Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2022, 09:58 AM   #921
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Dang there's a lot of fertilizer usage for a small area in Quebec. The cynic in me thinks this isn't likely going to be overly enforced on them.
Probably has a lot to do with the amount of dairy farms.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:00 AM   #922
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/scc...sion-1.6535127

Makes sense. Good ruling for sexual assault cases.
I agree, I think its a long overdue and pretty common sense ruling.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2022, 11:06 AM   #923
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteMoss View Post
According to the graph on the discussion document - https://agriculture.canada.ca/en/abo...culture-sector

a 30% reduction takes us back to like 2006 levels of synthetic fertilizer.

I'm not going to pretend to know anything about it, but at least at a surface level its not that far back where we using less.

Graphs also show less emissions in the west compared to Ontario, Quebec and the maritimes.
I don' pretend to know anything about it but how does our food production (volume) in 2006 compare to today? We may have used less in 2006 but did we produce 30% less food compared to today? I have no idea btw.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 11:17 AM   #924
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
I don' pretend to know anything about it but how does our food production (volume) in 2006 compare to today? We may have used less in 2006 but did we produce 30% less food compared to today? I have no idea btw.
The discussion article says yes - we do produce more now. Some of the gains are because we produce a lot more canola and corn now than we did before and less grains and canola/corn are more fertilizer intensive. But they do make that point that production has improved.

Its a good document and makes most of the points you'd expect. Its not just 'we are reducing this by 30% and screw you farmers'.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 12:42 PM   #925
Stranger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Yields are up since 2006. We have better varieties that produce more per acre.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 05:30 PM   #926
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Save the environment. Eat beef.

No artificial fertilizer. Much less fossil fuels to produce. Great carbon capture.

It’s kinda funny how people see beef as being so bad, but in reality, it’s not.
Old 07-29-2022, 06:19 PM   #927
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
Save the environment. Eat beef.

No artificial fertilizer. Much less fossil fuels to produce. Great carbon capture.

It’s kinda funny how people see beef as being so bad, but in reality, it’s not.
Is this supposed to be in green text? You couldn't be more wrong if not.

From the article: It takes about 54 calories worth of fossil fuel to produce 1 calorie worth of beef protein, while it takes only two calories of fossil fuel to produce one calorie worth of soy protein.

Not to mention the methane and water use

https://www.mcgill.ca/oss/article/sc...ntal-cost-meat
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:29 PM   #928
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post

From the article: It takes about 54 calories worth of fossil fuel to produce 1 calorie worth of beef protein, while it takes only two calories of fossil fuel to produce one calorie worth of soy protein.

Pretty sure that post you're replying to was made to... Ahem... Trigger the libz.
Izzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:43 PM   #929
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Izzle View Post
Pretty sure that post you're replying to was made to... Ahem... Trigger the libz.
Ah. Right over my head. And I love a good steak.
Old 07-29-2022, 09:11 PM   #930
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

But what about all those kids at bovine u?

Please somebody think of the children
Old 07-29-2022, 09:25 PM   #931
CroCop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

30% reduction in fertilizer use is a joke. Farmers these days are stewards of their land and are more business minded than ever. Bottom line is fertilizer that is being applied now is what a crop needs for optimal yield and health. With the cost of fertilizer what it is, good farmers are not over applying and leaving left over mostly in regards to N. Phos levels are usually applied to what a crop typically uses in a season and it’s critical for germination and plant vigor. No farmer is going decrease what they think is needed for their crop to be successful and profitable. Can’t see how it could possibly be enforced in a free market either. Cute law but farmers will continue to operate how they see fit.
CroCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 09:33 PM   #932
CroCop
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Double post ��
CroCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 10:21 PM   #933
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
30% reduction in fertilizer use is a joke. Farmers these days are stewards of their land and are more business minded than ever. Bottom line is fertilizer that is being applied now is what a crop needs for optimal yield and health. With the cost of fertilizer what it is, good farmers are not over applying and leaving left over mostly in regards to N. Phos levels are usually applied to what a crop typically uses in a season and it’s critical for germination and plant vigor. No farmer is going decrease what they think is needed for their crop to be successful and profitable. Can’t see how it could possibly be enforced in a free market either. Cute law but farmers will continue to operate how they see fit.
I mean, I agree with you that this is ridiculous. But the government could limit the amount of fertilizer applied if they wanted to - either by taxing it to reduce use or by a simple quota system where there is a maximum amount of fertilizer that can be sold in Canada.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 07:41 AM   #934
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who kidding here. Of course it will be a tax.

Isn’t that how the they do everything ???
Old 07-30-2022, 07:45 AM   #935
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post

He actually locally grown grass fed beef. If you take time to research where your food comes from and make a point to buy it from farmers & ranchers that practice sustainable land management, your carbon footprint is MUCH lower.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:47 AM   #936
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I mean, I agree with you that this is ridiculous. But the government could limit the amount of fertilizer applied if they wanted to - either by taxing it to reduce use or by a simple quota system where there is a maximum amount of fertilizer that can be sold in Canada.
It will almost certainly be a tax.

And everyone thought they would stop with the carbon tax....

lol.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:54 AM   #937
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

Isn’t this nitrogen debate currently going on in the Netherlands, it was on talk radio last weekend and the first I heard about it. They’re actually trying to buy out farmers, and where is food supposed to come from.

Last edited by Macman; 07-30-2022 at 08:03 AM.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:34 AM   #938
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
30% reduction in fertilizer use is a joke.

30% reduction in emissions from fertilizer doesn't need to equate to a 30% reduction in fertilizer use.
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022, 08:51 AM   #939
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
He actually locally grown grass fed beef. If you take time to research where your food comes from and make a point to buy it from farmers & ranchers that practice sustainable land management, your carbon footprint is MUCH lower.
For sure. But not the industry as a whole. The very tiny number of consumers and farmers that operate this way doesn't make a dent in the global livestock industry's emissions.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:16 AM   #940
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macman View Post
Isn’t this nitrogen debate currently going on in the Netherlands, it was on talk radio last weekend and the first I heard about it. They’re actually trying to buy out farmers, and where is food supposed to come from.
They’re going a lot further than our government. A permanent 30 per cent cull of livestock is no joke. These sorts of heavy-handed measures are going to be increasingly contentious.

Quote:
Dutch government proposals for tackling nitrogen emissions indicate a radical cut in livestock - they estimate 11,200 farms will have to close and another 17,600 farmers will have to significantly reduce their livestock.

Other proposals include a reduction in intensive farming and the conversion to sustainable "green farms".

As such, the relocation or buyout of farmers is almost inevitable, but forced buyouts are a scenario many hope to avoid…

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-62335287
Quote:

In June, the Netherlands unveiled a world-leading target to halve emissions of the gasses, as well as other nitrogen compounds that come from fertilizers, by 2030, to tackle their environmental and climate impacts. The government said it was leading an “unavoidable transition” for agriculture. Farmers can reduce the release of nitrogen compounds by changing how they manage their cows: feeding them less protein, or using water to dilute manure, for example. But the target is expected to require a 30% reduction in overall livestock numbers, and experts say many farms will have to shut down. Farmers are demanding that the government rethink the plan before it becomes law later this year.

Trienke Elshof, a dairy farmer with 250 cows in the northern province of Friesland, says farmers feel blindsided: for decades, governments have encouraged them to increase yields. Meanwhile, other high-polluting industries, such as aviation, construction, and transport, have yet to face such severe environmental rules. “We know we have to do something about nitrogen, but not in this top-down way, and not at this speed,” she says. “It feels like they want to get rid of all the farmers in the Netherlands.”

https://time.com/6201951/dutch-farme...limate-action/

Last edited by CliffFletcher; 07-30-2022 at 09:18 AM.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post: