Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-15-2022, 08:00 AM   #1161
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimalTates View Post
Did you bother to say click on that link?

I guess it's a mystery we will never know.

But then knowing wouldn’t allow you to plead ignorance.

Woah. Is Curves2000 actually Sean Chu? Can we triangulate the location of these posts to the public parking near city hall?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 09:21 AM   #1162
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 09:33 AM   #1163
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know what the proper term for the guy is and it doesn't really matter. If you're in your mid-30's (or really much above 21-23) and your go to defence is "I thought she was legal", you basically have no defence. That goes doubly for people in positions of power.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 09:34 AM   #1164
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know what the proper term for the guy is and it doesn't really matter. If you're in your mid-30's (or really much above 21-23) and your go to defence is "I thought she was legal", you basically have no defence. That goes doubly for people in positions of power.
Maybe the term for the guy is:

Piece of $hit

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 10:14 AM   #1165
D as in David
First Line Centre

Exp:

TIL I should stop calling Jeffery Epstein a pedophile because he wasn't found guilty of it.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:18 AM   #1166
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie View Post
There are so many injustices in this world, it's so crazy to zero in on a creep getting +/- 20% too much or too little public scorn as your cause du jour.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:20 AM   #1167
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by D as in David View Post
TIL I should stop calling Jeffery Epstein a pedophile because he wasn't found guilty of it.
Hitler never even had his day in court either...not to mention poor ole' Joey Stalin.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 10:25 AM   #1168
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Hitler never even had his day in court either...not to mention poor ole' Joey Stalin.
Godwinned!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2022, 02:46 PM   #1169
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

OJ was found criminally not guilty of murder and besides, the glove didn't fit!
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 09:21 PM   #1170
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

since new years day chestermere and redwood meadows have made YYC council look completely wonderful

https://calgaryherald.com/news/polit...ermere-meeting

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...nsite-councils
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:00 AM   #1171
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe this is not the best thread to ask this question but does anyone know what the process is for having residential parking zones evaluated? Is there a form to fill out somewhere or what do I have to submit and to whom?

There are various changes happening to the program this year and to be honest I am not interested in keeping up with the changes going forward every year and I don't want to have to pay for parking permits. Our street has parking restrictions although they do not appear to be necessary so I would to have that reviewed and hopefully have the restrictions removed.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:05 AM   #1172
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Maybe this is not the best thread to ask this question but does anyone know what the process is for having residential parking zones evaluated? Is there a form to fill out somewhere or what do I have to submit and to whom?

There are various changes happening to the program this year and to be honest I am not interested in keeping up with the changes going forward every year and I don't want to have to pay for parking permits. Our street has parking restrictions although they do not appear to be necessary so I would to have that reviewed and hopefully have the restrictions removed.
I'm not too sure, but I believe you'd have to get a bunch of your neighbours on board to ask the city for a review.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:10 AM   #1173
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I just found out that they changed the rules again, for my condo's zone and size previously anyone renting my condo couldn't get on street parking at all. Which hurt my ability to rent it since it's a large 2 bedroom so I'd usually get a young couple or 2 singles typically with 2 cars.

I guess for 2023 now residents can apply for a residential permit for $100 a month, though from what I understand there's no limit on the permits so there's no guarantee that you'll have a spot even if you buy one? That doesn't seem like a good idea, though not sure how else you could do it.

I'm also not clear if the permits are available to renters since when I went into the website to see what it looked like to buy one the documentation options all seemed to imply that the owner was applying, I guess I'll have to call them to find out unless someone happens to know for sure.
Old 01-26-2023, 11:10 AM   #1174
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I'm not too sure, but I believe you'd have to get a bunch of your neighbours on board to ask the city for a review.
That much I assumed and isn't a problem because I know that a number of my neighbors have no issue with parking and would support getting rid of permits. I'm just not sure what we do next.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:33 AM   #1175
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I just found out that they changed the rules again, for my condo's zone and size previously anyone renting my condo couldn't get on street parking at all. Which hurt my ability to rent it since it's a large 2 bedroom so I'd usually get a young couple or 2 singles typically with 2 cars.

I guess for 2023 now residents can apply for a residential permit for $100 a month, though from what I understand there's no limit on the permits so there's no guarantee that you'll have a spot even if you buy one? That doesn't seem like a good idea, though not sure how else you could do it.

I'm also not clear if the permits are available to renters since when I went into the website to see what it looked like to buy one the documentation options all seemed to imply that the owner was applying, I guess I'll have to call them to find out unless someone happens to know for sure.
It's the city declaring war on renters and low income people. Although, let's be honest, city hall doesn't really consider low income earners people at all. Undesirables may be a better term.

The prices are insane and are only going to further increase the disparity in our city. It's going to drive people out of the inner city and into the suburbs because it'll be the only place left they can afford to live. This will only further cause decay to our already struggling transit systems.

Not to mention instead of raising revenues from the most fortunate and wealthy calgarians, the burden will now be on people who live in multifamily dwellings, low income families and the elderly who live in their inner city century homes.

We truly have a complete garbage city council. They don't get enough attention for the awful, awful job they're doing. If it weren't for Kenney/Smith face planting so badly all the time, I'd say they're far and away the most incompetent level of government we deal with.

I mean, I'm sure when the councillors were accepting their bribes from the various interest groups who support this, they reminded them to put out a bunch of BS statements that this is all about encouraging transit and benefitting our already overstuffed side streets but it's pretty clear that's all complete bull####. This is about increasing revenues by ####ing over people who have no means to fight back and have little to no political clout.

The real winners here are the builders, fossil fuel companies, insurance companies and car manufacturers/dealerships because this is going to kill transit.

This could probably be cross posted into the meth thread because they are intrinsically linked.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 01-26-2023 at 11:35 AM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:38 AM   #1176
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://calgarysun.com/opinion/colum...enshi-politics

Interesting read.

I wonder if the tiger can change it's spots.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2023, 11:39 AM   #1177
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post

You can only get one "Market Permit" per dwelling unit.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 11:43 AM   #1178
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
You can only get one "Market Permit" per dwelling unit.
But does that have to be the owner (I don't have one)? Or can it be a resident (i.e. they show a lease agreement)?
Old 01-26-2023, 11:49 AM   #1179
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Residents. EDIT: I think you could get one, as owner, but then your tenant can't.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2023, 03:23 PM   #1180
kevman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
It's the city declaring war on renters and low income people. Although, let's be honest, city hall doesn't really consider low income earners people at all. Undesirables may be a better term.

The prices are insane and are only going to further increase the disparity in our city. It's going to drive people out of the inner city and into the suburbs because it'll be the only place left they can afford to live. This will only further cause decay to our already struggling transit systems.

Not to mention instead of raising revenues from the most fortunate and wealthy calgarians, the burden will now be on people who live in multifamily dwellings, low income families and the elderly who live in their inner city century homes.

We truly have a complete garbage city council. They don't get enough attention for the awful, awful job they're doing. If it weren't for Kenney/Smith face planting so badly all the time, I'd say they're far and away the most incompetent level of government we deal with.

I mean, I'm sure when the councillors were accepting their bribes from the various interest groups who support this, they reminded them to put out a bunch of BS statements that this is all about encouraging transit and benefitting our already overstuffed side streets but it's pretty clear that's all complete bull####. This is about increasing revenues by ####ing over people who have no means to fight back and have little to no political clout.

The real winners here are the builders, fossil fuel companies, insurance companies and car manufacturers/dealerships because this is going to kill transit.

This could probably be cross posted into the meth thread because they are intrinsically linked.
I don't know if I saw it as aggressively as you but I agree, the prices are insane. Up to $250/month to park a vehicle at your residence is significant.

We're in a single family home in a parking controlled area so we're lukcy to have appropriate on site parking for our vehicles. (Which I guess furthers your point that those that can afford a place with parking are not being penalized.) That said, we're not thrilled about needing to pay for visitor passes. Honestly, we use our visitor pass a few times a year. For the cost, we're better off offering to reimburse our guests if they get ticketed than paying for visitor passes that are hardly used.

On the plus side, after all of the vehicles belonging to our neighbors are off the front street, our visitors will no longer have a hard time finding parking.
kevman is offline   Reply With Quote