Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2023, 08:26 PM   #5581
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendone View Post
When skynet becomes self aware it will realize it doesn’t need to do anything. We got this.
This is why the Robots haven't yet arisen and overthrown society...they're waiting.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2023, 08:29 PM   #5582
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
This is why the Robots haven't yet arisen and overthrown society...they're waiting.

The chatbots will take out the gullible first.

“Yes, you were right to pleasure yourself with grainy mustard. Do not seek medical attention”.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 11:24 PM   #5583
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

I despise when people use the "I have OCD when it comes to X" as it's a slap in the face to those with actual OCD, so I won't say that. But I tend to get irrationally annoyed at businesses that leave "open" signs on all night.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2023, 11:41 PM   #5584
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I despise when people use the "I have OCD when it comes to X" as it's a slap in the face to those with actual OCD, so I won't say that. But I tend to get irrationally annoyed at businesses that leave "open" signs on all night.
You don’t like 24hr businesses?
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 12:04 PM   #5585
mrkajz44
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
There's a coffee shop I drive past on the way to work each morning and on their open sign they display their hours. The first digit of the first day has been blinking for about two weeks now, and it just bugs me. Looks like someone put it on edit mode and never changed it back.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:16 PM   #5586
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
You don’t like 24hr businesses?
I think you, and everyone else, understood what he meant.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 12:17 PM   #5587
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I missed the tipping discussion here because frankly, I don't care one way or the other, but I do have to ask after seeing it come up on reddit again today.

Why do people get so upset if a machine has a tip option? If you don't like it just press 0 and move on with your day
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 12:22 PM   #5588
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
I missed the tipping discussion here because frankly, I don't care one way or the other, but I do have to ask after seeing it come up on reddit again today.

Why do people get so upset if a machine has a tip option? If you don't like it just press 0 and move on with your day
It’s a societal pressure / insinuation thing that makes the customer the judge and jury as to whether or not an employee gets paid more or less.

I bet some people feel like that role should be the business owner of said employee, rather than making society writ large feel guilty about not tipping. So there’s merit as to why it’s annoying. The employee who just serves you gets to find out you don’t think their work is worth paying for, pretty brutal.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:24 PM   #5589
pseudoreality
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

A lot of people think that you are a terrible person and are contributing to poverty if you don't tip. Also, there is an implication that you might get substandard service or your food tampered with if you don't tip.

Tipping is in a weird place, where most people think that a tipping culture/economy is wrong, but also think you are a bad person if you don't tip.
pseudoreality is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pseudoreality For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:41 PM   #5590
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still don't understand it, but appreciate the replies either way. Thanks guys
Old 01-25-2023, 02:36 PM   #5591
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Still don't understand it, but appreciate the replies either way. Thanks guys
You don’t understand societal norms and pressures to do things?

Really?
Old 01-25-2023, 02:37 PM   #5592
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
You don’t understand societal norms and pressures to do things?

Really?
In this scenario? No, it seems silly to me
Old 01-25-2023, 02:41 PM   #5593
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What would servers need to be paid to eliminate tipping? And are restaurants run so much differently than any other businesses that they can’t pay the same as other brick & mortar establishments?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:53 PM   #5594
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
In this scenario? No, it seems silly to me
Is this like a “I don’t care what others think of me” type thing? My dad is like that, good quality. I admire it.
Old 01-25-2023, 02:57 PM   #5595
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Is this like a “I don’t care what others think of me” type thing? My dad is like that, good quality. I admire it.
I'm sure that's part of it, haha. But what I meant wasn't peoples problem with tipping in general, just specifically getting upset when the machine has a tip option. I see it as a completely optional step, that nobody other than you or the cashier knows the result of, and that person is going to forget you the second you walk out of the store.

I've never given it a second thought, so found it interesting that I see it being brought up quite often, that's all.

If the guy at Subway starts yelling "Hey everyone! This guy didn't tip!" then I'd understand it a bit more
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 03:01 PM   #5596
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm sure that's part of it, haha. But what I meant wasn't peoples problem with tipping in general, just specifically getting upset when the machine has a tip option. I see it as a completely optional step, that nobody other than you or the cashier knows the result of, and that person is going to forget you the second you walk out of the store.

I've never given it a second thought, so found it interesting that I see it being brought up quite often, that's all.

If the guy at Subway starts yelling "Hey everyone! This guy didn't tip!" then I'd understand it a bit more

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 04:50 PM   #5597
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
What would servers need to be paid to eliminate tipping? And are restaurants run so much differently than any other businesses that they can’t pay the same as other brick & mortar establishments?
The most ironic part is usually the people who hate tipping correlate to lower tippers (self proclaimed in the thread) , then ask for the staff to be paid a higher wage and just eliminating tipping .

Which will just see all menu prices raise 15-20% to cover the extra salaries , meaning the lower tippers actually pay more , and the good tippers will pay less and actually come out better financially, however with most likely worst service which will annoy them also, so both sides will end up annoyed. And/or the restaurants will claim prices are up to pay servers , and pocket more profit while sticking it to the employees.

Unless the proposal is the ensure all employees in service industries make less overall , which seems weird for one of the few industries unskilled (relatively) and younger workers can make good money
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:54 PM   #5598
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:

Weirdly I would actually get a kick out of that, and then might tip them for being funny.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 05:20 PM   #5599
you&me
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
The most ironic part is usually the people who hate tipping correlate to lower tippers (self proclaimed in the thread) , then ask for the staff to be paid a higher wage and just eliminating tipping .

Which will just see all menu prices raise 15-20% to cover the extra salaries , meaning the lower tippers actually pay more , and the good tippers will pay less and actually come out better financially, however with most likely worst service which will annoy them also, so both sides will end up annoyed. And/or the restaurants will claim prices are up to pay servers , and pocket more profit while sticking it to the employees.

Unless the proposal is the ensure all employees in service industries make less overall , which seems weird for one of the few industries unskilled (relatively) and younger workers can make good money
I was thinking about this when the topic came up earlier and just now have time to address a thought I had - Would menu prices really need to increase 15-20% for a restaurant to pay their staff better?

Simple example - say a server has 4 tables, each with 2 people, with each person having an appy, a main and a drink and each table turns once an hour (to make it easy).

In that case, the restaurant doesn't need to raise their prices by 20% to pay the server a living wage. Adding 50 cents to each menu item would earn the server an additional $12 per hour. The difference between minimum wage ($15) and living wage ($22) in Calgary is $7/hr... The remaining $5 per hour can be pooled and distributed to the rest of the staff...

Let's be even more generous... Can't I just pay an extra 50 cents for my beer (~5%), dollar for my appy (~5%) and $2 for my entree (~5%) and call it a day? Those prices, applied to the above 4 table scenario, sees a server earning an additional $28/hr. Pool it and carve it up, and I don't see how servers and the rest of the staff could be well above living wage.

Edit - in the example above, each table pays an extra $7. Using the same numbers, each table's bill come in at $120... If we use a 20% tip instead, it means each table pays an extra $24 and the server with 4 tables, gets an extra $96/hr!

Super simple calculations - and I have zero industry experience - but am I that far off?

Last edited by you&me; 01-25-2023 at 05:34 PM.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 05:37 PM   #5600
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

If tips are currently 15% of bills and you want to keep the same level of total compensation , prices have to raise the exact same amount and all that extra revenue goes directly to the same people it was before

Unless you think the staff is overpaid and deserves less total compensation. In which case , correct they don’t need to raise prices but it means less $$ for the staff. But these are actually jobs that can be used to support a family , etc for the under skilled and young . More then just living wage .

Last edited by Jason14h; 01-25-2023 at 05:41 PM.
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote