Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2022, 03:01 PM   #7961
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have no idea if Coronato will sign with the Flames or not, but I don't blame any Flames fans for being pessimistic or concerned about it. A little PTSD from Fox stiffing us and then both Gaudreau and Tkachuk bolting after putting up career years in their primes.

It's totally understandable IMO
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 03:04 PM   #7962
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I have no idea if Coronato will sign with the Flames or not, but I don't blame any Flames fans for being pessimistic or concerned about it. A little PTSD from Fox stiffing us and then both Gaudreau and Tkachuk bolting after putting up career years in their primes.

Agreed and the fact the fanbase is screaming to see Philips and more importantly Pelletier who is of a similar pedigree being a 1st pick not yet playing. How many 2019 1st rounders have yet to play a game? Coronato has the option of 4 years at Harvard and signing with a team who will certainly put him in the NHL immediately (at least to start)
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 03:25 PM   #7963
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Agreed and the fact the fanbase is screaming to see Philips and more importantly Pelletier who is of a similar pedigree being a 1st pick not yet playing. How many 2019 1st rounders have yet to play a game? Coronato has the option of 4 years at Harvard and signing with a team who will certainly put him in the NHL immediately (at least to start)
A couple points.
Only one first rounder drafted after Pelletier is playing in the NHL. And he has 13 games (Nolan Foote). Another has a single game. And there's a bunch of other guys around him with cups of coffee but few in that area of the draft have established themselves as NHLers.

Second, the Flames have proven that they will graduate someone to the NHL, with little or no time in the AHL if they are ready.
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 03:44 PM   #7964
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Coronato has the option of 4 years at Harvard and signing with a team who will certainly put him in the NHL immediately (at least to start)
Or… as another poster pointed out, he could sign with the Flames this spring and be on his second contract by the time ‘immediately’ rolls around.

There's nothing immediate about waiting until 2025.
Old 12-24-2022, 04:27 PM   #7965
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post
Or… as another poster pointed out, he could sign with the Flames this spring and be on his second contract by the time ‘immediately’ rolls around.

Exactly.

The only reason more players playing in college don’t go this route is the fact they get to burn a year off their initial contract when signing with their drafting team vs. delaying it another year.

Getting to that second contract is where the big money is made.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:08 AM   #7966
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Random View Post

He could also score the winning goal in game seven of our stanley cup run.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:26 AM   #7967
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I am not too worried about Coronato at this point. From everything he has said, it doesn't seem like there are any warning signs that would prevent him from following the normal trajectory of a 1st rounder and signing once his college season is finished this year. If for some reason he doesn't sign this spring, then maybe I start to worry.
Old 12-25-2022, 07:46 AM   #7968
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I seriously doubt that the Flames sign Coronato and then put him right in the lineup for a playoff push. He might get the black ace treatment or end up on the Wranglers, but making a late season addition to the main roster, not likely. It isn’t that he doesn’t have the skill, it has everything to the speed and intensity of the game. Coronoto will not be at the same level as the rest of the team and I would say his fitness will not be up to snuff. Going to an Ivy League school means less game and practice time than other programs and he will not have the legs or the stamina to keep up at the NHL level. I think he signs because the Flames will need him next year in a big way, but I don’t see him in the lineup this year in any meaningful way.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 09:15 AM   #7969
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

today I learned that 'immediately' means 2025
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 01:21 PM   #7970
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I seriously doubt that the Flames sign Coronato and then put him right in the lineup for a playoff push. He might get the black ace treatment or end up on the Wranglers, but making a late season addition to the main roster, not likely. It isn’t that he doesn’t have the skill, it has everything to the speed and intensity of the game. Coronoto will not be at the same level as the rest of the team and I would say his fitness will not be up to snuff. Going to an Ivy League school means less game and practice time than other programs and he will not have the legs or the stamina to keep up at the NHL level. I think he signs because the Flames will need him next year in a big way, but I don’t see him in the lineup this year in any meaningful way.
If you seriously don’t think he could step in and contribute right away you really don’t understand this generation of athletes. These guys are doing professional training at a young age. These college programs have more resources available to them then any CHL program including London. The USHL is no joke of development league either - Chicago Steel are probably the best funded/regimented programs of them.

Matthew Cornato will immediately become a weapon in the NHL. He maybe the best shooter we’ve had under the flames brand since Iginla and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s better given the way the game is right now.

His biggest challenge will be size and getting the opportunity but this kids hockey IQ is off the charts, it’s up there with some of the top 10% of NHL players. He skates like the wind and isn’t afraid to muck it up.
Old 12-25-2022, 02:29 PM   #7971
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sec214 sounds like Coronato's agent.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 02:44 PM   #7972
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Ya I think that he is a bit overboard, but I think Coronato is the best prospect we have had since Tkachuk. I see him as a slightly more physical Cammalleri and that excites me.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 03:23 PM   #7973
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
If you seriously don’t think he could step in and contribute right away you really don’t understand this generation of athletes. These guys are doing professional training at a young age. These college programs have more resources available to them then any CHL program including London. The USHL is no joke of development league either - Chicago Steel are probably the best funded/regimented programs of them.

Matthew Cornato will immediately become a weapon in the NHL. He maybe the best shooter we’ve had under the flames brand since Iginla and I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s better given the way the game is right now.

His biggest challenge will be size and getting the opportunity but this kids hockey IQ is off the charts, it’s up there with some of the top 10% of NHL players. He skates like the wind and isn’t afraid to muck it up.
Trevor Zegras, Alex Newhook, Alex Turcotte, and Matt Boldy were all arguably considered better prospects than Coronato, and all spent a short stint in the AHL. It’s not unreasonable to suggest that MC doesn’t make the team right away, especially considering that Sutter coaches the big squad.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 03:42 PM   #7974
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Figured my career out for sure, I even spelt my client’s last name wrong, typical mistake of a good lawyer.

Shame on me, please don’t tell Samantha and Richard.
Old 12-25-2022, 04:31 PM   #7975
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Trevor Zegras, Alex Newhook, Alex Turcotte, and Matt Boldy were all arguably considered better prospects than Coronato, and all spent a short stint in the AHL. It’s not unreasonable to suggest that MC doesn’t make the team right away, especially considering that Sutter coaches the big squad.
I guess it should be noted that all of these players did play in the NHL in their D+1 year. Like you said, they were considered to be better prospects (though only Zegras and Newhook were drafted in a higher position). Yet they all also played in the AHL in their D+1 year.

I'm guessing Coronato will spend some time in the AHL. But whichever season he spends time in the AHL will also be his first season in which he spends time in the NHL.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 05:11 PM   #7976
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I guess it should be noted that all of these players did play in the NHL in their D+1 year. Like you said, they were considered to be better prospects (though only Zegras and Newhook were drafted in a higher position). Yet they all also played in the AHL in their D+1 year.

I'm guessing Coronato will spend some time in the AHL. But whichever season he spends time in the AHL will also be his first season in which he spends time in the NHL.
Very true, but all but Zegras played for stints in the AHL in their D+2, and D+3 year.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:01 AM   #7977
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

nm

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 03:56 AM   #7978
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Zegras is the only one considered a blue chip prospect, 3 of the 4 are Americans and all drafted by American teams, believe it or not Coronato is already considered a star in the college ranks and will not sign here unless he's assured at least a solid shot with the Flames. And I said it before, if he's not signed by this spring trade him at the draft because it's unlikely he'll ever come here after that.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2022, 08:49 AM   #7979
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

What we should definitely do is have the media ask every chance they get of all American-born players, if they like Calgary and if they want to stay. Literally every interview, make sure they ask to get constant re-affirmation for us fans that they will stay. There's no way asking someone the same question over and over and over again would make them want to leave, right?
Old 12-26-2022, 10:48 AM   #7980
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach View Post
What we should definitely do is have the media ask every chance they get of all American-born players, if they like Calgary and if they want to stay. Literally every interview, make sure they ask to get constant re-affirmation for us fans that they will stay. There's no way asking someone the same question over and over and over again would make them want to leave, right?
Good thing we, the fans, have control of what the media asks the players
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote