Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2022, 08:50 PM   #4121
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
There was a C7 shooting brake concept that I actually liked. Four doors could be cool but does everything have to be an SUV do car manufacturers love money?
Whether you like it or not, that's essentially what you're asking.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:12 PM   #4122
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
There was a C7 shooting brake concept that I actually liked. Four doors could be cool but does everything have to be an SUV?
With how much they outsell sedans and coupes, GM would be stupid not to throw a Corvette badge on one. Hell Porche probably would have gone under had they not gone that route with the Cayenne
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:27 PM   #4123
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
There was a C7 shooting brake concept that I actually liked. Four doors could be cool but does everything have to be an SUV?
Holy crap that looked hot. DOOO IT!

And yeah everything has to be an SUV
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2022, 09:29 PM   #4124
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If SUVs are the price to pay to have cool wagons and such then so be it.
Old 11-29-2022, 09:38 PM   #4125
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
With how much they outsell sedans and coupes, GM would be stupid not to throw a Corvette badge on one. Hell Porche probably would have gone under had they not gone that route with the Cayenne
They didn’t put a 911 badge on an SUV. GM could make a sporty SUV like everyone else. The Blazer got Camaro styling, but not the power to match. I’d be all for that.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2022, 09:40 PM   #4126
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
We get less cool wagons because they’re not considered cool here. Speaking of which, the new C63S is going to be amazing. Nearly 700bhp and looks great.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 09:52 AM   #4127
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
They didn’t put a 911 badge on an SUV. GM could make a sporty SUV like everyone else. The Blazer got Camaro styling, but not the power to match. I’d be all for that.
No, but Porsche was, at the time, a pure sports car brand, which is what GM's attempting to do with the Corvette nameplate.

If we know anything, it's that consumers will line up and pay a big premium for an SUV with a premium badge on it. I know nothing about their plans for the brand, but hypothetically, a Corvette SUV could be nearly identical to the Blazer SS (or whatever it's called), but the 'Vette could command tens of thousands of dollars more in MSRP and pricey options, nearly all of which is pure profit for GM...

Quote:
We get less cool wagons because they’re not considered cool here. Speaking of which, the new C63S is going to be amazing. Nearly 700bhp and looks great.
New C63 looks impressive on paper - and I know it's a sign of the times - but it's getting so far away from what made earlier C AMGs sooooo cool and special when MB just jammed their biggest engine in their (then) smallest car... C43, C55, C63.

I'm sure it'll be a rocket, but it also weighs 4,700 lbs, which is obscene any way you cut it for a "small" sedan.

Last edited by you&me; 11-30-2022 at 09:57 AM.
Old 11-30-2022, 09:58 AM   #4128
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Brrrrrr

Ongoing pet peeve with BMW....how in the world is it that BMW's shipped to North America do not come with block heaters from the factory. Including the X5 I drive I have had 4 BMW's...not one had a block heater.
Yikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:06 AM   #4129
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yikes View Post
Ongoing pet peeve with BMW....how in the world is it that BMW's shipped to North America do not come with block heaters from the factory. Including the X5 I drive I have had 4 BMW's...not one had a block heater.
I don't think I've plugged a car in since the 1990s. Not even sure if any of my vehicles have one.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 10:13 AM   #4130
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
I don't think I've plugged a car in since the 1990s. Not even sure if any of my vehicles have one.

I'm exactly the opposite...except for the BMW's every vehicle has been plugged in...might not have needed it but have always done it. Have had heated garages but that comfort always seems to go to the ladies in our lives.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:17 AM   #4131
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yep. It's been a while since I've had a BMW, but have had a few over the years and never had a problem. Admittedly, it seemed like it would be an issue, especially when I didn't have a garage, but never once had a problem.

Yikes - has this actually been an issue for you, or you just find it perplexing?
Old 11-30-2022, 10:20 AM   #4132
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A block heater warms the engine and certain fluids to make it easier to start the car. For the price of the block heater, I'd rather replace my battery slightly earlier and also use a trickle charger to ensure the battery is near full just before a cold snap. I've had many friends with vehicles with no block heater. They all never had issues starting their car. Plenty of people with block heaters have issues starting their vehicle. But it was always old battery issues.

For the rest of it, automatic car starter.

TBH, even with a block heater, I don't believe I've bothered plugging in my car except for -40C type of cold snaps. Even in those cold snaps, the vehicle started even if it was a bit sluggish. A USB jump starter could also get the vehicle past the starting hoop on a low battery if required.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:23 AM   #4133
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
Yep. It's been a while since I've had a BMW, but have had a few over the years and never had a problem. Admittedly, it seemed like it would be an issue, especially when I didn't have a garage, but never once had a problem.

Yikes - has this actually been an issue for you, or you just find it perplexing?

Not an issue - BUT - I think we would all agree that plugged in cars are much happier being fired up at minus gazillion plus wind chill than cars that are not plugged in.
Old 11-30-2022, 10:28 AM   #4134
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do any cars come from the factory with a block heater? I thought it was pretty much always a dealer add?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:31 AM   #4135
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Do any cars come from the factory with a block heater? I thought it was pretty much always a dealer add?

I thought all made in NA or destined for NA came with? Maybe not? I have never bought or leased new, always bought used. Even the oldish MB wagon (ski machine) had a block heater but not Beemer....
Old 11-30-2022, 10:41 AM   #4136
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
SUVs are the reason we don't get more cool wagons/etc. There's so many drool worthy Euro wagons I wish we'd get over here.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2022, 10:42 AM   #4137
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think a lot come standard. It's such a small cost for them to toss it in at the factory. You can buy them for ~$25, probably doesn't cost them more than $10.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 10:53 AM   #4138
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
I thought all made in NA or destined for NA came with? Maybe not? I have never bought or leased new, always bought used. Even the oldish MB wagon (ski machine) had a block heater but not Beemer....
Dude I think you're just thinking of cars from the 80s and 90s. I know for a fact my 2011 Sienna I bought brand new didn't come with one. I'm certain my 2022 Telluride doesn't have one, but I could be wrong. Either way it is irrelevant since it'll never be used. Maybe my 2016 F-150 has one, but I've never seen it. If it's there it'll be buried under the hood somewhere. It has never spent a night of its life in my garage (I'm the original owner) and has not once failed to start. My Mercedes (2012) I'm very sure doesn't have one. Again, never looked, though. Daughter's 2017 VW Sportwagen has never been plugged in and lives exclusively outside. Maybe it has one, but I've never seen it. I'll take a peek next time I have the hood open because now I'm curious.

All this is to say it's not a BMW thing and it may be time to recalibrate your thoughts on plugging in cars in Calgary. It's a thing of the past.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:05 AM   #4139
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Dude I think you're just thinking of cars from the 80s and 90s. I know for a fact my 2011 Sienna I bought brand new didn't come with one. I'm certain my 2022 Telluride doesn't have one, but I could be wrong. Either way it is irrelevant since it'll never be used. Maybe my 2016 F-150 has one, but I've never seen it. If it's there it'll be buried under the hood somewhere. It has never spent a night of its life in my garage (I'm the original owner) and has not once failed to start. My Mercedes (2012) I'm very sure doesn't have one. Again, never looked, though. Daughter's 2017 VW Sportwagen has never been plugged in and lives exclusively outside. Maybe it has one, but I've never seen it. I'll take a peek next time I have the hood open because now I'm curious.

All this is to say it's not a BMW thing and it may be time to recalibrate your thoughts on plugging in cars in Calgary. It's a thing of the past.
Depends on the vehicle. In the dark ages before I had a heated garage my wife's Impreza was questionable if it was below -25 and not plugged in. It certainly struggled. And you may be able to start at -30, but it's not great for the engine. Think how thick the oil is, and how long it takes to warm up to lube everything.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2022, 11:12 AM   #4140
Yikes
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:

I hear you and so then I guess the rumours are true...I am old, feeble and I like to plug in my car at minus 25