Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2023, 06:09 PM   #121
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roughneck View Post
Putting up the bannering along the fences will solve most of the issues with that. But the main issue for viewing is that Earl Grey doesn’t have a lot of good viewing corridors. It’s an easy walk, but everything is pretty tight. Not much room spectators and have them move around. It will be interesting to see what they come up with since Brooke being even more established now than in 2016 plus the Covid golf surge will, I’d imagine, make this a busier open than the previous ones at Priddis. Compare it with Canyon Meadows for the Shaw, there’s a bit more breathing room between holes and more space behind around greens. I say all that, but it’s not like St. George’s was some expansive venue for the RBC that was super busy, they’ll make it work.

In a similar vein, it will also be a challenge just getting people in and out, especially if Lakeview puts up a fuss. Deals with Grey Eagle and MRU for parking and shuttles seems like the most likely option, but Earl Grey is rather isolated for access points. I wonder if they’ll try to get something set up at the Canoe Club end to spread out the traffic rather than trying to funnel everybody in through the main entrance since that will be busy enough with players and staff and VIPs.
It is a tight course without any real space between holes and fairways. I wonder if they will be able to work out some sort of deal with the city to use the Glenmore pathway for some bleachers or something. That might involve temporarily removing the perimeter fencing though.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2023, 06:31 PM   #122
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don’t think any of the holes along the pathway would need the pathway for bleachers. 8/11 and 6(?)/13 probably are bleacher/sponsor area candidates around greensites though. With 11 presumably playing as 1 if 10 is going to be 18 (which makes sense, then they both can have big bleacher areas for the first tee/last green from the Par 3 course; that solves a lot of the capacity problem right there).
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2023, 10:28 AM   #123
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Going back to the team play discussion I didn't realize that the PGA is in partnership to start a team format league next year called TGL. It seems to be a big departure from traditional golf as it is supposed to be played in some sort of new indoor facility and I think it is a virtual/sim environment or something like that.
Old 03-05-2023, 02:22 PM   #124
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Never seen a Sunday like this with so many stars. Everyone is just stumbling and throwing putts away in the top 5.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 02:24 PM   #125
jayswin

Exp:

Hovland looked complety out of it at -4 with the leader at -11. Now he's one off the lead.

That's bay hill though. Seems a bunch will go on a heater or no one does.
Old 03-08-2023, 11:57 PM   #126
jayswin

Exp:

Can't wait for the Players this weekend. Hoping a Canadian or two steps up.
Old 03-09-2023, 07:12 AM   #127
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Can't wait for the Players this weekend. Hoping a Canadian or two steps up.

Taylor Pendrith with a nice start. -3 thru 7 and a share of the lead.
Old 03-12-2023, 10:01 AM   #128
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a strange leaderboard today.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2023, 12:02 PM   #129
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
What a strange leaderboard today.
It looks like it will be an interesting day and there should be some good movement up and down.

One thing that I am really enjoying is a weekend without McIlroy. I've really started to hate him recently.
Old 03-12-2023, 01:06 PM   #130
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

And like that, Scottie has a three shot lead. He could run away with this.
Old 03-12-2023, 02:26 PM   #131
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
And like that, Scottie has a three shot lead. He could run away with this.
It looks like it is over now. Scottie up by 4, 5 up on anyone still playing, it is his tournament to lose. As long as he doesn't make too many stupid mistakes it is hard to see how anyone can catch up.
Old 03-13-2023, 01:23 AM   #132
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
It looks like it will be an interesting day and there should be some good movement up and down.

One thing that I am really enjoying is a weekend without McIlroy. I've really started to hate him recently.
Nobody in my friend circle hates Scheffler but we all call it a "boring Scheffler win" whenever he starts to come on during the weekend. He's just good enough that if he starts rolling on the weekend he's pretty much going to win and likley run away a bit and ruin the excitement of an otherwise great Sunday golf watch.

All four of us that text over golf were done watching early today and on to other things. I'm glad he's really great and he's a good guy, but I just can't get into golf unless there's some chance of 1st place variance in the last 9 holes. Otherwise.....yawn.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:13 AM   #133
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Nobody in my friend circle hates Scheffler but we all call it a "boring Scheffler win" whenever he starts to come on during the weekend. He's just good enough that if he starts rolling on the weekend he's pretty much going to win and likley run away a bit and ruin the excitement of an otherwise great Sunday golf watch.

All four of us that text over golf were done watching early today and on to other things. I'm glad he's really great and he's a good guy, but I just can't get into golf unless there's some chance of 1st place variance in the last 9 holes. Otherwise.....yawn.
Yeah, when only one player in the top ten at the start of the final round plus the leader manage to go under par it can be a boring finish.
Old 03-13-2023, 09:34 AM   #134
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Scheffler is a great player, by all accounts a great guy, but....yeah, he's about as exciting as paint drying. The fact he is so robotic is of course a huge part of what makes him great, but it's also what makes him so dull. And it's not like he owes it to us to become a head case or anything like that, but it's part of what made a guy like Bryson must watch when he was on tour. Sure, he's kind of a dickhead, but with a 3 shot lead everything is still in play with Bryson cause he's a headcase. With Scottie when it's a 3 shot lead, turn off the tournament cause he's gonna just do the right thing into an easy win.
Old 03-13-2023, 10:16 AM   #135
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

IMO the issue isn't that Scheffler is boring, but more that none of the big names played well this week. The field just crumbled around him on Sunday.

He is on quite a run and it won't last forever. Interesting to see if he can snag another major or two this year.
Old 03-14-2023, 02:46 PM   #136
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
The United States Golf Association and the R&A are proposing a new rule that would allow tours and tournaments the option to require elite men's players to use a golf ball that will be tested under modified launch conditions to curtail how far it is hit.

The new rules, which will not affect the types of balls that recreational players can buy, would take effect in January 2026 if adopted. The governing bodies will receive feedback from manufacturers and others until Aug. 14.

The governing bodies said the proposed rule changes would reduce hitting distances by about 14 to 15 yards on average for the longest hitters with the highest clubhead speeds.

https://www.espn.com/golf/story/_/id...-elite-players
Old 03-15-2023, 10:03 AM   #137
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
There is a lot of backlash on this. I wonder if it will go through.

I can see liv seeing this as an opportunity to differentiate themselves (if they are still around) and keep allowing the current balls as it seems they could opt to and stay withing the rules of golf.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2023, 04:36 AM   #138
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Old 03-18-2023, 10:40 AM   #139
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
There is a lot of backlash on this. I wonder if it will go through.
What's the point of this? What is broken that needs to be fixed? And isn't it unfairly punishing those players that can generate higher clubhead speed?

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2023, 09:39 AM   #140
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

I came across the Liv coverage on game as I was flipping thru channels, and this really looks like an awful product.

Looks like very few of the players are taking this seriously. Maybe if they show up to the Masters and fair terribly a few of them might wake up. But I doubt it.