Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Who should be Captain?
Backlund 240 50.31%
Huberdeau 59 12.37%
Tanev 74 15.51%
Lindholm 42 8.81%
Monahan 8 1.68%
Rasmus 6 1.26%
Somebody else 11 2.31%
Nobody 37 7.76%
Voters: 477. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-08-2022, 09:26 AM   #141
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t like the low guy on the roster or a guy that will be here for only 2-3 more years. Backlund doesn’t fit for me in this role. I am leaning heavily toward Huberdeau since he is the franchise player, paid to be the best and says he wants to be a leader. He is signed for 9 years. I am voting for him
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:35 AM   #142
The Fisher Account
Scoring Winger

Exp:

If you want this team to move on and transition to a new era and identity, you have to make Huberdeau your C.

Love Backs and Tanev as A's, but c'mon.. captain?
The Fisher Account is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:38 AM   #143
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The requirements and attributes of/for the Captain of an NHL team are pretty simple.

Best Leadership skills. Nothing more and nothing less.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:40 AM   #144
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisher Account View Post
If you want this team to move on and transition to a new era and identity, you have to make Huberdeau your C.

Love Backs and Tanev as A's, but c'mon.. captain?
You make it sound like Backlund is a ridiculous choice for team captain. Why is that?

On the contrary one could argue that out of everyone on the roster Backlund is the most obvious choice since he has actually captained a team of elite-level professional players to a championship.

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:42 AM   #145
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The requirements and attributes of/for the Captain of an NHL team are pretty simple.

Best Leadership skills. Nothing more and nothing less.
I think the requirements are even more simple than that: he must hold a permanent roster spot. It's a pretty easy and fairly pointless job.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:44 AM   #146
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Backlund was to be the captain why wouldn't they have named him last season? I wonder if they were holding it as a carrot in negotiations with Tkachuk or even Johnny? With a newly signed 8 year deal Huberdeau seems like an eventual choice given Backlund and Tanev both nearing their mid-30's.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:49 AM   #147
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I think the requirements are even more simple than that: he must hold a permanent roster spot. It's a pretty easy and fairly pointless job.

The good ones can make a profound difference re: setting/ keeping high accountability standards and buy in to system.
Old 08-08-2022, 09:50 AM   #148
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If Backlund was to be the captain why wouldn't they have named him last season? I wonder if they were holding it as a carrot in negotiations with Tkachuk or even Johnny? With a newly signed 8 year deal Huberdeau seems like an eventual choice given Backlund and Tanev both nearing their mid-30's.
I seem to remember that the plan was to name a captain out of training camp, but then it didn't happen, and the season started so well that it essentially became an afterthought.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:52 AM   #149
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The good ones can make a profound difference re: setting/ keeping high accountability standards and buy in to system.
20 years ago? Yes. I am not convinced that it makes any difference anymore. Kids are not the same today as they were in the nineties.

Quote:
Old 08-08-2022, 09:54 AM   #150
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
20 years ago? Yes. I am not convinced that it makes any difference anymore. Kids are not the same today as they were in the nineties.

Well aware of the generational differences. Player Leadership matters...a lot.
Old 08-08-2022, 10:04 AM   #151
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dealing with officials is a big part - only captains and assistants are supposed to talk to them (which is why Tkachuk might not have been a good choice).

For me, it’s Backlund or Tanev. Huberdeau is too new. Let him get to know his teammates before he is given the role. The one thing about Backlund - it took a lot longer than I’d have thought for him to get the A. I always wondered if maybe he didn’t even want the job.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 10:15 AM   #152
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I suspect there were 2 factors.

At the start of the season, depending on how things played out, they were likely open to the idea of reacquiring Gio at the deadline in a deal similar to what the Leafs gave up for him.

Also, as you say, there's also a chance that they were going to offer the C to Tkachuk, but only after he signed a long-term extension.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:12 AM   #153
CsInMyBlood
Franchise Player

Location: F*** me. We're so f***ing good, you check the f***ing standings? Lets f***ing go! F***ing practice!
Exp:

I had posted this article last year when the debate was on who would replace Giordano as the C.

-In 2018 Captained Sweden to a Gold medal at the Worlds. Sweden was perfect with Backlund as captain, running the table to a 10-0 record. Here is some of the article https://www.nhl.com/flames/news/a-go...nt/c-298716768 after winning the gold from his coaches and teammates:

He earned some positive reviews in his first go-round representing Sweden with the 'C'.

"Tremendous job," Sweden head coach Rikard Gronborg said.

"I knew we had a good captain, but he did more than I thought he would do. He took tremendous ownership of the whole process of the players and he was a great link between the coaching staff and the players. Even before, he was doing the scheduling every day. That's the type of player he is. It was easy for us to reach the players because he was such a great link.

"Tremendous hockey player, tremendous person and a great leader."

Johan Garpenlov, Sweden's assistant coach, a three-time skater in past tournaments, and a veteran of 609 NHL games logged with stints with the Detroit Red Wings, San Jose Sharks, Florida Panthers and Atlanta Thrashers, echoed the thought.

"He's done a great job for us," Garpenlov said. "He's our leader, obviously, our captain. On and off the ice he's such a good player. He shows up every game, every shift. He makes the guys feel comfortable out there, even in the dressing room. He's done a great job."

From the coaches perspective, Backlund did a bang-up job.

From his teammates perspective?

Much of the same.

"Just great, great leader," said teammate and Nashville Predators forward Filip Forsberg. "Great player. Obviously playing against him a lot in Calgary, you see the two-way game that he brings. He's got a really high skill set but still one of the best defensive centers in the league.

"Coming in here, he was a guy taking charge, talking a lot, just being vocal in the locker room and leading on the ice. He was one of our best players every game I played here.

"I'm just proud to be his teammate."

The role was natural for Backlund, who in Calgary has sported an 'A' from time to time and was the recipient of the J.R. McCaig Award, given by the Flames to both the player and staff member who best exemplify McCaig's enduring virtues of respect, courtesy and compassion for all individuals he encountered both in his professional and everyday life in March.

Backlund for Selke 2017 2018
Oilers suck.
CsInMyBlood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to CsInMyBlood For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2022, 11:34 AM   #154
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
"I knew we had a good captain, but he did more than I thought he would do. He took tremendous ownership of the whole process of the players and he was a great link between the coaching staff and the players. Even before, he was doing the scheduling every day. That's the type of player he is. It was easy for us to reach the players because he was such a great link.
I remembered this quote when I voted for Backlund, it really embodies what Sutter has been saying about preparation and professionalism.
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:19 PM   #155
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyZ View Post
I could very well be wrong, but my immediate thinking is that for every elite team with a down roster, veteran player as captain, I can probably find you 5-10 elite teams with elite stars as captain.

My memory isnt great, but I cant remember the last time a team won a cup with a Bryce Salvador wearing the C.

There just isnt a great precedent for success there.
Worrying about whether your team's captain is an "elite star" or not is a hallmark of crap teams that go nowhere.

For every "elite team" with "elite star" as captain you'll find lots of teams that were complete crap regardless. E.g. Jack Eichel didn't lead the Sabres anywhere. The Lightning won back-to-back cups in 2020 and 2021, but people forget they were dog#### when Vinny Lecavalier was their captain. Mike Modano in Dallas was an atrocious choice; he'd been the best player on that team for over a decade by the time they made him captain, and he wisely relinquished it two seasons later. Ask any Canucks fan who the Worst. Captain. Ever. is and they'll almost unanimously shout "#### MESSIER!" Alexei Yashin in Ottawa and Long Island? Shayne Corson in Edmonton? Roberto Luongo and his "honourary but official' captaincy in Vancouver? Prior to the Capitals' Cup in 2018 a lot of people said the worst, most undeserving captain in NHL history was Ovechkin.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 12:46 PM   #156
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dustin Brown was not a star, nor anywhere near the best player on his team. Seemed to work out OK.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:25 PM   #157
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

That article about his role on team Sweden certainly paints a picture of a player with elite leadership skills anyways.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 01:37 PM   #158
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would imagine Huberdeau gets the 'C' after training camp. It would be poor form to give it to him before meeting the team.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 02:17 PM   #159
taxbuster
First Line Centre

Exp:

Heart says Monahan (and I hope he has a resurgence and a terrific year).

Right brain says Backlund.

Left brain says Tanev.

Huby after a while makes sense, but I think it would diss (dis?) other player to parachute in a new captain who doesn't know the guy, the style, the coach(es) etc. Give him a year to warm up.

There is no bad choice I don't think.
Old 08-08-2022, 02:22 PM   #160
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxbuster View Post
Heart says Monahan (and I hope he has a resurgence and a terrific year).

Right brain says Backlund.

Left brain says Tanev.

Huby after a while makes sense, but I think it would diss (dis?) other player to parachute in a new captain who doesn't know the guy, the style, the coach(es) etc. Give him a year to warm up.

There is no bad choice I don't think.
If it was going to be Monahan, it shoulda been this season (21-22). He's only got one year left on his deal and there's a chance he never plays in the NHL again.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote