Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-22-2022, 03:24 PM   #3421
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

They had seven consecutive #1 albums in UK spanning 14 years and sold 70 million albums worldwide.

Sure, they also completely sucked ass from start to finish if you ask me, but they're massively successful and popular, and were (unfortunately) massively influential. What can you do, fans of classic rock have terrible taste. I mean you can still find people who will seriously tell you that something like Guns'n'Roses "totally rules".
Classic Rock?! I wouldn't consider Oasis or Guns n' Roses classic rock.

Maybe some classic rock influences but Oasis is ####ty British Rock and guns n' roses is ####ty hard rock.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Zevo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-22-2022, 07:50 PM   #3422
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1605961457337712640
Old 12-23-2022, 02:04 AM   #3423
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Came across this 1935 commercial for Chevrolet. It's a little long winded for a commercial and some dated language, but it's more just an interesting brief look at life in 1935. I didn't realize they had motor homes and big dump trucks like that 88 years ago. I also thought it was interesting that they were talking about fuel economy back then as well. I also can't help watching films from that time and think, those poor buggers had no idea what was just around the corner.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 12-23-2022 at 02:06 AM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesAddiction For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 10:44 AM   #3424
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post

They had seven consecutive #1 albums in UK spanning 14 years and sold 70 million albums worldwide.

Sure, they also completely sucked ass from start to finish if you ask me, but they're massively successful and popular, and were (unfortunately) massively influential. What can you do, fans of classic rock have terrible taste. I mean you can still find people who will seriously tell you that something like Guns'n'Roses "totally rules".
It's funny how artists are perceived depending on where you live, isn't it? I just looked at their chart history. They had 23 top 10 songs in the UK, but only had 1 in the US (had 10 in Canada apparently though, mostly their later stuff, so not sure where that poster is coming from) They were a huge part of my teenage years. I liked them well enough but all my mates grew their hair out and starting learning to play the guitar. Fun times.

Reminds me of watching a one hit wonders show on the retro music video channel here recently and seeing The Corrs. And I'm thinking "how the hell can a band be a one hit wonder when I own their greatest hits album?!" but I guess they just didn't really make it to this side of the world.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 11:12 AM   #3425
Puppet Guy
Franchise Player

Exp:

A classic and SEASONAL wrestling promo (kinda NSFW):

- Surferguy
Puppet Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 12:45 PM   #3426
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
It's funny how artists are perceived depending on where you live, isn't it?
Nobody outside of Canada cares about Canadian music. Go to any generic pub in England, and they know Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, and Biebs.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 03:45 PM   #3427
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
Nobody outside of Canada cares about Canadian music. Go to any generic pub in England, and they know Bryan Adams, Celine Dion, and Biebs.
Rush, The Guess Who, Shania Twain and Alanis Morrisette all say hi
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2022, 07:06 PM   #3428
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
When I was in Europe and I told people I was from Canada, I had few right away start talking about Neil Young. I found it pretty cool that overseas he is attached to being from Canada, because I think he gets forgotten here a little.
Old 12-24-2022, 10:25 AM   #3429
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
When I was in Europe and I told people I was from Canada, I had few right away start talking about Neil Young. I found it pretty cool that overseas he is attached to being from Canada, because I think he gets forgotten here a little.
Was going to include him actually. And there are lots more, but I just wanted the ones that were top of the world charts at some point.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 05:00 PM   #3430
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

All of those examples are really, really old.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Traditional_Ale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 09:36 PM   #3431
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traditional_Ale View Post
All of those examples are really, really old.
Okay, but even if you're adding a qualifier like that I'd be highly surprised if Brits aren't familiar with The Weeknd, Drake, Sean Mendes, Alessia Cara. All those artists pack arenas in the UK. Even a lesser known like Jessie Reyez is really well known around the world.

It seems like a weird statement, first you talked about pubs, which I'd attribute with a slight older demographic AND you listed two old artists yourself, but missed some of our best young artists. Maybe you're just not into younger music and didn't realize that the young canadian artists have been killing it the past decade or so?

Last edited by jayswin; 12-24-2022 at 09:41 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-24-2022, 09:38 PM   #3432
jayswin

Exp:

Avril Lavigne, Michael Buble, Arcade Fire, Sum 41, Simple Plan, Billy Talent, Three Days Grace, and yes even the massively hated Nickelback. All were massive in the UK at their peak.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:55 PM   #3433
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Feom my experience most of the big Canadian artists are generally not recognized abroad as being Canadian. Most people just assume they're American. True of actors as well as musicians. Lots of people love them, but don't know they're Canadian.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:34 PM   #3434
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Feom my experience most of the big Canadian artists are generally not recognized abroad as being Canadian. Most people just assume they're American. True of actors as well as musicians. Lots of people love them, but don't know they're Canadian.
I think that’s true for basically any famous western celebrity. It’s just assumed they are Americans. Applies to both musicians and actors.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:40 PM   #3435
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Yeah, at the couple touristy pubs in Temple Bar we visited, there was a small Canadian contingent, and the fella playing live music played some Neil Young.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2022, 10:51 PM   #3436
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finger Eleven couldnt gain any traction in Canada and as soon as they focused on the US, became a hit. Then became a hit in Canada, because of the popularity in the US.

On the flip side, the Traj were maybe the most iconic Canadian Band ever, and not as well known in the US and around the world.

Last edited by Samonadreau; 12-24-2022 at 10:54 PM.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2022, 12:55 AM   #3437
cheevers
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
I'm always surprised The Band doesn't get more mentions. I'd put there 3 album run up against any other band. Also essentially created the Americana genre.
cheevers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cheevers For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2022, 01:37 AM   #3438
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Finger Eleven couldnt gain any traction in Canada and as soon as they focused on the US, became a hit. Then became a hit in Canada, because of the popularity in the US.

On the flip side, the Traj were maybe the most iconic Canadian Band ever, and not as well known in the US and around the world.
More recently, there is an indy rock band called Black Pistol Fire who were from Toronto. They did the local scene there, but later moved to Austin Texas where they started to take off. I listened to an interview with them and they are still proud to be Canadian, but the Austin scene is just a better place to jump off from in their niche.

I think it's just a fact for most Canadians in the entertainment industry that the American markets off more opportunity.
Old 12-25-2022, 07:48 AM   #3439
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
That seems weird, cause the major canadian artists now a days typically mention they're Canadian quite often in interviews and TV analysts speaking about them will often introduce them as Canadian or mention it at some point.

I have a hard time believibf people across the world have never heard mention of Drake, Bieber, The Weeknd, Sean Mendes, Alessia Cara being Canadian.
Old 12-25-2022, 09:21 AM   #3440
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post

I have Letters from Chutney.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote