Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2023, 01:25 PM   #181
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
How much harder do you imagine it to be to stop using hard drugs if you live on the street vs have a stable place to rest your head

Housing comes first, addiction comes second
If that were the case, why are people starting out in a house and ending up on the streets? It goes addiction then homelessness; not the other way around.

And for the love of peter12, I don't want them to be on the street. They need to be in an institution to get help and get clean. This whole entire topic is about not wanting junkies on the street and wanting to find a way to get them off and help them. How can that be lost on you?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:29 PM   #182
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
If that were the case, why are people starting out in a house and ending up on the streets? It goes addiction then homelessness; not the other way around.

And for the love of peter12, I don't want them to be on the street. They need to be in an institution to get help and get clean. This whole entire topic is about not wanting junkies on the street and wanting to find a way to get them off and help them. How can that be lost on you?
That isn't always the case though! Drug use can increase when you're homeless because it's how you cope.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:31 PM   #183
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Step 0 - Mandatory 20-year minimum sentence for dealing schedule 1 drugs. 40-years for distribution. Hard ass prison labor with the rapists and peodphiles.
Well...thats 'War on Drugs' policy that has been conclusively proven to be, at best, 100% completely ineffective and considerably counter-productive.

One of the heaviest-handed Law Enforcement nations on the face of the Earth tried it for decades and not only lost but seems to have more than exacerbated the problem.

One major reason is because the skill-set required to sell drugs.

Its actually not that hard, almost any idiot can do it and the world is chock full o' idiots. The drugs almost sell themselves.

You incarcerate one idiot for selling drugs and 3 more pop up to take his place while you've subsequently ruined that person's family and ability to operate within society and the laundry list of knock-on effects just goes on and on and on.

Heavy-handed sentencing is essentially just playing whack-a-mole.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:32 PM   #184
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
That isn't always the case though! Drug use can increase when you're homeless because it's how you cope.
Yeah, I suppose it's called a downward spiral for a reason.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:36 PM   #185
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dont understand the premise of your question. They are homeless because they cant afford their rent/mortgage anymore due to drug addiction. Kicking an addiction is exponentially harder while homeless
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:37 PM   #186
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Well...thats 'War on Drugs' policy that has been conclusively proven to be, at best, 100% completely ineffective and considerably counter-productive.

One of the heaviest-handed Law Enforcement nations on the face of the Earth tried it for decades and not only lost but seems to have more than exacerbated the problem.

One major reason is because the skill-set required to sell drugs.

Its actually not that hard, almost any idiot can do it and the world is chock full o' idiots. The drugs almost sell themselves.

You incarcerate one idiot for selling drugs and 3 more pop up to take his place while you've subsequently ruined that person's family and ability to operate within society and the laundry list of knock-on effects just goes on and on and on.

Heavy-handed sentencing is essentially just playing whack-a-mole.
So we shoot them. (I kid).

I am all for the decriminalizing drugs for possession. Nobody should go to jail for being sad or desperate enough to use for themselves. But profiteering on other people's suffering and destruction is beyond evil. I had no moral issue selling someone weed. I couldn't imagine selling someone something I know is destroying their life.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.

Last edited by Traditional_Ale; 01-25-2023 at 01:40 PM.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 01:44 PM   #187
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
seriously. This is how you want to solve the problem with crime? Even petty crime?
I'm too disgusted with your idea to actually sit here and formulate a long response. forget helping people, let's just whip them?

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't your dream punishment also combined with prison? And isn't it also not given to people over 50 due to the severity of the torture?
Also, if caning is so awesome, why don't they cane women?

A lot of the people who are drugged out and have these type of serious addictions go through the legal system with massive rap sheets. Very very violent offenses that have serious consequences for the victims and their families.

The issue with a lot of people, and some we see with the post's here, is that well, it's somebody else's problem. This isn't great but hopefully these people get the help they deserve.

The people in charge, being the politicians at all levels, the courts and law enforcement have a duty to keep us safe. It's their responsibility, it's part of their job. A lot of people have just given up but the consequences are real.

My brother is a downtown cop and he can point the scum one by one just driving by. There is Joe Blow, walking around, harassing people. His rap sheet includes murder (pleaded down) assaults ( victim blind) sexual assaults ( teenage girl) (bitten off finger) and on and on and on.

Than we have the usual suspects who push people off LRT platforms who paralyze people https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgar...says-1.4172886

#1 client of the police and court system who's rap sheet is so long, the media doesn't bother printing out the full details for fear it may bring down their internal computer system.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...harge-surfaces

We literally have so many daily victims by the the same people over and over again. What we don't talk about is the fear that a lot of people feel as well without being victims technically. The lack of feeling safe on public transit, walking around, at work, being harassed at work. Fear of going places for day to day life like shopping, appointments etc.

I've said it before and I will say it again, this problem doesn't exist to the same extent in a lot of large cities in other countries. It just doesn't. We've normalized it. Now, if some people need to be made an example of it, than so be it. Get the message across that you don't mess around and lot's of people will fall in line.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to curves2000 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:48 PM   #188
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How much harder do you imagine it to be to stop using hard drugs if you live on the street vs have a stable place to rest your head

Housing comes first, addiction comes second
Is the success rate for getting clean from addiction outside of a specialized medical treatment facility high enough though? I don’t think providing housing and addiction counseling separately is strong enough for the needs of the majority. Sure it’s helpful for a certain amount of people but I don’t see it working for the majority.

For some, being removed from their support group is a negative but with most, being removed from their toxic environment and fellow addicted is what they really need to get clean. Provide the housing after so they can maintain normalcy, not to try to attain it.

There also needs to be just as much focus on services/supports for those that are millimetres away from being homeless or you’re just drying up flood water while the broken pipe is still flowing. Fix the pipe.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 01:49 PM   #189
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I dont understand the premise of your question. They are homeless because they cant afford their rent/mortgage anymore due to drug addiction. Kicking an addiction is exponentially harder while homeless
Yeah, I've explained it super clearly in multiple posts so I'll just leave it with you.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:54 PM   #190
Julio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just in case folks don't know, here is an organization that is working on this issue. They work with partner agencies to house 'vulnerable Calgarians', some (but not all) of whom are dealing with substance issues. Usually, there are other services provided by those partner agencies, depending on the needs of those that are being housed.

https://www.homespace.org/about

Now by no means is this a perfect solution that will result in a utopia. I live across the street from one of their buildings, and for sure there are some challenges. We see EMS quite a bit, and there has been a few issues over the years, usually not with the residents, but with folks that were a part of the residents former lives.

I am posting to let people know that there are agencies trying to get folks 'off the streets', and get them the help they need.
Old 01-25-2023, 01:57 PM   #191
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So we are on the same page, youre saying they once had a home pre addiction, got addicted to drugs and lost their home, so that's proof they dont need housing before addressing addiction? That's my understanding of your point anyways, please feel free to ecludiate me if I'm misinterpreting you

Can you answer the question in the original post that you quoted, ie how much harder would it be to get sober while homeless vs having a place to live

I dont get what's so hard to understand about the fact that trying to get clean when you live underneath a bridge by the river is exponentially harder than trying to get sober with a predictable living situation. If our goal is to get people clean,we need to give them a place to live as a baseline before anything else because that lifestyle naturally leads itself towards maintaining the drug addict status quo. If you have nothing to live for, no place to stay, why WOULDNT you just do drugs to numb yourself from your awful existence
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stone hands For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 02:04 PM   #192
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Fear is absolutely a deterrent and to think otherwise runs counter to everything science suggests about what motivates human beings. You need carrots and sticks. Not just one or the other.
Does the fear of incarceration prevent more crimes? I would assume, yes.

Do countries with heavier penalties for individual offences see less crime in that area? I assume, no.

Does a drug addict who is homeless fear incarceration? I doubt it. Do they fear getting beat half-to-death by a cop? probably not while they are on drugs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Probably because many don't like the inevitable answer that any effective solution will require people to be detained in some fashion and removed from these places when conducting this behavior whether that be the police, mental health personnel, addictions treatment personnel . . . whoever. There's no end game solution to these problems that don't have this level of intervention at the very end of the flow chart regardless of how many offshoots and steps we take between.
I don't think detention or restraint is considered unacceptable in most peoples minds; however, I don't think people realize the actual cost of these types of initiatives. As PepsiFree eloquently pointed out, we as a society just implement half measures and expect it to go away.

a lot of people i talk to about this issue want to throw drug addicts in prison or a mental health center with the intent on removing the problem from their view. But the sheer cost of policing, hospitalization, and incarceration is not something a majority of people support (the "tough on crime" crowd and the "no new taxes" crowd go hand-in-hand)

It's probably cheaper as a society to house/supply/treat these individuals. But this is a conversation many people don't want to consider.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
I've said it before and I will say it again, this problem doesn't exist to the same extent in a lot of large cities in other countries. It just doesn't. We've normalized it. Now, if some people need to be made an example of it, than so be it. Get the message across that you don't mess around and lot's of people will fall in line.
name the countries. Many countries have an assortment of programs and other tools that they use to limit the problem outside of "having people fall in line"

Go to Amsterdam and find the homeless people / drug addicts on the street. have they used intimidation tactics?

Last edited by Cappy; 01-25-2023 at 02:08 PM.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 02:36 PM   #193
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curves2000 View Post
A lot of the people who are drugged out and have these type of serious addictions go through the legal system with massive rap sheets. Very very violent offenses that have serious consequences for the victims and their families.

The issue with a lot of people, and some we see with the post's here, is that well, it's somebody else's problem. This isn't great but hopefully these people get the help they deserve.

The people in charge, being the politicians at all levels, the courts and law enforcement have a duty to keep us safe. It's their responsibility, it's part of their job. A lot of people have just given up but the consequences are real.

My brother is a downtown cop and he can point the scum one by one just driving by. There is Joe Blow, walking around, harassing people. His rap sheet includes murder (pleaded down) assaults ( victim blind) sexual assaults ( teenage girl) (bitten off finger) and on and on and on.

Than we have the usual suspects who push people off LRT platforms who paralyze people https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/calgar...says-1.4172886

#1 client of the police and court system who's rap sheet is so long, the media doesn't bother printing out the full details for fear it may bring down their internal computer system.

https://calgaryherald.com/news/crime...harge-surfaces

We literally have so many daily victims by the the same people over and over again. What we don't talk about is the fear that a lot of people feel as well without being victims technically. The lack of feeling safe on public transit, walking around, at work, being harassed at work. Fear of going places for day to day life like shopping, appointments etc.

What cities have you been to? Doesn’t sound like you’ve visited any major cities to be able to make that claim.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:18 PM   #194
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

We all know that drugs is an issue, everywhere. Every country has citizens who have addiction issues and the associated problems with it. Our issue in Canada and the USA is how expansive it is and just how large of a problem it's become. As I have said, we have normalized it.

I am not the expert on policy or specific statistics but in a lot of Asian and Middle Easter culture, drug use and drug abuse and the associated problems are vastly limited.

Cities/countries with very low use and abuse/problems I am aware of include

Tokyo, Japan, Singapore, Zurich, Athens, Thessaloniki, Prague, Frankfurt, Seoul and a lot more.

There are differences to drug use and drug related crime on the street. We know we have an issue with crack and meth etc but we don't have any issue with office workers who do cocaine and proceed to assault ,rape, paralyze people on the street. I don't condone or do drugs but the problems are usually different.

In Japan, the culture of drugs is that they almost ruin you professionally because of the stigma.

In Middle Eastern cultures they will just take justice out on you in the form of a beating and more. You don't have mountains of meth heads running around raping girls and attacking random people on the street.

We have people on the west coast of Canada and the US who literally are leaving their cars unlocked so that they don't need to deal with broken windows cause there is such a high degree of certainty the car will be opened looking for valuables.

I have traveled a lot in my life but the places where the drug addiction and the associated problems are always highest is in Canada and the USA.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:23 PM   #195
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Mountains of meth heads running around raping girls“. Well, I guess you’ve nailed Calgary.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 03:26 PM   #196
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jesus ####ing Christ.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:33 PM   #197
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Couple quick proposals:
Setup a massive Running Man style gameshow or Truman show sized dome?
Similar to Big Brother, they have can either try and get sober or be tempted by "prizes". Thousands of contestants, cameras, staff and challenges.

or

Ultimate Junkie Championship?
City vs City, addiction vs addiction, no genders, no weight classes,
1 VS 1, 5 VS 5, 100 vs 100!

To the death!

Profit?!

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 03:47 PM   #198
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/s...g-use-disorder

Other than the US, we could improve by modelling our programs off of essentially anyone and improve. But, it seems rather clear this is cultural issue and I tend to agree part of that is too much compassion as a society. My teenage daughter has called 911 twice for people overdosing at the train station (commuting to and from school, not 1 am). Whatever we're doing now isn't working. It's hard to get on board with doing more of it. Portugese model, sure. Mexican, German, Yemanese, why not. What we did 25 years ago when I didn't even see the presence of drugs at public places yet alone have to routinely call 911, give it to me. Like I said, pretty much everyone is doing better than where we are today. What's Australia doing? If you slide the scale in that graph above, they seem to have the largest improvement with "drug use disorder" in the last 20 years than most. Agree with OP 100%

Last edited by Leeman4Gilmour; 01-25-2023 at 03:50 PM.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leeman4Gilmour For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2023, 03:51 PM   #199
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

The West Coast, both Canada and the US, is pretty shocking. It definitely is not a universal condition of big cities. It's notably bad in a global context.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2023, 04:13 PM   #200
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
So we are on the same page, youre saying they once had a home pre addiction, got addicted to drugs and lost their home, so that's proof they dont need housing before addressing addiction? That's my understanding of your point anyways, please feel free to ecludiate me if I'm misinterpreting you

Can you answer the question in the original post that you quoted, ie how much harder would it be to get sober while homeless vs having a place to live

I dont get what's so hard to understand about the fact that trying to get clean when you live underneath a bridge by the river is exponentially harder than trying to get sober with a predictable living situation. If our goal is to get people clean,we need to give them a place to live as a baseline before anything else because that lifestyle naturally leads itself towards maintaining the drug addict status quo. If you have nothing to live for, no place to stay, why WOULDNT you just do drugs to numb yourself from your awful existence
Support from family is a major issue too.

I know of a few lawyers who've had major addiction issues. They all ended up broke. They had a career that provided them with counselling and various other programs. They also had family, that if it came down to it, would pay their rent.

Many of the people on the streets come from abusive and/or poor homes. It's also a totally different scenario, if you're, for example, a labourer who misses a few shifts or shows up intoxicated to work. In that scenario, they just boot you out the door.

To comment on your post, just giving addicts a place to live without other support measures in place comes with its own set of problems. Many addicts have severe sanitary, health, and behavioral issues. Just cramming a bunch of people into public housing can result in serious acts of violence, unsanitary conditions, people being preyed upon, etc...So just building housing in small towns that nobody else wants to live in is probably not a viable solution.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote