the side. Replay value is real.

I would also second the Lego games, find the topic your little guy really likes then run with that. For me it was Harry Potter. They can usually be found for a steal on sale as well, I think we got the complete collection for like 85% off. Just be prepared to carry the game play as there are a lot of puzzles, but also if you have time/patience it's great to work through some of the easier ones with the little kids. It also helps to keep a play through up on your phone while you play

Funny thing is, that was actually my kids suggestion as we struggled with where to go at one point. I remember having access GameFaqs by the time I was about 13.. but this new generation definitely has more resources for h4x.

Last edited by GreenLantern; 03-19-2023 at 01:28 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2023, 01:42 PM   #6414
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem I'm having with this steam sale is while everything in my wishlist is on sale it's all 20-30% off. Their usual penchant for deep discounts has made me into a cheapskate such that I'm going "pff, that's barely a sale, I'll wait until it's 50% or better".

I did get To The Moon though, so that's good.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 04:19 PM   #6415
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I tried God of War having never played any of them before and I completely hated it and quit early on. I think the gameplay is a bit of an acquired taste, especially if games like Tsushima or LOU are ones you like (for me at least).

That said, I didn’t find the story hard to follow at all.
The new God of War games are like fantasy mythology The Last of Us, I’d be surprised if anyone who doesn’t like the newer style of Sony games didn’t like them.

The original PS2 ones are totally different though. Better, if you ask me.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 05:03 PM   #6416
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I finished God of War, haven't played Ragnarok yet but will at some point. But it's nothing like Last of Us.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 08:17 PM   #6417
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigitalCarpenter View Post
The Last Spell is my current chill game, it's turn a turn based builder / horde killing game. It just dropped version 1.0 and is super fun. Lots of trying to bend / not break when a hard group of mobs appear.

The game play loop is kill hordes of baddies with your heroes at night, then during the day you upgrade your town / heroes and prep for the next night.

It's a rogue like in that there is no save function and if your heroes die you get their gear if you survive and you'll have to hire a replacement.
This post got me to look into th game because it sounds so much like my jam. After watching a few videos I grabbed the Switch version. It’s absolutely brilliant, somehow lost three hours to it today.

Excels at that “oh goodness I’m screwed” feeling, then making you feel like a genius when you combine your limited abilities to claw your way out of it. I love it so far.

This guy forgot to mention the killer OST though.

Controls can be a little finicky on Switch but they’ve done an admirable job of adapting a very PC-ish UI and since it’s turn based you don’t have to rush and screw things up.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 10:12 AM   #6418
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I finished God of War, haven't played Ragnarok yet but will at some point. But it's nothing like Last of Us.
A lot of the same design philosophy that's bleeding into every Sony game these days -- third person 3/4 camera, lots of cut scenes, constant companion characters jabbering away, family drama, mostly linear with a few more open areas, collecting tons of little trinkets to do boring crafting with, etc.

Let's just say God of War (2018) and Ragnarok are a lot more like The Last of Us than God of War 1-3.
The Following User Says Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2023, 03:41 PM   #6419
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone else spend time with the Diablo 4 beta this weekend?

I was surprised by how much I liked it. It has sky rocketed to the top spot on the ol anticipation list.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2023, 04:34 PM   #6420
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Waiting for the open beta, but some of the videos and stuff I've seen looking forward to it.