Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 11:48 AM   #4141
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
i've mentioned this here before - one of my customers knows smith and it's his groin that's 'done'. does it mean that he's too hurt to play... who knows... that's not for me to say.

i still take comfort in the fact that no matter how much the oilers try to cheat the system they will continue to fail as a franchise becuz they are no good!
I know he's had a nagging groin injury for some time but it never prevented him from playing before. It's akin to the Hossa skin rash were it was an issue for years but his salary dropped to $1 million/season was the tipping point for it being too unbearable to play. It's an unfortunate byproduct of the NHL's loose salary cap rules that players like Hossa and Pronger aren't allowed to gracefully retire. Only in the NHL could a player be on LTIR and the NHL's Department of Player Safety payroll at the same time.

https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/ma...%20the%20rules.
Old 01-18-2023, 11:53 AM   #4142
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m excited to see what puts Jack Camp6ell on LTIR next year.
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 11:56 AM   #4143
Sofa GM
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
I’m excited to see what puts Jack Camp6ell on LTIR next year.
It’s going to be mental health, no question. He has already had struggles and would serve the league promoting the importance of mental health and taking the time to preserve your mental health……. All of which is true….
Old 01-18-2023, 12:03 PM   #4144
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by TrentCrimmIndependent; 01-18-2023 at 12:06 PM.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:12 PM   #4145
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mike Smith's issues are the conditioning problems and aches that just come with aging. What this does is set a precedent in the future that being old is a reason to put a player on LTIR.

Definitely not in the spirit of the CBA, but I doubt the players care that much because it just means more teams will pay them into later years knowing they can get away with it, and it is an alternative to having to end their career in the minors in order to still get paid. If the players don't care, then I doubt the league chooses it as a battle to fight either.

I don't like it and think it gives the Oilers an unfair advantage managing their cap, but for anyone holding out hope that the league will crack down on these shenanigans, I wouldn't waste your thoughts on it.
Old 01-18-2023, 12:58 PM   #4146
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just mentioning the original Kane transaction where an original contract was completely ignored to get oilers under the cap but without any repercussions for either team.

I also believe that Rogers needs to get their investment back and hence the urgency to capitalize on Mavi.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:01 PM   #4147
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Otto View Post
Cash strapped and non complaint and one guy retires, getting a job in the Oilers front office after only being there for a year and the other guy is "injured" despite not being injured when we last saw him.

Then Kane comes back and Yamamoto is then put on LTIR to accommodate Kane's salary.".
Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Tell me what Mike Smith's injury is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
It's actually kind of ridiculous but it frustrates me that the Flames couldn't just do something like this with Lucic instead of having to give up 1st to get rid of Monahan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
how is Yamamoto LTIR eligible with a timetable of "later this month"

Oilers are abusing LTIR left, right and center

and when did Smith leave with a career ending injury? he finished the playoffs for them.
Duncan Keith made about $70 million in his career. I’m pretty sure that even when the hawks signed him to his cap circumventing contract they were expecting him not to play for 1.5 million in his last year.

Mike Smith had been dealing with a nagging groin injury for years. He’s been missing time every season since before 2018 due to it. Pretty sure it’s more a quality of life thing at 40 years old. Like klefbom who finished the season and then had to decide if playing through the pain was worth it. Klefbom had a career ending injury. Mike smith just had an injury at the end of his career.

You actually have to have an injury to go on LTIR. That’s why Lucic can’t do it.

Yamamoto has been dealing with concussions. he missed 11 games in November. He got hit hard again and hasn’t been in for the past 3 games already. I’m guessing it’s due to the concussions as to why he’s out again. He wasn’t put on LTIR the first 11 games, or these past couple games because it was actually detrimental to due so. Same reason OK isn’t put on LTIR. There’s zero benefit to doing it right now for the flames. However it may happen at the deadline if the flames trade for a player or two and then they need the space.

LTIR isn’t some magical cheat code. Being in it is a disadvantage.

And not even sure how to answer TrentCrimm question how is Yamamoto LTIR eligible with a timetable of "later this month". What part of that doesn’t make sense?
Old 01-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #4148
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good Lord. If Mike Smith played the last game of the season and didn't suffer a training injury, he can play in NHL games this year. Or retire (and the Oilers take the consequences).

Basically this is an argument that the Oilers had a guy who had a career ending injury and played him anyway.

A "nagging groin injury" isn't LTIR. It's the type of thing that Tanev dresses with every game.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:05 PM   #4149
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
imo Lucic didn't do a solid by waiving for the expansion draft. Whether he waived or did not, he wasn't going to be selected.
Man is that jaded.

Just because it wasn't likely doesn't mean the player didn't step up to help his team.

He took on the risk that he might be claimed however small, and allowed them to protect another player.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2023, 02:07 PM   #4150
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Good Lord. If Mike Smith played the last game of the season and didn't suffer a training injury, he can play in NHL games this year. Or retire (and the Oilers take the consequences).

Basically this is an argument that the Oilers had a guy who had a career ending injury and played him anyway.

A "nagging groin injury" isn't LTIR. It's the type of thing that Tanev dresses with every game.
Well hate to burst your bubble but if Mike smith just retired his cap hit would have just been gone. Would have been better for the team.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:09 PM   #4151
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Legit or not, I'd love to see a more rigorous system for LTIR. The problem is there's not anyone really motivated to advocate for it. The league doesn't really care, and the PA certainly doesn't - more work for everyone. The ony people hurt are the other teams in the division or conference and while other GMs might not like an instance of it, they can't squawk too much because they think they might play that card one day.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:09 PM   #4152
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

FYI there are no consequences for the oilers if smith retired. He just doesn’t get paid.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:11 PM   #4153
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stang View Post
Well hate to burst your bubble but if Mike smith just retired his cap hit would have just been gone. Would have been better for the team.
Except Smith ain't gonna do that because he's not giving up the dough. So he plays along with the charade.

I'd love to see a PI's videos of him doing yardwork or other sports.

Again, you are arguing that the Oilers forced a guy who should have been on LTIR to play last season.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:13 PM   #4154
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Man is that jaded.

Just because it wasn't likely doesn't mean the player didn't step up to help his team.

He took on the risk that he might be claimed however small, and allowed them to protect another player.
Yeah I legitimately can 100% say, without question, there was no chance Lucic was going to be selected when Giordano was available. Lucic may have literally been the least desired player on the Flames in that draft.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:14 PM   #4155
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
FYI there are no consequences for the oilers if smith retired. He just doesn’t get paid.
Exactly. It’s one thing to not understand the rules, but another thing to accuse a team of cheating without understanding the rules
Old 01-18-2023, 02:18 PM   #4156
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Legit or not, I'd love to see a more rigorous system for LTIR. The problem is there's not anyone really motivated to advocate for it. The league doesn't really care, and the PA certainly doesn't - more work for everyone. The ony people hurt are the other teams in the division or conference and while other GMs might not like an instance of it, they can't squawk too much because they think they might play that card one day.
What is the current system for LTIR?

I’m going to guess you don’t know. (Since you don’t know the rules around it)

So how do you even remotely know if it needs to be more rigorous?
Old 01-18-2023, 02:19 PM   #4157
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. It’s one thing to not understand the rules, but another thing to accuse a team of cheating without understanding the rules
WTF are you talking about. I never said what the consequences were - I just didn't look to see if the clawback applied in this case and said if Smith and the Oilers thought he was done, he should just be done, whatever the consequences are.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:20 PM   #4158
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is the current system for LTIR?

I’m going to guess you don’t know. (Since you don’t know the rules around it)

So how do you even remotely know if it needs to be more rigorous?
The current system is they take the teams' word for it. We all looked at this with Kucherov.
Old 01-18-2023, 02:22 PM   #4159
stang
CP's Fraser Crane

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I legitimately can 100% say, without question, there was no chance Lucic was going to be selected when Giordano was available. Lucic may have literally been the least desired player on the Flames in that draft.
He still didn’t have to do that at all. Tre could have sweetened the pot to take him. He did the flames a big favour tbh
Old 01-18-2023, 02:22 PM   #4160
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I legitimately can 100% say, without question, that you missed the point of my reply.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
e=ng , edmonton is no good , no good no good , no good no good no good , not f***ing good enough