Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2022, 10:58 PM   #161
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have the opportunity right now to transfer to either Nelson or Cranbrook and really want to do it just to get out of the GVRD. It just sucks because I doubt my wife could find work in her field there. My dream is to move to a town though.
Old 08-01-2022, 11:17 PM   #162
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Smaller towns are great for affordability but from what I understand the drug problems still exist, just to a lesser degree, which I'm sure you know.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:48 AM   #163
Zulu29
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nelson isn’t really affordable anymore but it’s a beautiful spot. I agree with you, the coast sucks!
Zulu29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:02 AM   #164
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I have the opportunity right now to transfer to either Nelson or Cranbrook and really want to do it just to get out of the GVRD. It just sucks because I doubt my wife could find work in her field there. My dream is to move to a town though.
My family lives in the Nelson area and I was there for 12 years. If you have any questions let me know! If you plan on frequently traveling to Alberta...or anywhere really I would recommend Cranbrook.
indes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 06:52 AM   #165
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a long time friend that lives there so I am there annually. It's one of those rare cities in BC that hasn't changed or grown much over the decades. The best thing about Cranbrook is that you are close to the US border, Alberta border, and plenty of outdoor activities. It's a halfway town and doesn't have a real economy. You have to be an outdoorsy person to get the most of it because the people aren't overly friendly and the city is below average compared to Okanagan cities. I highly advise spending time there first before committing as it's not for everyone and certainly not me as I don't like it at all. Nelson is better.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 04:52 PM   #166
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Yep, it's changed a lot. You should come down some time! DM me and I'll take you out for a beer!

Just west of Yaletown, all of the streets including Burrard, Hornby, Howe, Granville, Seymour to Richards have pockets of homeless groups now from around Nelson to Drake. They don't stretch all the way down, but random pockets maybe every 2 blocks or so. Some of the pockets disappear by 10AM but some stay throughout the day, including a mini-encampment right out front of St. Paul's, off to the side.

The Westend is also facing similar challenges, along Davie from Burrard down to Denman. And as the other poster mentioned, alleys in Yaletown, downtown and the Westend are like a scene from The Walking Dead at times, usually the late evening times.
I'm looking buy a place downtown and was surprised that it all hit the west end, where I once lived. Now, I'm not sure where I want to own so I'm trying to find a place to rent and get a better lay of the land. Of course, having a dog is making that option seemingly impossible.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 05:44 PM   #167
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

BC Housing CEO resigns, citing threats to his personal safety from NIMBYs.

Quote:
“While one community faces the almost certain prospect of poverty, poor health, violence and premature death, others are now unwilling to provide a welcoming space, a space that could save lives,” he wrote.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 06:56 PM   #168
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I'm looking buy a place downtown and was surprised that it all hit the west end, where I once lived. Now, I'm not sure where I want to own so I'm trying to find a place to rent and get a better lay of the land. Of course, having a dog is making that option seemingly impossible.
The west end is still nice - one of my favorite areas in all of Vancouver. Love the vibe within the square of Davie, Denman, Thurlow and Robson. Tons of high trees to provide nice shade and the communities are great. I think it's a great choice! I'd prefer it over Yaletown.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #169
JohnnyB
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Can't really blame the guy at 61 y/o for wanting to get out of dealing with that and spend time with his grandkids. I hope whoever is next comes in with a lot of resilience.

"If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?"
JohnnyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:48 PM   #170
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

West End is by far my favourite neighborhood in Van. I was right on Nelson and Jervis until last week, when I finally moved to the island.

I love Cumberland though - Comox Valley is an amazing place. Not cheap though.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2022, 07:49 PM   #171
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyB View Post
Can't really blame the guy at 61 y/o for wanting to get out of dealing with that and spend time with his grandkids. I hope whoever is next comes in with a lot of resilience.
True, but sounds like a guy selling a lot of BS too with that quote.
How about acknowledging the concerns NIMBY's are voicing like random attacks, stabbing, attempted beheadings, and insane amounts of property crimes.

Social housing in Vancouver is a massive problem with no obvious answers right now, but pretending people just "don't want to offer a safe space" is horse poop.

Edit: after reading the article, it doesn't seem like that quote alone summarizes his angle and he is acknowledging it's just too complex and dangerous. So fair play to him, go be safe.

Last edited by Winsor_Pilates; 08-02-2022 at 07:54 PM.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2022, 07:50 PM   #172
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
Wish I saw this. Just gave up my dog-friendly rental with a backyard in the West End. It was a gem!
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 12:26 AM   #173
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default BC Lags Behind Other Provinces in Life Satisfaction

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post

Pretty convenient to blame those evil NIMBYs when it probably had more to do with the damning review of BC Housing done a few days ago.

Millions of dollars in contract awards without documentation sounds like Adscam all over again.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2022/07/29/B...Investigation/
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I-Hate-Hulse For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 12:52 AM   #174
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Hate-Hulse View Post
Pretty convenient to blame those evil NIMBYs when it probably had more to do with the damning review of BC Housing done a few days ago.

Millions of dollars in contract awards without documentation sounds like Adscam all over again.

https://thetyee.ca/News/2022/07/29/B...Investigation/
Gross.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:59 AM   #175
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

YEAA!!! we're #1! we're #1 we're #1!

Quote:
Statistics Canada has released its annual report on crime and things are not looking good in the Central Okanagan.
Metro Kelowna, which includes all communities from Lake Country to Peachland, reported a crime rate per 100,000 last year of 11,112.
That is by far the worst crime rate of any census metropolitan area in Canada, and an increase of 10 per cent from 2020. Nationally, the crime rate per 100,000 rose just one per cent to 5,375 in 2021.
Kelowna’s crime wave bucks the provincial trend, with provincial statistics for the Crime Severity Index (92.9) and crime rate (7,486) falling last year by five and four per cent, respectively.
Castanet has requested comment from the Kelowna RCMP.
https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...-Canada#378413

i think my favourite line of the article is the final one... requesting a comment from rcmp. i would love a response like "we can't fix stupid!" or something along those lines.
Old 08-03-2022, 10:24 AM   #176
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc-chris View Post
YEAA!!! we're #1! we're #1 we're #1!

https://www.castanet.net/news/Kelown...-Canada#378413

i think my favourite line of the article is the final one... requesting a comment from rcmp. i would love a response like "we can't fix stupid!" or something along those lines.
But, but, it's only because of all those scummy Albertans that have taken over our idyllic paradise.

Not saying you're saying this bc-chris but I'm sure that'll be the excuse from a bunch of "locals".
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:34 AM   #177
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
But, but, it's only because of all those scummy Albertans that have taken over our idyllic paradise.

Not saying you're saying this bc-chris but I'm sure that'll be the excuse from a bunch of "locals".
I imagine much of the crime is well-heeled and retired Albertans being targeted by scummy locals. It’s not as though the interior of B.C. has a shortage of dirtbags.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2022, 11:45 AM   #178
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

ICBC is the absolute worst, that and the housing situation out here, make it exceptionally enticing to move back to Alberta tbh
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:47 AM   #179
bc-chris
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post

i honestly think it's becuz our "justice" system is a joke. one of my customers is a retired rcmp and he tells stories of how they'd book a guy first thing in the morning, he'd be out by the afternoon and then they'd end their shift by booking the same guy again later that day. they know the vast majority of these people by name becuz they are always dealing with the same people over and over and over again. what's the old saying... 95% of the crime is from the same 5% of the population?
give meaningful sentences for crimes and get these people help/treatment becuz so many of them have substance and or mental illness issues.
Old 08-03-2022, 08:13 PM   #180
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes. These come out every now and then in BC. The fact that these need to go out, when the authorities are not dumb and do realize that some (maybe most) of these guys love the fame they get for "making the list" is a good indication of how dangerous it really is to be next to these guys at a table at a Starbucks.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1554926660536786946

Tags
but ocean and mountains , but top 3 in world