Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2022, 08:36 AM   #6961
1_Flames_Fan
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Jim Rutherford sounded like he wanted to make a trade on HNIC on Saturday. I want Conor Garland for the Flames. I think we’d want to send back Nikita Zadorov plus futures to make the cap work and keep the blue line strong. I guess I think Garland’s a good target because I don’t think he’d be overly expensive, and his salary is doable.

26 years old. Right handed. Good skater. Solid metrics. ~55 points/82 games over the last 3 seasons previous to this one.
Nah, Garland has that Canuck stink all over him. Take a prison hose and a Freud level psychiatrist to wash that all away.
1_Flames_Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:40 AM   #6962
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Nah, Garland has that Canuck stink all over him. Take a prison hose and a Freud level psychiatrist to wash that all away.
I read that as prison horse like 3 times lol. Prison hose or horse, point is... wait I had something for this
TheoFleury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 08:40 AM   #6963
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_Flames_Fan View Post
Like Tanev & Markstrom?
Garland is probably the best attitude and hardest worker on the Canucks. He'd flourish in a better environment.

Having said that, I don't know if his ceiling is high enough to fill the Flames needs in the top 6.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 09:01 AM   #6964
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Certainly not for Zadorov
Old 10-25-2022, 09:14 AM   #6965
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Garland would be a great addition here, too bad it will never happen as Vancouver is in the division. If the cap worked for us I'd do Dube for him straight up, but it doesn't

We aren't getting Garland and definitely not Kane. The best hope is that Dube goes 25-25, trying to acquire that with a small hit would be too expensive and we only have $1.4m in space, so that's the only option as far as I see it. Hopefully Treliving can resist the temptation to trade futures for this year's Hagel or whatever. Just not worth it IMO
Old 10-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #6966
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheoFleury View Post
Garland would be a great addition here, too bad it will never happen as Vancouver is in the division. If the cap worked for us I'd do Dube for him straight up, but it doesn't

We aren't getting Garland and definitely not Kane. The best hope is that Dube goes 25-25, trying to acquire that with a small hit would be too expensive and we only have $1.4m in space, so that's the only option as far as I see it. Hopefully Treliving can resist the temptation to trade futures for this year's Hagel or whatever. Just not worth it IMO
I would not trade Dube for Garland.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 12:23 PM   #6967
Knut

Exp:

Garland is a healthy scratch on a team that is 0-5-2. He obviously has some flaws.

He is a hard pass for me. One of those guys living off reputation. Puts up decent numbers but probably has significant flaws in his game.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 12:28 PM   #6968
butterfly
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
Jim Rutherford sounded like he wanted to make a trade on HNIC on Saturday. I want Conor Garland for the Flames. I think we’d want to send back Nikita Zadorov plus futures to make the cap work and keep the blue line strong. I guess I think Garland’s a good target because I don’t think he’d be overly expensive, and his salary is doable.

26 years old. Right handed. Good skater. Solid metrics. ~55 points/82 games over the last 3 seasons previous to this one.
We can't do that to Zadorov. He re-signed during the darkest days.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 12:58 PM   #6969
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

A few more weeks into the season, we will start seeing teams solidify what they are this year. Some teams are having solid starts that may make them closer to buyers rather than sellers this season (Buffalo and Ottawa for example). At that point, teams ready to sell some players to help with their tank for Bedard and acquire futures will emerge.

At this point, if we take the teams with the worst starts to the season as being the teams that will be sellers are there any players for Treliving to target from those teams to shore up right wing?

Vancouver
Phoenix
Anaheim
Minnesota
San Jose

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 12:59 PM   #6970
Kasi
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I wonder what the number of trades that have happened for a player in their first year of a multi year contract? Certainly never seen it in a 5+ year contract but curious what the numbers are for 2-3 year contracts. It does seem like a no-no that would be bad for future extensions/signings to sign a player and immediately trade them. Yet fans always want those sort of deals to happen but don’t really make concessions to why that sort of deal would negatively impact the ability of a team to sign FAs.
Kasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 01:55 PM   #6971
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Toffoli has been the best player so far on line 1, but I still think it's that position in the lineup that needs the upgrade.

I don't see Garland lining up there well. If we're going small speedster, let's shoot for the moon and try for Kane. Otherwise, IMO the natural fit and what's missing from that line is a powerforward/ punishing type of player. Timo Meier is a potentially available example. Garland feels like a player that could maybe gel with Backlund-Coleman. But I think we could get better.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 02:07 PM   #6972
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never been high on Garland and always thought he was overrated. Hard pass. There's better options out there.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to N-E-B For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 02:37 PM   #6973
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
I've never been high on Garland and always thought he was overrated. Hard pass. There's better options out there.
Yeah I'm the same. I always felt like I was the only one on CP who feels this way.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 02:56 PM   #6974
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I would not trade Dube for Garland.
Yeah it's a small improvement and you probably have to add.

Not worth it to subtract for such a small add.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #6975
TheoFleury
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post

I think best case is Dube develops into a similarly productive player. Then, in 2 years we get to pay him more than Garland makes now. Equal chance Dube just is what he is
Old 10-25-2022, 03:03 PM   #6976
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Flames have pretty much no ability to add salary cap to next year's cap. The projected bump to 86.5M + Lucic's deal coming to an end gives us the space to maintain what we have + fill out the roster with young/cheap players:

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (9)
Right wing: Tyler Toffoli ($4,250,000) - Andrew Mangiapane ($5,800,000) - Blake Coleman ($4,900,000)
Centre: Elias Lindholm ($4,850,000) - Nazem Kadri ($7,000,000) - Mikael Backlund ($5,350,000) - Kevin Rooney ($1,300,000)
Left wing: Jonathan Huberdeau ($10,500,000) - Dillon Dubé ($2,300,000)

DEFENSE (6)
Right: Rasmus Andersson ($4,550,000) - MacKenzie Weegar ($6,250,000) - Christopher Tanev ($4,500,000)
Left: Noah Hanifin ($4,950,000) - Nikita Zadorov ($3,750,000) - Oliver Kylington ($2,500,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Jacob Markström ($6,000,000) - Daniel Vladar ($2,200,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 18
Salary Cap: $86,500,000
Cap Hit: $81,712,500
Cap Space: $4,787,500

If the cap doesn't hit that $86.5M it's going to get interesting.

Here is a (projection) for full roster:

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (13)
Right wing: Tyler Toffoli ($4,250,000) - Andrew Mangiapane ($5,800,000) - Matthew Coronato ($925,000) - Brett Ritchie ($775,000)
Centre: Elias Lindholm ($4,850,000) - Nazem Kadri ($7,000,000) - Mikael Backlund ($5,350,000) - Cole Schwindt ($855,833) - Adam Ruzicka ($762,500)
Left wing: Jonathan Huberdeau ($10,500,000) - Dillon Dubé ($2,300,000) - Blake Coleman ($4,900,000) - Kevin Rooney ($1,300,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Rasmus Andersson ($4,550,000) - MacKenzie Weegar ($6,250,000) - Christopher Tanev ($4,500,000) - Michael Stone ($775,00)
Left: Noah Hanifin ($4,950,000) - Nikita Zadorov ($3,750,000) - Oliver Kylington ($2,500,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Jacob Markström ($6,000,000) - Daniel Vladar ($2,200,000)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 22
Salary Cap: $86,500,000
Cap Hit: $85,043,333
Cap Space: $1,456,667

Last edited by ComixZone; 10-25-2022 at 03:09 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 03:11 PM   #6977
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Especially when Dube costs $2.3 this year and next, while Garland is $4.95M

Without looking at cost, Garland is an upgrade on Dube (though not a large one). But at more than double the price? With the Flames' cap situation where it is next year? Not a chance I would make that trade.

To make the cap work, it would have to be Dube + Kylington. And there is no way you trade both of them for Garland.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2022, 06:52 PM   #6978
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
The Flames have pretty much no ability to add salary cap to next year's cap. The projected bump to 86.5M + Lucic's deal coming to an end gives us the space to maintain what we have + fill out the roster with young/cheap players:
Spoiler!
All the more reason why it would be a mistake to trade away top prospects at this year's deadline.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #6979
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathgod View Post
All the more reason why it would be a mistake to trade away top prospects at this year's deadline.
Or any more picks for a year or two. But I trust Trelivings already got a game plan mapped out.
Old 10-25-2022, 08:03 PM   #6980
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Flames need to go after quality players not stop gap, or reclamation projects. We have had a number of players come in who just couldn't get the job done. I think we need to target the right player who puts us over the top. If the top two lines are strong it gives us is more room to bring up and develop our own players. If the team on the ice isn't good enough we are always going to be looking for another piece.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post: