Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-02-2023, 12:14 PM   #4941
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
So I watched Black Panther 2 now that it hit Disney+.. I want to be nice here, I want to be.

I understand they were put into a difficult situation given everything, I thought the movie did an amazing job of paying tribute to Boseman and his character. But this movie was not good. Like.. so not good, it was bad. I have to admit, it was a bad movie. I was rooting for it, I very much enjoyed the first one, it is one of my favourite Marvel movies, but this was just so far off the mark for me.

I'll spoiler my specific thoughts for those who haven't watched it yet:

Spoiler!

Overall I'd give it a 3/10 and put it among the worst Marvel movies made, there were some good action scenes, some of the visuals were pleasing and Namor was really well done. The tributes to Boseman/T'challa were a 10/10.
One thing that I think is becoming tougher with Marvel Universe is you need to watch everything now.

Up until Infinity War it was better to have watched everything, but the movies themselves still stood on their own if you hadn't watched every movie or tv series.

More and more now I feel like you need to watch the movies and TV series in the right order for things to make sense. Dr Strange wouldn't make sense if you don't watch Wandavision. With a multiverse and the next Ant Man movie I feel like that's going to be even more the case if you haven't watched Loki.

Which I think makes sense for Disney in a world where they need people to buy Disney+, but it does make the barrier to entry on these things tougher and makes their quality as stand alone pieces of work harder to judge.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 12:38 PM   #4942
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Knowing what you normally work on, that is...pretty damning.
LOL. Very true.

I just never cared for Arrow and all of those shows that spun out of it. mainly I hated that Arrow dude. Such and obnoxious ass.

Yes, Superman & Lois has been renewed for another season. Word came from on high on Tuesday.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 10:25 AM   #4943
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1624091144945803271
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:30 PM   #4944
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Feels like the DCU is taking the concept of Spiderman No Way Home and bringing it to another level.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1624907962987982848

Last edited by sureLoss; 02-12-2023 at 04:34 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 04:47 PM   #4945
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is this more Crisis or more Flashpoint?
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #4946
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Is this more Crisis or more Flashpoint?
As I said in the other thread, it looks like some sort of bastardization of both and all...its the same old trap that they always fall into in trying to cram too much into one movie.

DC's films are basically a 'Roadrunner' cartoon.

They have an ultimate goal and they try different methods to achieve it but seemingly always end up with the same result of catastrophic failure.

That trailer looks good. Not going to lie, but I recall thinking the same thing about 'Batman vs. Superman' and that final product was the cinematic equivalent of a colonoscopy.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2023, 05:59 PM   #4947
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

No I think this is just going to be enough. This is meant to be a soft reboot, which now iwth Gunn is more of a full reboot.

Preserve what's already been done in a different time line, for better or worse, and move on.

A movie that does that, HAS to be epic. And this looks flip ####ing tastically epic.

Just hook that straight to my veins. The Batman music, the reveal, Keaton, omfg. I was a kid again watching this trailer.
Old 02-12-2023, 06:18 PM   #4948
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

My luck this is going to be amazing and then DC will reboot and completely ignore this film
Old 02-12-2023, 07:10 PM   #4949
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's one gigantic ass huge reason for them to ignore this film once it's released, and it unfortunately has nothing to do with its execution on screen.

Best case scenario is that the movie is great, Flash is recast, and there is zero in universe acknowledgment of it. An acceptable compromise would be that Flash dies at the end and the character is shelved from TV and movies long enough to get the stink off.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 02-12-2023 at 07:17 PM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 07:28 PM   #4950
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
My luck this is going to be amazing and then DC will reboot and completely ignore this film
It sounds like they will be relying on this movie pretty heavily to establish the new universe.

My guess is that supergirl, Keaton, and possibly even Ezra Miller will be in the universe going forward. Obviously, they may decide to cut ties with Miller. I do believe that Miller's situation is complex though, and doesn't fit any of the classic abuse scenarios that people are getting cancelled for.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 08:21 PM   #4951
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

The other option is to retire Barry Allen after this movie and bring Wally West into the universe.

You still get a classic Flash character and it is literally a whole new person.
Old 02-12-2023, 08:41 PM   #4952
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Fascinating trailer. If you're familiar with the Flashpoint storyline, there are a lot of touchpoints.

Seems like Keatons batman is essentially going to be Thomas Wayne. Kara is taking the place of Clark in the alternate timeline. But instead of being overwhelmed by her powers and murdering a bunch of soldiers then flying away, it looks like she joins the team? With Zod showing up as a throwback to Man of Steel, I wonder if the mysterious open pod from the Kryptonian ship is Kara afterall.

Also in Flashpoint, Barry loses his powers and with the help of Thomas Wayne gets them back by trying to recreate how he got them in the first place. It kind of looks like in this, they use Keatons help to power up alternate timeline Barry.

Some pretty crazy reveals in there!

Here's hoping there's a crazy Amazonian vs Atlantean war too!
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:39 PM   #4953
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
The other option is to retire Barry Allen after this movie and bring Wally West into the universe.

You still get a classic Flash character and it is literally a whole new person.
Probably the best option. Then if things do blow over with Miller, you can bring him back or just use him in a very limited capacity for small parts in the Wally West movies.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:42 PM   #4954
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

God I hope the cgi isn’t finished because that trailer had Scorpion King vibes.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 09:51 PM   #4955
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
God I hope the cgi isn’t finished because that trailer had Scorpion King vibes.
Scorpion King? Its least at 'Steppenwolf' levels...

Maybe they can CGI Miller a moustache?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 03:33 AM   #4956
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
As I said in the other thread, it looks like some sort of bastardization of both and all...its the same old trap that they always fall into in trying to cram too much into one movie.

DC's films are basically a 'Roadrunner' cartoon.

They have an ultimate goal and they try different methods to achieve it but seemingly always end up with the same result of catastrophic failure.

That trailer looks good. Not going to lie, but I recall thinking the same thing about 'Batman vs. Superman' and that final product was the cinematic equivalent of a colonoscopy.
The difference is this movie is supposed to be incredible

It tested higher than any DC movie ever or something, even james Gunn was hyping it up as one of best super hero films hes ever seen, and if anything he would want to be lowering expectations, this and aquaman he has nothing to do with, if they arent good he still has a fresh start after that, by praising it months ahead of release, hes tying his DC to it in peoples eyes, which I dont see him doing unless it's actually great,
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 07:32 AM   #4957
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man. The first DC trailer that has me interested since Man of Steel, and the star is an asshat.
Old 02-13-2023, 07:50 AM   #4958
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
The difference is this movie is supposed to be incredible

It tested higher than any DC movie ever or something, even james Gunn was hyping it up as one of best super hero films hes ever seen, and if anything he would want to be lowering expectations, this and aquaman he has nothing to do with, if they arent good he still has a fresh start after that, by praising it months ahead of release, hes tying his DC to it in peoples eyes, which I dont see him doing unless it's actually great,
Why would he want to lower expectations? Discovery is bleeding money since the acquisition and been gutting DC. They need a win badly. Very badly. He needs to hype big time to restore fan confidence in their product. Not even just to the fans/movie goers but to investors and decision makers internally. If this movie bombs, they might be slashing budgets for his future projects that he just announced like 2 weeks ago.

And this isn't some made for TV movie they can absorb a write off for. This is a $200m tentpole. They need this to succeed in the worst way.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2023, 09:53 AM   #4959
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 02-13-2023, 10:13 AM   #4960
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadal Fan View Post
Damn, I hear Keaton's Batman voice and then I get annoyed at how awful Bale's Batman voice was.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote