Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-25-2023, 01:55 PM   #8961
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Lol it's an obsession on this board. Trust me, no other message board has multiple multi-thousand post threads dating back years and years dedicated to obsessively trying to dunk over a rival team -- and like not even towards anyone in particular, cause it's just 99% Flames fans here finding new ways to say "Edmonton is bad" and collecting 'Thanks' for it.

It was funny at first but it's to the point of being weird now.
Humour =/= obsession

Maybe when you figure that out, you'll be able to understand the beauty and genius that is the E=NG thread
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:24 PM   #8962
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Vancouver will want a draft pick for him, whomever offers the highest one.

Phillips has no trade value per se. And, in any event, his value is not better than what would result from a potential bidding war.
I dont know about the draft picks

I do think thats what schenn goes for, but rutherford has said they want young players

Schenn would be a great pickup though, hes a 3rd pairing guy who can play penalty kill, but if hes paired with a dynamic partner, here he has Hughes, he doesnt look out of place and he can cover when hughes is up in rush quite well

Hes a poor mans tanev with more physicality and not as great a breakout pass
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:30 PM   #8963
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

The Flames front office has been big on adding 3rd pair depth and 4th line players at the deadline, but it never works. Wasting assets to acquire replacement level players never moves the needle, and sets the team back at the draft as well.

Do what Colorado did last deadline. Acquire top six forwards (Lekkhonen) or top 4 D (Manson) or don't bother. Impact guys only. No more Ryan Carpenters.

Sent from my SM-G998W using Tapatalk
Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:14 PM   #8964
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Edmonton is no good
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 05:33 PM   #8965
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post
The Flames front office has been big on adding 3rd pair depth and 4th line players at the deadline, but it never works. Wasting assets to acquire replacement level players never moves the needle, and sets the team back at the draft as well.

Do what Colorado did last deadline. Acquire top six forwards (Lekkhonen) or top 4 D (Manson) or don't bother. Impact guys only. No more Ryan Carpenters.

Slight difference being that Colorado was a lights-out contender last year and going for it made sense. The Flames are not that.

If the team is going to spend early-round picks (hopefully not 2023), I'd rather the team go after affordable players with term, like the Toffoli deal. Or target players you have a hope to re-sign, like the Bruins and Lindholm.
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:44 PM   #8966
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey-and_stuff View Post

They acquired a 1st line RW literally a year ago.

I am a proponent of going all in, but not with the goaltending in the state it’s in.

Not unless an injury gives Wolf a shot and he manages to put up a .920+ save percentage.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 05:50 PM   #8967
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe Marky is reverse Marky this year.

Bad regular season, then goes all Flawless Victory come playoff time!
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 06:09 PM   #8968
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Maybe Marky is reverse Marky this year.

Bad regular season, then goes all Flawless Victory come playoff time!
If they can get him going... For all the griping about Sutter playing Markstrom that is why he is doing it. Markstrom has a very high ceiling. Too bad fans have zero patience.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:10 PM   #8969
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
They acquired a 1st line RW literally a year ago.

I am a proponent of going all in, but not with the goaltending in the state it’s in.

Not unless an injury gives Wolf a shot and he manages to put up a .920+ save percentage.
You can from context lump in the Toffoli deal with what I said in my original post. Going all in is fine if you're getting top of the lineup players.

My beef with the Flames is how they fritter away draft picks on bottom of the lineup players who contribute nothing and leave you with less assets than you had.

More Toffoli trades, no more Fantenbergs or Carpenters

Hockey-and_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:24 PM   #8970
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Part of the deal with Trade Deadline is that teams overpay for depth players. Nature of the beast. Supply and demand.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 06:29 PM   #8971
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

So we just need someone to overpay for Lucic. He’s a second line player, and would look great in the Bruins reunion run
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 06:34 PM   #8972
Radio
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Lol it's an obsession on this board. Trust me, no other message board has multiple multi-thousand post threads dating back years and years dedicated to obsessively trying to dunk over a rival team -- and like not even towards anyone in particular, cause it's just 99% Flames fans here finding new ways to say Edmonton is No Good and collecting 'Thanks' for it.

It was funny at first but it's to the point of being weird now.
You're doing it wrong, I fixed your post.
Old 01-25-2023, 06:35 PM   #8973
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
He'll be going to Europe.
I'd be surprised if he doesn't command somewhere in the 400-500 range on a two-way blended deal with another team. He might go to Europe eventually but not yet.

Czarnik is making 450 in Grand Rapids this year and next. And then there are guys like Dennis Gilbert getting NHL money in the A.

I could honestly see him sticking around to replace Sutter as Wranglers captain. He's a positive presence within the organization. But it's far too early for Europe talk given his age and how productive he is down there.

Last edited by TheScorpion; 01-25-2023 at 06:43 PM.
TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 07:42 PM   #8974
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sharks announce a trade: <br><br>Matt Nieto and Ryan Merkley to Colorado for Martin Kaut and Jacob MacDonald</p>&mdash; Corey Masisak (@cmasisak22) <a href="https://twitter.com/cmasisak22/status/1618433766871138304?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 26, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 07:43 PM   #8975
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well that failed...

Colorado and the sharks have made a trade

Sharks announce a trade:

Matt Nieto and Ryan Merkley to Colorado for Martin Kaut and Jacob MacDonald
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 08:23 PM   #8976
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I'd be surprised if he doesn't command somewhere in the 400-500 range on a two-way blended deal with another team. He might go to Europe eventually but not yet.

Czarnik is making 450 in Grand Rapids this year and next. And then there are guys like Dennis Gilbert getting NHL money in the A.

I could honestly see him sticking around to replace Sutter as Wranglers captain. He's a positive presence within the organization. But it's far too early for Europe talk given his age and how productive he is down there.
I bet Phillips would tear it up playing in Europe - and the travel is way preferable to riding the bus in the A.
GreenLantern2814 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:26 PM   #8977
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
I bet Phillips would tear it up playing in Europe - and the travel is way preferable to riding the bus in the A.
The Wranglers actually fly everywhere. It's a little different out east but you're looking at 15-hour bus rides in the Pacific. Not feasible at all.

I think he could make his way to Europe someday but I don't think he's there yet. My guess is Seattle to reunite with Dave Lowry from Victoria.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:38 PM   #8978
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneyhands23 View Post
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">sharks announce a trade: <br><br>matt nieto and ryan merkley to colorado for martin kaut and jacob macdonald</p>&mdash; corey masisak (@cmasisak22) <a href="https://twitter.com/cmasisak22/status/1618433766871138304?ref_src=twsrc%5etfw">january 26, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
https://twitter.com/user/status/1618433766871138304

That sounds like a steal for Colorado at first glance but I’ll need to look up Jacob Macdonald
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 08:56 PM   #8979
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post

Unless Phillips gives up his dream of playing in the NHL, he isn’t resigning with Calgary, absent a massive AHL salary.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 09:32 PM   #8980
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
https://twitter.com/user/status/1618433766871138304

That sounds like a steal for Colorado at first glance but I’ll need to look up Jacob Macdonald
My favorite player in this deal is Martin Kaut. He's a first-rounder, has size (6'2") and can play a hard-nosed style. He never gets quality minutes when he's up with the Avs, and he's a bit buried in that organization, but he could develop into a quality middle-six player IMO (more likely suited for the third line). I never liked Merkley-he's one of those one-dimensional, fly-by-night defensemen that never last in the NHL.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote