Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2022, 12:26 PM   #1041
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Tell me you don't understand modern employee recruiting without saying you don't understand modern employee recruiting.
Thanks for the cliche response, totally not beaten to death or anything.

It's hard to find sympathy for someone who can't handle a basic 40 hour work week in an office, "modern employee recruiting" or not.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #1042
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMasterFlame View Post
It's hard to find sympathy for someone who can't handle a basic 40 hour work week in an office, "modern employee recruiting" or not.
It's not a question of whether they can or can't handle it. It's a question of why would they if someone offers them the option to WFH full-time (all other compensation, etc., being equal)?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 12:28 PM   #1043
RedHot25
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the cliche response, totally not beaten to death or anything
Uh, well, in fairness....

Quote:
Oh my god 40 hours a week in the office? The horror
RedHot25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RedHot25 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 12:35 PM   #1044
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
It's not a question of whether they can or can't handle it. It's a question of why would they if someone offers them the option to WFH full-time (all other compensation, etc., being equal)?
Faceberg just laid off 11,000 employees. Seems like a lot of tech companies are starting to cut the dead weight and there is now a massive surplus of tech workers desperate for a job.

WFH is great if you can get it, but the pandemic is over and I'm thinking that gravy train has left the station.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:39 PM   #1045
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

“Work from home forever” has also been a policy since 2020, and there have obviously people who have been hired and only worked under that policy. Then there’s the legal ramifications of changing the work situation without notice, but we don’t have enough context for a proper judgement on that.

But that’s beside the fact that it’s endlessly funny to me how hard people stan for antiquated work culture. Just the worst “pick me” vibe of almost anyone. Oh you’re mocking people who like doing the job that is 100% on a computer from home? Cool, that doesn’t put more money in your pocket or get you a promotion. Elon isn’t going to DM you. Instead of mocking people for seeing the value in better working conditions and wanting to keep them, maybe you should take your tongue off the boss’s boot and strive for something better yourself. Or keep doing the “if I have to hate this so does everyone else” thing through life. Lame.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 12:46 PM   #1046
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Demanding workers come back into the office is also a great way to kill morale and spur resentment amongst your staff.
Old 11-10-2022, 12:51 PM   #1047
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the cliche response, totally not beaten to death or anything.

I find it hard to have any sympathy for an employer that is so backwards that they think ppl need to bd present in an office gor certain jobs. Especially when a lot or those employers have really crappy offices.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:55 PM   #1048
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Demanding workers come back into the office is also a great way to kill morale and spur resentment amongst your staff.
I concluded long ago that the only reason employers do this is because one of two things. Either they have to physically use their body at their place of work (that's fair), or the employer spends money on a physical building and wants ROI to make themselves feel better.

Forcing employees into the office because of the latter situation is exactly when employees tell employers to go pound sand and they'll find something else.

And employers can cry and stomp their feet all they want, but the market gets what it wants.

Remote/hybrid work is here to stay.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 12:57 PM   #1049
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Working from home is a "gravy train"? I guess I save some gas $.

Maybe for my employer, I'm more productive at home than in the office.

WFH existed LONG before COVID and more and more places were moving towards it. Sure lots of jobs don't fit with WFH, but when it makes sense and an employer refuses it says a lot about the employer. I'd rather not work for a micro-manager or someone who has no way of measuring productivity other than looking at you.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 12:59 PM   #1050
Regorium
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
I concluded long ago that the only reason employers do this is because one of two things. Either they have to physically use their body at their place of work (that's fair), or the employer spends money on a physical building and wants ROI to make themselves feel better.

Forcing employees into the office because of the latter situation is exactly when employees tell employers to go pound sand and they'll find something else.

And employers can cry and stomp their feet all they want, but the market gets what it wants.

I think this is a really simplistic view of the situation. You don't see any benefits of working from the office other than having a butt in a seat to make their physical building worthwhile?
Regorium is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regorium For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 12:59 PM   #1051
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Working from home is a "gravy train"? I guess I save some gas $.

Maybe for my employer, I'm more productive at home than in the office.

WFH existed LONG before COVID and more and more places were moving towards it. Sure lots of jobs don't fit with WFH, but when it makes sense and an employer refuses it says a lot about the employer. I'd rather not work for a micro-manager or someone who has no way of measuring productivity other than looking at you.
I don't think most modern day employees call working from home a "gravy train".
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 01:00 PM   #1052
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I have a friend who works for a software company and the lease on their commercial space came up at the beginning of 2021. He said his boss said it was the easiest decision to make to not renew and just have everyone work remotely. Saves the company thousands of dollars per year.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:02 PM   #1053
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:

TBF some of them also do it because they believe it to be essential for a good corporate culture, which could be a dumb excuse for the ROI thing you mentioned, or could be that these people are so bad at managing people and fostering an authentic culture that they have no understanding of the effect of forcing people who don’t want to be in one space back to that space.

I’ve found it pretty wild through my job to witness companies force their people back to work (some of these places even view themselves as progressive) only to lose high-quality workers to better situations and even freelancing.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:05 PM   #1054
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Freelancing/independent contracting is where it's at.

And you can choose to be in the corporate culture with your clients or completely separate yourself. Having that choice is glorious
The Following User Says Thank You to Ozy_Flame For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 01:09 PM   #1055
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
You don't see any benefits of working from the office other than having a butt in a seat to make their physical building worthwhile?
Well in person meetings do often give a false sense of accomplishing things
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 01:12 PM   #1056
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regorium View Post
I think this is a really simplistic view of the situation. You don't see any benefits of working from the office other than having a butt in a seat to make their physical building worthwhile?
Lunch places close by? Assuming you're downtown?

That's all I got.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:13 PM   #1057
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Lunch places close by? Assuming you're downtown?

That's all I got.
Maybe he likes getting an hour of driving in every day. Gotta keep the tires warm!
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2022, 01:24 PM   #1058
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

I think some people have no friends and they like the social aspect of going into the office. For me, I keep my work life and personal life 100% separate. If I could WFH I'd do it in a heartbeat and miss absolutely nothing about going to the office.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2022, 01:26 PM   #1059
Ozy_Flame

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Maybe he likes getting an hour of driving in every day. Gotta keep the tires warm!
Boomers are weird like that. Although maybe it's cathartic to listen to CDs in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:27 PM   #1060
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Boomers are weird like that. Although maybe it's cathartic to listen to CDs in bumper-to-bumper traffic.
Come on now. That's not fair. Maybe they just hate their families.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: