Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2022, 10:56 AM   #241
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Its not cheap in Canada because of lack of competition.

Just like the telecom sector, we product our oligopolies.
It's also not cheap due to all the various fees, surcharges, and taxes. Airfares themselves are (or were) pretty reasonable.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 11:57 AM   #242
Scornfire
First Line Centre

Exp:

Cheaper to fly out of country than to go from Kelowna to Calgary most of the year /eyeroll
Scornfire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scornfire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2022, 12:09 PM   #243
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scornfire View Post
Cheaper to fly out of country than to go from Kelowna to Calgary most of the year /eyeroll
Flying my son home a few times a year from Kelowna...can confirm.

Air Travel within Canada is preposterously expensive.

We do love us our taxes and fees.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 09:57 PM   #244
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
Air travel wasn’t cheap even with the low wages
It might return to pricing that was similar several decades ago where it was a big deal to fly. I’d be ok with that if it meant better reliability. Bonus points to weed out some trashy people.
Johnny199r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2022, 10:02 PM   #245
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
It might return to pricing that was similar several decades ago where it was a big deal to fly. I’d be ok with that if it meant better reliability. Bonus points to weed out some trashy people.
No way, outside of paying for direct or better flight times I will always take the cheapest flight available in a race to the bottom. Quality of service is not improving because price is more important than comfort.

People love to complain about lost luggage, delays, cancelled flights, bad customer service, but in the end cheapest appears to win.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 09:36 AM   #246
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really, pricing out working class and lower middle class people from air travel is a positive thing for you?
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cowboy89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 10:17 AM   #247
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I think one of the things the airlines are desperately trying to figure out is how to balance the unprecedented accessibility of air travel these days with the lucrative business travel market.

There are people who think that 250$ is expensive for a round trip to Vancouver, and those people are now flooding terminals ready to travel again. So now you see airlines like Flair, Swoop, Lynx, Canada Jetlines and who knows who else saturating the market.

Westjet spent 5 years trying to establish a hub and spoke model to feed international wide body expansion, but when people stop flying, and business travellers start meeting on Zoom those 787s just flush dolla bills down the toilet. Now they are retreating to the west to regroup in the face of staffing issues. Westjet was a low cost model and has been trying to dip their toe in the business market. Air Canada is a traditional legacy carrier and dipped their toe in the low cost market with Rouge. The pandemic caused Westjet to retreat and pause 787 expansion, and it caused Air Canada to park their low cost arm.

It's all crazy when you think about it, all of these hotshot CEOs and upstart airlines come in guns a blazing with their busines plans, yet they are all just trying to capture a fickle market of traveller's. Millions of Canadians would sit on a milk crate for 8 hours to Rome is it meant they saved 5 bucks on their fare. Yet the Canadian government uses airports like their personal ATMs and NAV CANADA continues to charge crazy fees.

That was all pretty rambly, all that being said, everyone is looking singularity for someone to blame for the current state of the Air Travel industry, when you can pretty much blame everyone, top to bottom. Government to Airlines to contractors. The next 10 years are going to be very interesting
sa226 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 10:43 AM   #248
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Everytime I have to fly I am amazed at how inefficient the entire ordeal is.

Basically a bunch of time is spent sitting around waiting.

Instead of fixing the inefficiencies, they find a way to give you lounge access so you can wait in comfort and style with free food and drinks.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 12:01 PM   #249
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
Really, pricing out working class and lower middle class people from air travel is a positive thing for you?
If it means less people that don’t know how to behave in public then sign me up.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:07 PM   #250
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa226 View Post
I think one of the things the airlines are desperately trying to figure out is how to balance the unprecedented accessibility of air travel these days with the lucrative business travel market.

There are people who think that 250$ is expensive for a round trip to Vancouver, and those people are now flooding terminals ready to travel again. So now you see airlines like Flair, Swoop, Lynx, Canada Jetlines and who knows who else saturating the market.

Westjet spent 5 years trying to establish a hub and spoke model to feed international wide body expansion, but when people stop flying, and business travellers start meeting on Zoom those 787s just flush dolla bills down the toilet. Now they are retreating to the west to regroup in the face of staffing issues. Westjet was a low cost model and has been trying to dip their toe in the business market. Air Canada is a traditional legacy carrier and dipped their toe in the low cost market with Rouge. The pandemic caused Westjet to retreat and pause 787 expansion, and it caused Air Canada to park their low cost arm.

It's all crazy when you think about it, all of these hotshot CEOs and upstart airlines come in guns a blazing with their busines plans, yet they are all just trying to capture a fickle market of traveller's. Millions of Canadians would sit on a milk crate for 8 hours to Rome is it meant they saved 5 bucks on their fare. Yet the Canadian government uses airports like their personal ATMs and NAV CANADA continues to charge crazy fees.

That was all pretty rambly, all that being said, everyone is looking singularity for someone to blame for the current state of the Air Travel industry, when you can pretty much blame everyone, top to bottom. Government to Airlines to contractors. The next 10 years are going to be very interesting
International overseas travel is really lucrative for airlines. That’s why Air Canada tries to really market international flights to Americans with stopovers to Toronto or Montreal on their way to Europe. Thats what makes them a lot money, not flying someone from Calgary to Vancouver or Toronto. Business class is the other way airlines make a ton of money, that can apply to any flight, but especially overseas flights.

I agree with your post, lots of people these days think it should cost a few hundred bucks to fly. I personally think airlines will be changing their model - increasing prices to account for fuel and the inevitable pay raises for staff in order to bring more stability to their airline. Right now, they can’t attract and keep front line staff. Hard to change that with cheap tickets.

Last edited by Johnny199r; 07-22-2022 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:15 PM   #251
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
If it means less people that don’t know how to behave in public then sign me up.
I'll take an 8 hour flight beside the average lower middle class person than an entitled rich loser any day of the week.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 12:52 PM   #252
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
It would certainly be a step to cut down on carbon emissions. You'd eliminate 2-3% worldwide emissions right there.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 01:13 PM   #253
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I'll take an 8 hour flight beside the average lower middle class person than an entitled rich loser any day of the week.
I just want someone who’s going to keep reasonably quiet and have manners. I could care less how much money they make.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Johnny199r For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2022, 02:29 PM   #254
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Back behind the curtain PepsiFree!
topfiverecords is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2022, 10:15 AM   #255
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Toronto’s airport is now worst in the world for delays. The reason may not be what you think

http://https://www.thestar.com/busin...bly-wrong.html

This is the best, most comprehensive explanation of the problems with Air Travel out of Pearson airport in Toronto.

The main culprit is that Air Canada ramped their schedule of flights at the last second really quickly this year (after Omicron settled down, far later than how flight schedules are usually made), adding tons of flights that staffing and infastructure simply wasn't in place for (including airlines, airport and 3rd party staff/infastructure). It's easy to lay off the whole industry on quick notice, but it's hard to hire back an entire industry on short notice.

Air Canada also pursued a policy called "sixth freedom" whereby they added lots of flights to the U.S, including 2nd tier cities, in the hopes of attracting Americans to fly through Toronto to overseas destinations (that's where the money is at). This bunched together arrivals at Pearson creating congestion at certain times.

Additionally, airlines, airports and government have all been doing their own thing and blaming each other. There was no one in charge of this system. They just put their heads down, did whatever they wanted and then came up with a PR strategy instead of being honest - "it's entirely the federal government's fault due to their Covid testing!!!".

There is a level of blame to go around for every player in the aviation system for poor decision making (government, airports, 3rd party vendors, airlines) but the biggest problem by a country mile has been airlines ramping up their flight offerings overnight knowing that the staff and infastructure is not remotely close to being there to be able to provide the service and refusing to be honest about it because they see $$$$$.
Old 07-23-2022, 11:30 AM   #256
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Business and first class subsidizes the rest of us. Fewer rich people flying means higher prices for everyone else.

But really, there’s never been a cheaper time to fly or more people flying. In 1983, only 22 per cent of people flew even once in a calendar year. Today around half of people do.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:34 AM   #257
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

And 100 years ago no one flew at all! It’s also totally irrelevant to the current crisis at Canadian airports and in the airline industry.

30 years ago most people didn’t have internet or cell phones. Is that somehow relevant to high telecom prices in Canada? Who could say? But it’s important!
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 11:51 AM   #258
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
And 100 years ago no one flew at all! It’s also totally irrelevant to the current crisis at Canadian airports and in the airline industry.

30 years ago most people didn’t have internet or cell phones. Is that somehow relevant to high telecom prices in Canada? Who could say? But it’s important!
That didn't come off the way you think it did.
Old 07-23-2022, 01:38 PM   #259
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
That didn't come off the way you think it did.
That doesn’t even make sense. I wrote exactly what I meant to write.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 01:47 PM   #260
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Travelled through Pearson twice this week. Nothing exciting happened. Breezed through security and my flights all left and arrived on time.
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote