Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #7721
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
The Republican party is already fractured with many members of the party wanting to move on from Trump. Someone in the party needs to step up and challenge him for the Presidential bid but they won't due to fears of enduring his wrath. I agree, sad day for America

I think we’ll be surprised and DeSantis will mop the floor with Trump’s spittle. Trump’s personal brand is dying and it’s a long two years to the election. He doesn’t have the same energy to bully the field.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 08:14 AM   #7722
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
The interviewer was a dick too. “Your man Donald” is pretty patronizing
Boo Hoo

It was gentle when compared to the vitriol approach taken by Lake.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:16 AM   #7723
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Trump has the cult, and the definitely matters, especially in the primary, but unlike last time where he had a dozen people to bash and insult to draw attention, he's looking at one at most, and that one is well liked by even a lot of the cult. And as we can see from the attempted walkouts last night and the middling coverage today outside of OANN and Newsmax, he's schtick is pretty played at this point. Doesn't mean he won't win the nomination, but DeSantis is far, far stronger than anyone he went up against in the 2016 primary. If DeSantis can stay above the fray and keep on message, he might win simply by Trump boring people to death.
The key to Desantis having a chance is making a 1v1 as soon as possible. Hogan, Pence and Youngkin sure look like they are making moves to run. I'd guess the RNC does their best to keep them from running.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:25 AM   #7724
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Hopefully Trump causes so much havoc that the Dems take 2024 and the Republicans have a little soul searching moment.

Because that party needs it.

I mean, so do the Democrats, but their time can come after 2024. One party at a time.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:30 AM   #7725
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I think the biggest difference is that DeSantis is seen as genuine and Trump isn’t. There were a lot of groups that had to swallow their pride to vote for Trump. He’s not religious, he gets caught in constant lies, he’s not a family man, etc. All his faults were acceptable when his promises to break the system and “drain the swamp” were still just promises, but after 4 years of him accomplishing nothing in that realm and generally being bad at the job, people are a little more aware. He’s also a loser now, whereas DeSantis is still a winner.

DeSantis might be “Trump lite” but he also might be a version of Trump that is more than just bluster and trolling, which is going to be very appealing to a lot of people.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 08:30 AM   #7726
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder how scorched earth Trump goes if he starts losing primaries. I'm sure he'd start questioning legitimacy of results, attacking Desantis and threatening to or maybe actually running as an independent.
Old 11-16-2022, 08:33 AM   #7727
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
I wonder how scorched earth Trump goes if he starts losing primaries. I'm sure he'd start questioning legitimacy of results, attacking Desantis and threatening to or maybe actually running as an independent.
My hope is that if Trump stats losing all his cultists lose faith in the system and never vote again.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 08:48 AM   #7728
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Pharmacist View Post
After the primary they'll all fall back the winner. DeSantis is just a Trump clone and there's Zero chance he can beat Trump in a primary
I'll take that bet.

Younger, less baggage, more effective record in actually governing. Same basic rhetoric and ideology as Trump, but a massive upgrade. Fairly charismatic as well.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 09:17 AM   #7729
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I'll take that bet.

Younger, less baggage, more effective record in actually governing. Same basic rhetoric and ideology as Trump, but a massive upgrade. Fairly charismatic as well.
I'll donate $50 to CP if DeSantis even gets within 10pts
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:38 AM   #7730
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
My hope is that if Trump stats losing all his cultists lose faith in the system and never vote again.
Lol, my guy, Qanon is as popular as ever.

Trump didn't lose, THAT's what your aren't understanding here.
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:39 AM   #7731
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think the biggest difference is that DeSantis is seen as genuine and Trump isn’t.
Which is hilarious because Trump is actually genuine a lot of the time because he doesn't have the capacity to censor himself. I mean, he lies constantly, but it's completely transparent. What you see is actually what you get. DeSantis is completely full of ####, from what I can tell.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:44 AM   #7732
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

DeSantis seems more effective than Trump in doing the bad things he wants to do. He's maybe not more vindictive than Trump, but better at staying focused on it.
Old 11-16-2022, 09:52 AM   #7733
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeSantis is essentially a smarter, more competent, less crazy version of Trump. He should win, but he won’t, since no one in the GOP has any spine and the majority of them are still afraid to go against Trump.
direwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:58 AM   #7734
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

DeSantis is much more likely to work with the Republican establishment to get legislation they want implemented. Trump is a wildcard that sucks all the air from the room, and gets nothing meaningful done. I suspect the establishment will heavily support DeSantis, and point to the failures of Trump candidates as the reason to move on.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:04 AM   #7735
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Bold prediction: I think DeSantis sits this one out and goes in 2028.

A. He's only 44
B. He's just got a new Governor term
C. Biden probably wins re-election
D. Why get into this Trump mess, just let him burn first and go for an open election in 2028

I understand there is a lot of pressure and he may be pushed by money and backers.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:06 AM   #7736
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
DeSantis is essentially a smarter, more competent, less crazy version of Trump. He should win, but he won’t, since no one in the GOP has any spine and the majority of them are still afraid to go against Trump.
People didn't vote for Trump because of his policies. They like the policies now because Trump did them. Building a wall was not a popular Republican policy until Trump wanted it. Ditto for "election security", pulling out of Paris Accord, caging migrant babies, etc, etc. Florida is Florida and will continue to Florida, but I'm not sure that's useful in predicting the rest of the country
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:08 AM   #7737
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Biden gets in again, he will end up having been in the White House for 16 of 20 consecutive years. That's wild.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:08 AM   #7738
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Which is hilarious because Trump is actually genuine a lot of the time because he doesn't have the capacity to censor himself. I mean, he lies constantly, but it's completely transparent. What you see is actually what you get. DeSantis is completely full of ####, from what I can tell.
I think Trump is the least genuine human being on the planet. His whole life is built on creating an image that has nothing to do with reality. He's lived a life of luxury by just creating an appearance of wealth without any real wealth. He's held on to his cult by having them actually believe he didn't lose. He doesn't even believe in most of the conservative policies he delivered.
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 10:12 AM   #7739
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Also, let's not forget that DeSantis is a warrior of God.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 11-16-2022, 10:17 AM   #7740
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who would be the more terrible president? I guess I'd hope for Trump to get the nomination as he probably can't win the general election. I strongly disagree with Desantis on social issues, and think it would be a big step backwards in that area with him as president. But I don't know that the country's democracy can withstand another Trump presidency and don't want to have him making the calls on any crises that may happen.