Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #1641
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison View Post
The arena deal is f***ed up because of the mayor we had/mayor we have now. Any other thinking is ludicrous
Shouldn't you be burning a jersey right now?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:02 PM   #1642
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
You’re saying that Tre not trading him last year was because of handcuffs…therefore he is not to blame, because obviously he is such a good GM that he would have traded him. That’s a very circular argument.
It's not the argument being made.

No GM has authority to trade his franchise player without the OK from ownership. If the decision was outside of Treliving's authority, it cannot be used to judge him one way or the other.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #1643
Cole436
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm angry, probably just as angry as most people here. However, Johnny has always come off of as a sensitive kid who is genuine and cares.

I think someone on the Flames team really ####ed up here and I'm willing to bet it Murray Edwards himself. I've never heard a good thing about him and the second I heard he got involved in negotiations my stomach flipped.

I'm not willing to let the Flames off the hook here. I think it's likely this entire negotiation was a complete cluster#### the minute Edwards entered the room.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #1644
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwiches View Post
This. She moved the goal posts.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Nothing to do with material costs increasing by 50%+ at all...
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:03 PM   #1645
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
The arena deal is f***ed up because of the mayor we had/mayor we have now. Any other thinking is ludicrous
No the deal is gone because the Flames agreed to pay for any cost overruns, didn't want to pay for escalating construction costs, and blamed the City for things that were always part of their responsibility that they either knew about, or should have known about.
TopChed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #1646
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
How about doom and gloom? How about negative Nancy? Debbie downer?
How about any of the terms you elect to apply to people who look at the game differently?
Being pessimistic is a much lesser insult than bought and paid for or homer in my mind.

This is a fan forum.

I'm not going to lose sleep to the same degree for those that seem to frolic with delight when things go poorly getting called out.

Do with that what you will.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #1647
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Right, because money was never a factor. Johnny wanted to live out in the eastern time zone for his family. I actually respect that over say a guy who just chases after the all mighty dollar.
Yeah I felt that way too when I thought he was going to PHI/NJ/NYI/NYR. But now that it's Columbus, I see it differently. That's really not that close, he's most likely still having to fly to see his family.

Between that and stringing the Flames along until the 11th hour even though its come out he knew "early on" he wasn't coming back to Calgary, and this leaves a sour taste in my mouth. He's so Tavares now - only worse. At least Tavares just went home to his childhood pj's team. Johnny's random (seemingly desperate) choice is so much more insulting.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #1648
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
Nope. Everything to do with making it much more eco friendly. Do some research.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #1649
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Because if you are open to re-signing you re-sign when it’s clearly the best offer. And from his answers now, it’s clear he never was going to take Calgary’s offer even though it was the best.

I’ll put it to you: what evidence do you have that he was being “very upfront”. The results say he was “very disingenuous “.
Last year there was only one team he could receive an offer from and it was the Flames. Johnny admitted that a deal was almost completed prior to the season starting. Why bother negotiating and wasting your own time if you know you’re just going to leave in the offseason anyway.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:05 PM   #1650
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too blame the thing I hated previously for this happening.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #1651
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Shouldn't you be burning a jersey right now?
Doesnt take long. Any of your sh*tty takes u wanna throw in?
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:06 PM   #1652
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah and the Flames would’ve been the poster boy of re-signing your own players to higher cap hits this offseason.

The truth is, the Oilers now have the same cast of characters coming back who beat the Flames in 5. The Flames on the otherhand were going to have to trade away depth and would not have been better this coming season. So the math theoretically would favor the Oilers here.

In the end, it’s probably as simple as they have McDavid + Draisaitl and we don’t. Just like how the Avalanche have Makar and McKinnon or Tampa has Kucherov, Hedman and Vasilevsky. We just don’t/didn’t have the same horses to compete in the playoffs against these superstar-laden teams.
Keep moving the goalposts.

Also, the Oilers haven't re-signed all their players yet either. They too have cap constraints.

The Flames had a bad series against the Oilers, it happens. But the Oilers have done nothing to justify your lofty praise.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #1653
Wolfman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole436 View Post
I'm angry, probably just as angry as most people here. However, Johnny has always come off of as a sensitive kid who is genuine and cares.

I think someone on the Flames team really ####ed up here and I'm willing to bet it Murray Edwards himself. I've never heard a good thing about him and the second I heard he got involved in negotiations my stomach flipped.

I'm not willing to let the Flames off the hook here. I think it's likely this entire negotiation was a complete cluster#### the minute Edwards entered the room.
Why didn't he sign in Jersey then? His camp isn't off the hook either.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:07 PM   #1654
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Nope. Everything to do with making it much more eco friendly. Do some research.
You believe what you but that was totally an excuse to get out of it. CSEC agreed to take on cost overages and material and labour costs went bananas. The mayor was dumb for giving them an out but I think CSEC would have weaseled out of it either way.

Do some research
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #1655
Jiffy Loob
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Gaudreau says, "I always kind of dreamed about playing a tad closer to home, but I mean, it didn't matter where I was signing."

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/gaudre...n-leave-flames
Jiffy Loob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #1656
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah and the Flames would’ve been the poster boy of re-signing your own players to higher cap hits this offseason.

The truth is, the Oilers now have the same cast of characters coming back who beat the Flames in 5. The Flames on the otherhand were going to have to trade away depth and would not have been better this coming season. So the math theoretically would favor the Oilers here.

In the end, it’s probably as simple as they have McDavid + Draisaitl and we don’t. Just like how the Avalanche have Makar and McKinnon or Tampa has Kucherov, Hedman and Vasilevsky. We just don’t/didn’t have the same horses to compete in the playoffs against these superstar-laden teams.
am i on the wrong site? wtf does this have to do with anything?
also, and this is an honest question that may sound dumb, are you an oilers fan?
Old 07-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #1657
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Do hockey players get paid for endorsements?
Trivial amounts compared to their salary, and most of the endorsement money is actually in Canada. According to Forbes, the only top-paid player in the U.S. who also makes a lot of endorsement income is Crosby.

Quote:
Is there outside cap money involved?
Not allowed under the CBA. If a player gets money off the cap, it means it's not being accounted for as part of the players' collective 50% and everybody else pays more escrow. The PA takes an extremely dim view of that.

Quote:
Johnny Hockey is pretty much the face of American Hockey.
He is not. There is no ‘American Hockey’. It's a local sport, and fans in different localities don't really pay all that much attention to players in other regions outside of the playoffs or the Olympics.

Quote:
The chances of him doing a National Life insurance commercial has gone up a significant amount.
National Life would want a spokesman that more than 5% of their target audience have heard of.
Old 07-14-2022, 12:08 PM   #1658
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Last year there was only one team he could receive an offer from and it was the Flames. Johnny admitted that a deal was almost completed prior to the season starting. Why bother negotiating and wasting your own time if you know you’re just going to leave in the offseason anyway.
Because you are being disingenuous and driving up the price for other teams. Or you just can’t give bad news to people. Or because Lewis Gross is hoping the Flames make a stupid offer than you can’t refuse, like $12M (some people here would have been happy to pay that).

The results speak for themselves. Johnny said he knew at a very early time that he wasn’t staying. But let’s say. It was after the start of the season. Why not be upfront then? Give the team time?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #1659
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
The material costs increased because of delays with getting this deal done... and also due to supply chain issues and inflation caused by the pandemic and worldwide shutdowns.

You don't ever go into a business agreement by changing the initially agreed cost, and then expect that the other party will be happy to accept it.

If this team goes into a rebuild I would not be surprised if ownership moves this team to a friendlier city like Houston. At the end of the day a product is being sold on the ice and owners want to protect that product.

Last edited by littlereddevil; 07-14-2022 at 12:12 PM.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 12:09 PM   #1660
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I mean the same year, sorry. No arena and no Johnny, maybe because of Edwards being a hothead? I dunno, but that would suck and spell bad things for our entire future with him as an owner.
On the plus side, the key to Chicago and Tampa's resurgences was replacing a ####ty owner who drove the teams into the ground with someone competent.

So, we're halfway there.

Tags
incels outing themselves