Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-29-2023, 11:20 PM   #4381
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
Do you have a region in mind? On itasoftware you can put in any number of airports, and they have a tool to search airports by radius.

So you can search a one way from say every airport in Western Europe to Calgary

Nothing specifically, but noticed some one-way flights to Europe or US are cheaper than others, like to Phoenix during Spring Break isn’t bad, but return is quite a bit more than double. So, if we’re going to travel around anyway, then might look at leaving from another city. Entering all of the major airports into ITA Matrix might work though.

We also found that traveling around Europe it was a bit of a waste to go back to our arrival city. It would have been better in retrospect to find another place to fly out of, that didn’t add to the price, so we could see more places.

Are there any cities that are generally cheaper to fly to Calgary from than others?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:26 AM   #4382
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
So it’s super easy enough to search for one-way trips *from* Calgary and look for cheap destinations, but if you’re interested in doing a return from another city, is there a resource available to find where the cheapest flight *to* Calgary would from? The price from / to Calgary don’t always directly correlate.
Try this search on Kiwi.com

https://www.kiwi.com/en/search/resul...5-31/no-return

Click on the departure date box and then click on a month to search the entire month.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 02:55 PM   #4383
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

What are you guys using for phone service in Mexico these days? Is a sim swap worthwhile? I’ll be there for a week, and not sure if want to pay $15/day in roaming charges.
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 02:57 PM   #4384
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
What are you guys using for phone service in Mexico these days? Is a sim swap worthwhile? I’ll be there for a week, and not sure if want to pay $15/day in roaming charges.
If just data an e-sim on Airalo is $8 USD for 1 GB for a week or $15 usd for 2 GB for 15 days.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2023, 03:46 PM   #4385
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
If just data an e-sim on Airalo is $8 USD for 1 GB for a week or $15 usd for 2 GB for 15 days.
That might be what finally gets me to upgrade phones - the savings there with e-sim is pretty significant...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:04 PM   #4386
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

How about those of us who have older iPhones without eSims?
Old 02-02-2023, 11:07 PM   #4387
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironhorse View Post
Telcel is the provider you want to go with in Mexico. It's somewhat expensive to order their sim card ahead of time (on say, Amazon). But if you buy one in Mexico they're very cheap ($10-$15 CAD).

The problem with Airalo in Mexico is that Airalo is using Movistar / AT&T as their provider. They're not known to have great coverage.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 03:27 PM   #4388
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do we know if WestJet will continue with the Calgary - Amsterdam offering? I believe it was only seasonal and I’m not seeing flights into spring/summer yet.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:07 PM   #4389
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Do we know if WestJet will continue with the Calgary - Amsterdam offering? I believe it was only seasonal and I’m not seeing flights into spring/summer yet.
They have discontinued the route after March.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 04:38 PM   #4390
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm pretty sure the slots Westjet is using in Amsterdam are only seasonal (not permanent). I don't believe they have access to the airport during the busiest (summer) season.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 05:03 PM   #4391
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyden View Post
Try this search on Kiwi.com

https://www.kiwi.com/en/search/resul...5-31/no-return

Click on the departure date box and then click on a month to search the entire month.
This website has some of the scariest Google reviews I've ever seen.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2023, 11:16 PM   #4392
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I'm pretty sure the slots Westjet is using in Amsterdam are only seasonal (not permanent). I don't believe they have access to the airport during the busiest (summer) season.
That is my understanding as well. Unfortunate, but in some ways irrelevant now as they don’t enough aircraft to service the route without making reductions elsewhere IIRC
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 11:08 AM   #4393
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

That makes sense. Really liked that route, and was planning on taking that to get back into Amsterdam this year and using it as a base. The pricing for that route were great too.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #4394
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That makes sense. Really liked that route, and was planning on taking that to get back into Amsterdam this year and using it as a base. The pricing for that route were great too.
Don’t know how prices compare but keep in mind KLM flies year round to AMS.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 06:29 PM   #4395
stazzy33
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Don’t know how prices compare but keep in mind KLM flies year round to AMS.
They prices don't compare, sadly. The day after the WestJet flights end, KLM's price almost doubles.
stazzy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stazzy33 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 08:41 AM   #4396
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any recommendations on where you guys like to get your Pesos? I’m leaving for Mexico this coming weekend.
Old 02-06-2023, 12:26 PM   #4397
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Calforex has everything you need. Rates slightly better than banks from past experience but is has been a while.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to red sky For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2023, 12:32 PM   #4398
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
Calforex has everything you need. Rates slightly better than banks from past experience but is has been a while.
They really don't.

Calgary (at least a couple months ago) had literally zero pesos including Calforex. This included nearly all banks downtown and in the NW (I tried many including having each bank search on where there may be any available)

If you need to get pesos right now, you need to make an order ahead of time for any chance unless the situation has improved this month.

Heck even YYC did not have pesos.

I had to make my exchanges at the airport in Mexico.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:38 PM   #4399
rotten42
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
They really don't.

Calgary (at least a couple months ago) had literally zero pesos including Calforex. This included nearly all banks downtown and in the NW (I tried many including having each bank search on where there may be any available)

If you need to get pesos right now, you need to make an order ahead of time for any chance unless the situation has improved this month.

Heck even YYC did not have pesos.

I had to make my exchanges at the airport in Mexico.

The shop in Market Mall always has pesos. They are a bit higher price than the Bank but I can get pesos immediately. I've have no problem getting $2000 cdn worth of peso from there. Last time I did this was just before Christmas.
rotten42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2023, 12:40 PM   #4400
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotten42 View Post
The shop in Market Mall always has pesos. They are a bit higher price than the Bank but I can get pesos immediately. I've have no problem getting $2000 cdn worth of peso from there. Last time I did this was just before Christmas.
You are probably why they had zero pesos

Trust me, went to Market Mall and they said all of their locations had zero.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote