Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-12-2023, 03:26 PM   #81
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
My Rule of thumb for watching the Riders is you can always turn the TV off.

If there are any years that they are extra horrible. PVR the games. Check the score before deciding to watch.

Life changing.
You can't if you're writing every ... damn ... game story.

I can't stand watching to write if I know they lose.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 03:29 PM   #82
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Flames fans lack of patience. Unprecedented changing to the core of the team but somehow the slow start out of the gate is unacceptable to some.

Also it drives me nuts how people say they hate the way the team plays. I'd way rather they learn to play this way versus the river hockey they defaulted to against the Oilers last year in the playoffs. Regular season "best line in hockey" is fun, but getting spanked in the playoffs when the line disappears isn't.
Venting about CPers who say that we lack patience.

Let's see about that:
Competed highly and made SCF in '86. Great series but we lost.

Won the cup in '89 and have terrific memories of that.

....years go by....15 of them...

Terrific cup run in '04. Got jobbed and lost, but was an excellent ride.

....years go by....18 of them so far...to this cruddy team...

Are we patient enough for ya?

What a load of horse puckey. Darryl knows a lot about that.
Old 01-12-2023, 03:30 PM   #83
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I miss Gaudreau, the player not the person. He made games fun to watch, creates stuff out of nothing, he can actually hold onto the puck and make plays. Right now, the team is so boring to watch. Sutter has tunnel vision, dead set on his lines...Lucic on the second line as a solution. Dead set on his D pairings. There would be at least a little excitement if he was willing to play the kids. But nope, 30 plus year old 4th liners all day long.

Then there's OT. He's dead set on those pairings too. Backlund/Hanafin/ Tanev....playing defensive so we don't get scored on in the first minute? Hasn't worked. Hub/Kadri are a disaster together for 3 on 3, guaranteed Huby passes to no one and a 2-1 goes the other way and scores. We also have no one that can score in a shootout cept Huberdeau, Anderson has the exact same move. The amount of dumb penalties we take. The amount Sutter starts Markstrom instead of Vladar, when cleary Vladar was better at the time.

For the last 10 years, I've planned my schedule around Flames games so I can watch every game. Tonight, I purposely planned something so I didn't have to watch the game. Huberdeau has been the biggest excitement in the offseason, and biggest disappointment for me so far in season.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 03:35 PM   #84
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Krueger Industrial smoothing could negotiate better with the City of Calgary than CSEC has.

It's a bit frustrating that the so called post Iginla rebuild is done and the result is what looks like a team of grouchy old men. They give off the vibe of the Ducks or Sharks before those teams finally fell apart...Moreso the Sharks with the lack of assets and number of high priced long term contracts on the roster.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 01-12-2023 at 04:41 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 03:38 PM   #85
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Venting about CPers who say that we lack patience.

Let's see about that:
Competed highly and made SCF in '86. Great series but we lost.

Won the cup in '89 and have terrific memories of that.

....years go by....15 of them...

Terrific cup run in '04. Got jobbed and lost, but was an excellent ride.

....years go by....18 of them so far...to this cruddy team...

Are we patient enough for ya?

What a load of horse puckey. Darryl knows a lot about that.
I was talking about THIS YEAR. Sorry the Flames have emotionally scarred you. This version of the team is new to this year after an entire core change. They literally have zero to do with previous renditions.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 03:52 PM   #86
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Fun thread strangely.
My frustrations are:
- Terrible asset management. Focus on building an asset base that allows you to compete for an extended period of time. This team has been asset weak for 30+ years. So it's constantly chasing its tail.
- Related but not willing to re-build. Even the initial re-build was prematurely ended leading to bad deals to open the window sooner. Have the discipline to see it through. I like prospects so a re-build to me is still entertaining
- I would also focus the draft entirely on skill and upside. Sign depth. Draft for skill. Skill gets you franchise changing players like Johnny Gaudreau and Nikita Kucherov. You may draft less NHLers but the ones you do will matter. Home run swings every time. I would ask my scouts if they could imagine a player at the top of the lineup and what skills they have that are elite. If there are no answers to either you don't draft them. That's how you get a guy like Jason Robertson who had elite hands, but awful skating which caused him to drop. Draft for the elite ability.

There are still market inefficiencies that can be taken advantage of in the NHL. The Flames rarely do that. But what is aggravating is when they have - it's worked!

Also get rid of fighting. Its stupid.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 03:53 PM   #87
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I just want to be able to talk about my favourite team with other fans without them whining about the same things I’ve heard since I was 8 years old.
Here's my deal, and it's similar. There are threads about general team direction, trades, drafting, individual players, etc. And that's fine and I get complaints/frustration about the lack of PO success over the years.

My own frustration - I dislike the pollution of GT and PGT with non-in-game stuff (and also the highlighting of individual plays which are clearly aimed at pushing a narrative). And it's often the same things over and over like you say.

Also the notion that one cannot criticize an opinion. Yes, posters are entitled to their opinion. That doesn't mean they are free from pushback, or factual correction.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 03:54 PM   #88
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
And not looking anywhere like a dangerous team.
Old 01-12-2023, 04:04 PM   #89
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

But they have been drafting for skill no? Monahan, Bennett, Gaudreau, Tkachuk...

Jankowski will go down as the worst 1st rounder however...
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:18 PM   #90
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Fun thread strangely.
My frustrations are:
- Terrible asset management. Focus on building an asset base that allows you to compete for an extended period of time. This team has been asset weak for 30+ years. So it's constantly chasing its tail.
- Related but not willing to re-build. Even the initial re-build was prematurely ended leading to bad deals to open the window sooner. Have the discipline to see it through. I like prospects so a re-build to me is still entertaining
- I would also focus the draft entirely on skill and upside. Sign depth. Draft for skill. Skill gets you franchise changing players like Johnny Gaudreau and Nikita Kucherov. You may draft less NHLers but the ones you do will matter. Home run swings every time. I would ask my scouts if they could imagine a player at the top of the lineup and what skills they have that are elite. If there are no answers to either you don't draft them. That's how you get a guy like Jason Robertson who had elite hands, but awful skating which caused him to drop. Draft for the elite ability.

There are still market inefficiencies that can be taken advantage of in the NHL. The Flames rarely do that. But what is aggravating is when they have - it's worked!

Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:23 PM   #91
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
I was talking about THIS YEAR. Sorry the Flames have emotionally scarred you. This version of the team is new to this year after an entire core change. They literally have zero to do with previous renditions.
Mansplaining?

Really? I didn't know that happened. When did that occur?
Old 01-12-2023, 04:28 PM   #92
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
This is exactly where I'm at.
I've admittedly let the degree and depth that I follow the team ebb and flow with the tides of life, but yeah. One Cup in going on 43 years. That's getting pretty close to Leafs territory in the post Expansion era.
Well, if you add 22 years, sure.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:31 PM   #93
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

The pretzels are making me thirsty!
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 04:31 PM   #94
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Fun thread strangely.
My frustrations are:

Agree with every single thing you said here. Especially the draft part.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Aarongavey For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 04:34 PM   #95
Cycling76er
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
####ing 30+ years of ####ing mediocrity. Never good enough to win the cup, never bad enough to get a #1 pick and potential franchise player to greatly improve the team. Just year after year after year of average, mediocre, play. And one finals run 20 years ago just doesn't cut it!
And then you have Chicago, with their franchise players fading into the sunset, are poised to have the highest crack at Bedard. Probably trade Kane for some nice picks as well.

Or Tampa that never seem to falter. Or Vegas...
Cycling76er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:35 PM   #96
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
My Rule of thumb for watching the Riders is you can always turn the TV off.

If there are any years that they are extra horrible. PVR the games. Check the score before deciding to watch.

Life changing.
That’s not Rider pride.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2023, 04:36 PM   #97
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need more cowbell
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:41 PM   #98
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
The issue isn't just the start of this season in a vacuum. It's what this team has shown vs where they are in their competitive cycle.

They really don't have much of a chance to get better over the next few years, aside from hoping one of their non elite prospects really steps up and becomes a driving force (And we dont even give those guys a chance)

We don't have any cap flexibility going forward, so we can't really improve the team going forward in free agency or trades

Everyone knows Kadri, Markstrum, Coleman, Hubby, Backlund, Tanev are going to, on average, decline over the next few years and into the tail end of their contract.

And yet here we are, struggling to try and hold onto the last wildcard spot. And not looking anywhere like a dangerous team.

Sure, if we had better goaltending we would be better. But we still don't look dangerous. If I was an opponent I would love to play the Flames in the playoffs. We don't have a single player who can take over a game.

So were an older, inflexible cap, average to poor farm system team thats struggling to hold a playoff spot

Honestly - If there was a league wide draft for entire teams rosters for a franchise going forward (not one season, this is your new team to build a winner), how many teams would you really take the Flames over given their entire player and cap situation.

Now I suppose the Flames could quickly restock their youth and start completely over if they traded everyone tomorrow and took back horrible contracts, but that isnt going to happen.

So we're kind of stuck in purgatory again, until we slowly decline into a bottom 6-8 team, and start the same cycle for another 10 years.
I wish management and ownership were more open with fans about these things too, that would help IMO.

Today's fans are intelligent and follow everything about the franchise closely. Talk to us about things like the big picture, competitive cycle, drafting philosophy.

I look at my other favourite sports team (Arsenal) and how they've rebuilt the past few years, became the youngest team in their league, got rid of old players with big contracts and asked for patience from fans.
Now they're top of the league and things are coming around full circle. Even if it didn't work, at least we knew what they were trying to do.

Why can't hockey teams have these honest conversations with fans?
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:42 PM   #99
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every time Darryl Sutter mentions what the real fans want, and how he has his walks and talks with them daily. Has anyone even encountered Darryl?
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 04:56 PM   #100
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

I can support a good team on the ice, or a bad team on the ice.

My frustrations as a Flames fan are with three things, primarily.

- BS subjective officiating. I want consistency. The standard for a penalty or a goal should not change except for rule changes.

- Subsidizing arenas for billionaires (and their millionaire employees), especially when the new arenas make things worse for the average fan by having fewer and more expensive seats.

- Blocking Olympic participation. Don't take that away from me, jerks.

We could have a Stanley-Cup dynasty winning team, and NHL officiating and arena subsidies would still rob me of joy. Most teams aren't going to be winners, that's the nature of a 32-team league. The league can't make everyone happy to be backing a winner. But what they can do is treat this those teams and their fans fairly, and not in the "it rains on the enemy too sense", but in the "stop raining crap on all of us" sense.

Last edited by SebC; 01-12-2023 at 05:00 PM.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:

Tags
calgary flames , frustration , opinions , problems , rant