Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2022, 10:14 AM   #2601
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I would guess they’re mostly young guys who can’t afford an expensive vehicle. I would like to see why Finland linked fines to income. They’re already way stricter about driving so I don’t know if the reasons would apply here.

I do want to go back to my proposal that vehicle size (mass and/or dimensions) determining the fine because F=ma and we already scale it to speed so why not do it for mass as well?

I can already see from the reaction here that it will never fly. But it’s worth discussing. I’d like to see a legitimate reason against it besides, “but my truck!”
New trucks and SUVs stop shorter than ~10 y/o sedans... Maybe we should fine drivers of older vehicles?
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 10:36 AM   #2602
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by you&me View Post
New trucks and SUVs stop shorter than ~10 y/o sedans... Maybe we should fine drivers of older vehicles?
Source?

I don't doubt there have been slight improvements, but it's kinda irrelevant to this discussion.

New SUV/truck stops slightly shorter than older SUV/truck...of which there are still plenty on the road...
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 10:38 AM   #2603
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I would guess they’re mostly young guys who can’t afford an expensive vehicle. I would like to see why Finland linked fines to income. They’re already way stricter about driving so I don’t know if the reasons would apply here.

I do want to go back to my proposal that vehicle size (mass and/or dimensions) determining the fine because F=ma and we already scale it to speed so why not do it for mass as well?

I can already see from the reaction here that it will never fly. But it’s worth discussing. I’d like to see a legitimate reason against it besides, “but my truck!”
There are already a lot of arguments to me made that trucks shouldn't be allowed as commuter cars. They have a larger carbon footprint, they cause more pedestrian deaths, they cause more fatalities in collisions with cars, etc. I do think there will be growing movements to ban pickup trucks as commuter vehicles in the future but not in this decade.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 11:37 AM   #2604
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

People who drive trucks as commuters have given up their right to complain about the price of gas. It isn't the governments fault you love wasting money.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 11:41 AM   #2605
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think all trucks and vehicles over a certain weight or size or whatever should be required to be PHEV at minimum. There is an added cost, but truck buyers seem to have no limits. Given their size, regenerative breaking would be valuable to energy conservation and reducing emmisions, particularity for the commuters, and could probably do most of their trips on batteries. This would be a pretty easy win for the climate and air quality in cities.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:42 AM   #2606
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There are already a lot of arguments to me made that trucks shouldn't be allowed as commuter cars. They have a larger carbon footprint, they cause more pedestrian deaths, they cause more fatalities in collisions with cars, etc. I do think there will be growing movements to ban pickup trucks as commuter vehicles in the future but not in this decade.
I doubt they’ll ever be banned because SUVs and trucks are only gaining popularity. Automation should make driving safer but I would like to see a change in how fines are handed out in the meantime. Again, I doubt that happens.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 11:57 AM   #2607
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I think all trucks and vehicles over a certain weight or size or whatever should be required to be PHEV at minimum. There is an added cost, but truck buyers seem to have no limits. Given their size, regenerative breaking would be valuable to energy conservation and reducing emmisions, particularity for the commuters, and could probably do most of their trips on batteries. This would be a pretty easy win for the climate and air quality in cities.
IC being banned in 12 ish years pretty much solves this angle anyway without just limiting it to certain vehicles
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #2608
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I doubt they’ll ever be banned because SUVs and trucks are only gaining popularity. Automation should make driving safer but I would like to see a change in how fines are handed out in the meantime. Again, I doubt that happens.
Due to their size, aerodynamics, and weight they are always going to be deemed as wasteful as their carbon footprint will be large whether they are EV or ICE powered. IMO the move to EV is just the beginning of the changes in transportation. In the coming years/decades when power grids are taxed due to everyone driving an EV's there will be a strong push for more efficient vehicles to which pickup trucks will never be. IMO it's going to happen and it's just a matter of when.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 12:02 PM   #2609
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Good idea. A tesla model s weighs exactly the same as a new f150.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 12:08 PM   #2610
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Source?

I don't doubt there have been slight improvements, but it's kinda irrelevant to this discussion.

New SUV/truck stops slightly shorter than older SUV/truck...of which there are still plenty on the road...

Quote:
Since the mid-nineties, we've tested 50 members of GM's large SUV family, which includes the Escalade, Suburban, Tahoe, and Yukon. In 1999, we recorded a 248-foot stop from 70 mph in a Tahoe. That's public menace territory by today's standards. We even recorded an over-200-foot result in a 2016 Cadillac Escalade. As of mid-December 2020, we've tested six members of the newest generation of that family (we doubled up on Escalade and Tahoe). They're larger and heavier than the trucks that came before, but all of them stopped in 184 feet or less. The best of the bunch, a 2021 Suburban High Country, only needed 166 feet of runway to do the job. That's better than all kinds of smaller, nimbler cars, including a Mazda 3 we recently tested, and it's only six feet off the mark set by an Audi RS6 Avant.

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...g-performance/
you&me is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to you&me For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2022, 12:26 PM   #2611
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
IC being banned in 12 ish years pretty much solves this angle anyway without just limiting it to certain vehicles
That's 12 years of effective policy you are dismissing. It's also going to save most truck buyers money in the long run, even if they don't know what is good for them.
Old 09-20-2022, 12:34 PM   #2612
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Are people speeding because they can afford to? And what’s the point of a speeding ticket; is it to punish the offender or redistribute wealth?
yes some are.
I've known a few people who didn't give a crap about what to them is some dumb ass photo radar ticket or traffic violation.
and I wouldn't call it redistributing wealth so much as having an actual consequence that might get their attention.

Last edited by GordonBlue; 09-20-2022 at 12:38 PM.
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 04:39 PM   #2613
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Selfish POS ####face looking down at his phone while he swerves through a construction zone almost killing me. I can't believe people still do this.
Old 09-20-2022, 05:05 PM   #2614
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Selfish POS ####face looking down at his phone while he swerves through a construction zone almost killing me. I can't believe people still do this.
It's unbelievable how bad it is. Just take a look on any highway or roadway. So many drivers with their heads in their laps. And all ages though the youngest people are, in my opinion, the worst offenders. Maybe it's because they have older cars with no apple carplay but really it's because they cannot be off their social media for 5 seconds. Scary because they are the least experienced drivers.

And on the carplay/android auto it's still definitely distracting but I suppose you can keep your eyes looking forward if you use it correctly.

This is something technology could definitely fix but there just doesn't seem to be an appetite to do anything.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:05 PM   #2615
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't find this stuff online or any store in Calgary, french's, this brand, whatever, it's driving me nuts. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this stuff
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:17 PM   #2616
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post

I can't find this stuff online or any store in Calgary, french's, this brand, whatever, it's driving me nuts. Does anyone have any idea where I can get this stuff

Had them at Costco once so they might make it there again. Not my favourite, I ended up throwing them out. Texture was not great.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 05:37 PM   #2617
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Costco hasnt had them for 2 years

Superstore had their own brand, cant find those now

Frenchs also had a version, cant find those

####!
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 09:19 PM   #2618
CMPunk
aka Spike

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Costco hasnt had them for 2 years

Superstore had their own brand, cant find those now

Frenchs also had a version, cant find those

####!
Save-On?
CMPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:39 AM   #2619
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Speeding through construction zones GMG. But then again some zones are absurdly long and are in seemingly in place long after construction is finished. That GMG too
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 07:42 AM   #2620
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
Speeding through construction zones GMG. But then again some zones are absurdly long and are in seemingly in place long after construction is finished. That GMG too
This was 10th st at 16th ave, it's maybe 200m long. He also wasn't paying attention and left a big gap in front of him, so about 5 more cars could have gotten through the light if he hadn't been so selfish and careless. I could have gone in front of him, but when I saw him staring down at his phone, I didn't want to be in his path.