Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-15-2022, 10:37 AM   #1661
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've actually had the opposite struggle. Was in a relationship for over a decade so my already barely passable courting skills rotted. I had to get used to the whole new world of online dating, which is really weird at first. But after a while I adjusted and actually think I've had a fairly decent experience on there, though it definitely fluctuates in peaks & valleys. Where I struggle now is the in-person version of first meeting someone (aka not a Tinder meetup), it's just been sooo long...I just learned how to Tinder after my breakup & never re-learned how to do it in the good old fashioned, in person way again.

My in-person game is currently so embarrassing that I won't even approach a woman who's smiling at me from across the bar the odd time anymore cuz I already know how it's going to go if I do lol. I think part of it is I don't really know many people here anymore, and the ones I do know live in the deep south of the city and are married, so I'm usually just riding solo downtown unless one of them visits: I was always better with that stuff in a group. But I also feel I'm getting more and more introverted and socially awkward the past 2-3 years, perhaps due to Covid. I just wish I could shake it, feels like I'm missing out on a dating gold mine living downtown now.

Last edited by Sainters7; 08-15-2022 at 03:50 PM.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:39 AM   #1662
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
If you’re standing on a sidewalk/footpath/footway or whatever it’s called, you’re entitled to expect not to be hit by a car.

If you’re a driver and you hit anyone standing on a sidewalk, regardless of where they are on that sidewalk, you shouldn’t have a licence because it shouldn’t be an issue of tonnes of metal impacting a human being standing on a sidewalk.

I can’t believe this is even a topic of debate.
It's clearly because we are bad pedestrians and this world was built for cars. Any attempt to change it is a war on cars and i will not stand for this /s
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 08:43 PM   #1663
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

People who leave their shopping carts in the parking lot. I saw a woman at the Glamorgan Safeway do just that tonight. She looked like she was a few months pregnant, just showing a little bit, and I have no doubt this was her excuse. ####ing lazy and inconsiderate!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:51 PM   #1664
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
People who leave their shopping carts in the parking lot. I saw a woman at the Glamorgan Safeway do just that tonight. She looked like she was a few months pregnant, just showing a little bit, and I have no doubt this was her excuse. ####ing lazy and inconsiderate!
When I come to power these people will be punished with hard labour
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 10:05 PM   #1665
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Scum of society.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2022, 10:53 PM   #1666
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

People suck.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...nas-gahr-store
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 06:46 AM   #1667
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It's really unfortunate but can see both sides. If a say child ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time the story probably takes another tragic turn where the walrus is still put down but a human also loses their life. The fact is as stated in the article is that;
Quote:
People “behaved like idiots faced with nature”, Gulowsen said.
We all know people do dumb things like try to fee bears and in this instance were trying to swim with a 1300 lb walrus so eventually someone was going to get hurt. If there was a way to transport it back to arctic waters that would be best but I don't know how doable that would have been.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:53 AM   #1668
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Speaking of pedestrian and curb gear grinders. If you are not going to cross the street why are you standing on the corner looking as if you want to cross the street? Just hanging out at the corner ?

I was listening to Willie and the Poor Boys...
Old 08-16-2022, 07:57 AM   #1669
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

La Jolla beach in San Diego is similar. You can get so close to the seals every once and a while one goes after a few people to scare them away.

Last time i was there some college aged kid was splashing water at one sleeping on a rock. Thankfully he was given a mad scolding by a ton of passerbys he ended up leaving
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:03 AM   #1670
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Misuse of the term "euthanasia" GMG. Euthanasia is about relieving pain or suffering. Killing an animal for humans' safety or convenience, even if done humanely, isn't euthanasia.
Cube Inmate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 08:13 AM   #1671
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cube Inmate View Post
Misuse of the term "euthanasia" GMG. Euthanasia is about relieving pain or suffering. Killing an animal for humans' safety or convenience, even if done humanely, isn't euthanasia.
That's the definition as it applies to humans. When euthanizing animals, it just means it's a controlled, painless-as-possible killing versus, like, slitting its throat.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 08:29 AM   #1672
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's really unfortunate but can see both sides. If a say child ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time the story probably takes another tragic turn where the walrus is still put down but a human also loses their life. The fact is as stated in the article is that; We all know people do dumb things like try to fee bears and in this instance were trying to swim with a 1300 lb walrus so eventually someone was going to get hurt. If there was a way to transport it back to arctic waters that would be best but I don't know how doable that would have been.
Right. I’m not upset with the choice to kill the walrus. It’s the people who couldn’t leave it be who suck. They were drooling gawkers who wanted to see the celebrity animal, resulting in its death. #### them.

That the walrus was that far South likely due to climate change is another reason to condemn us as a species.

People really suck.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 11:18 AM   #1673
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I suppose it's a mildly amusing average prank, but maybe don't put clear handsoap in your hand sanitizer bottle.
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 12:09 PM   #1674
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I suppose it's a mildly amusing average prank, but maybe don't put clear handsoap in your hand sanitizer bottle.
While we're on the subject, putting hand sanitizer in your powder room while you already have clear hand soap right beside it. I have been on auto-pilot enough times and "oh goddamnit, this isn't soap". I am literally at the sink to wash my hands, I don't need alcohol-based sanitizer, that's what the soap is supposed to be for.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 08-16-2022, 12:55 PM   #1675
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's really unfortunate but can see both sides. If a say child ends up in the wrong place at the wrong time the story probably takes another tragic turn where the walrus is still put down but a human also loses their life. The fact is as stated in the article is that; We all know people do dumb things like try to fee bears and in this instance were trying to swim with a 1300 lb walrus so eventually someone was going to get hurt. If there was a way to transport it back to arctic waters that would be best but I don't know how doable that would have been.
This seems like the first choice was euthanize.

If the Walrus was aggressively approaching people then I can see the problem but if it’s people aggressively approaching it then euthanizing the people seems more reasonable.

At least with bears it’s address the people problem, close areas affected and let the bear move on, move the bear possibly multiple times and then euthanize. To me this did not meet a reasonable standard of care
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 02:21 PM   #1676
Cube Inmate
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
That's the definition as it applies to humans. When euthanizing animals, it just means it's a controlled, painless-as-possible killing versus, like, slitting its throat.
I admit it's not a completely rigid definition, but I still contend that euthanasia implies the death is for compassionate reasons, not simply that it's done humanely. You don't euthanize cattle for meat... You slaughter them (as painlessly as possible, in theory). Using the term euthanasia sugar-coats the death, IMO. This walrus was "destroyed," or "put down."
Cube Inmate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 10:56 AM   #1677
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

RV brands with tough names are hilarious to me. You’ve got “Raptor” or “Alpha Wolf” on the back of your trailer you haul because you can’t be without any of the comforts of home. Yeah, that screams badass to me.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 11:08 AM   #1678
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://windsorstar.com/news/local-n...-and-run-death

So this guy hits and kills a little boy, leaves him laying like a dog in the street, tries to cover it up and gets a year of house arrest. This is disgusting.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigtmac19 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-17-2022, 11:48 AM   #1679
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post

So this guy hits and kills a little boy, leaves him laying like a dog in the street, tries to cover it up and gets a year of house arrest. This is disgusting.
This is Canada.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2022, 11:57 AM   #1680
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post

Quote:
Murphy told the court that Filiault then attempted to conceal his involvement in the crash by attempting to repair his vehicle, replacing parts and signing a store’s COVID-19 contact tracing sheet with a false name.

The guy took such little responsibility for his crime that he jumped through hoops to conceal his guilt. That's not even punishment for people that are homebodies. How the heck did they come up with that sentence?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote