Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #1561
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Alright, I don’t have the time to reply to everyone’s post. But seriously, does anyone here honestly believe that the Flames, even with Gaudreau, had any chance of beating McDavid-Draisaitl? The Flames do not have playoff performers of this calibre.

I thought the Oilers outclassed the Flames in the playoffs. If Markstrom wasn’t so bad, maybe it could’ve been 6 or 7. But the Oilers have Markstrom’s number, he’s crapped the bed against them for 2 straight seasons.

So where exactly was the Flames’ advantage? We don’t have the superstar advantage. We don’t have the goaltending advantage. None of our D had any answers for the half broken Draisaitl and Connor McDavid.

In the end, the Flames would’ve needed to definitively improve to beat the Oilers. We weren’t going to be able to do that with our bad cap situation while the Oilers at the very least stayed the same. Gaudreau or no Gaudreau, the Flames were not beating the Oilers IMO, especially with the way the refs changed the way they call games now in the playoffs which severely tilts the game in favor pf McDavid and the Oilers.
Meh, go start a thread on HFOil about how good the Oilers are lol
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bonded For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 11:34 AM   #1562
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonded View Post
I no longer blame Treliving at all. I think Gaudreau's camp purposefully misled him at this point. He was never going to sign here if was willing to go to Columbus for less term and money.
Yeah but its up to Flames management to understand and deal with that risk. Everyone knows a pending UFA of his stature has all the leverage. Gaudreau's weird decision doesn't absolve the Flames of getting caught off guard and left at the altar bewildered. Whether he went to Columbus, or somewhere more understandable, they knew him leaving was a possibility and should have a contingency plan in place. His strange decision after the fact has no bearing on their preparation it.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:35 AM   #1563
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

that meeting on Tuesday must have really gone off the rails. How I'd love to know what exactly happened there ...
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 11:35 AM   #1564
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Johnny doesn’t want to be in Calgary anymore

The true reason probably hurts someone so just leave it at that
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #1565
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

He didn't want to be in Calgary from day 1! Calgary was just a stepping stone to make sure he can get the contract he wants and where in the eastern division teams.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #1566
iggyloob12
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The one thing Johnny's presser performance has me questioning is how the heck did he fool the Flames into thinking re-signing was a possibility? He's too awkward to be a good liar!
iggyloob12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:36 AM   #1567
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

So if it was that clear that it was best not to be in Calgary, why the eff didn't he just tell them that earlier.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:37 AM   #1568
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Business egos can be a bitch. Prevents seeing the forest for the trees. Would love to hear an explanation from one of the parties but I know it would be some filtered PR junk.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #1569
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Johnny doesn’t want to be in Calgary anymore

Agree.

And since that's the case, 'Hey Johnny, don't let the door hit you on the way out'. (Let's save the Johnny hitting for Zadorov)
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #1570
littlereddevil
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Alright, I don’t have the time to reply to everyone’s post. But seriously, does anyone here honestly believe that the Flames, even with Gaudreau, had any chance of beating McDavid-Draisaitl? The Flames do not have playoff performers of this calibre.

I thought the Oilers outclassed the Flames in the playoffs. If Markstrom wasn’t so bad, maybe it could’ve been 6 or 7. But the Oilers have Markstrom’s number, he’s crapped the bed against them for 2 straight seasons.

So where exactly was the Flames’ advantage? We don’t have the superstar advantage. We don’t have the goaltending advantage. None of our D had any answers for the half broken Draisaitl and Connor McDavid.

In the end, the Flames would’ve needed to definitively improve to beat the Oilers. We weren’t going to be able to do that with our bad cap situation while the Oilers at the very least stayed the same. Gaudreau or no Gaudreau, the Flames were not beating the Oilers IMO, especially with the way the refs changed the way they call games now in the playoffs which severely tilts the game in favor pf McDavid and the Oilers.
True.

Let's be honest, the Flames only realistic chance of winning the cup will be IF McDavid and Draisaitl leave after their current contracts expire. Until then, the Flames have no answer. They look shell-shocked every time they play against these two. Until we basically draft / develop our version of MacKinnon / Makar, we have no chance.

Perhaps a rebuild is the best decision this organization could make in the next year if it looks like Tkachuk won't re-sign long-term. Find a new core to build this team around and become competitive again 5-6 years from now when (hopefully) McDavid and Draisatil have left for greener pastures.
littlereddevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #1571
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

My prediction - some people they are close to are unvaccinated and can't get up to Canada easily.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #1572
Slanter
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
Or maybe it would hurt all of us
Slanter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:38 AM   #1573
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
So if it was that clear that it was best not to be in Calgary, why the eff didn't he just tell them that earlier.
That’s the thing that has everyone up in arms. A lot of the parties aren’t being truthful here. I still think he wanted to feed it to Tre. I’ll theorize he was negotiated with harshly in the past.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #1574
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

My big takeaway from these answers is holy hell he should have prepared better answers or been coached on what to say.

Absolutely destroying his legacy and any good will the fanbase had for him. The literal polar opposite of Iginla's departure and long-lasting legacy.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #1575
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Of course Columbus had him on their list - every team had him on the list.

But by all accounts, Gaudreau's team contacted them, which caught them off guard.
Correct. That’s clear from the quotes. They were caught off guard that they were his top choice and reached out. Not that they were on his list of potential destinations.

But not every team had him on their list of targets. Most teams had no cap room to even make an offer.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #1576
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlereddevil View Post
True.

Let's be honest, the Flames only realistic chance of winning the cup will be IF McDavid and Draisaitl leave after their current contracts expire. Until then, the Flames have no answer. They look shell-shocked every time they play against these two. Until we basically draft / develop our version of MacKinnon / Makar, we have no chance.

Perhaps a rebuild is the best decision this organization could make in the next year if it looks like Tkachuk won't re-sign long-term. Find a new core to build this team around and become competitive again 5-6 years from now when (hopefully) McDavid and Draisatil have left for greener pastures.
Settle down please. They look shell-shocked probably because the goalie was letting in every 5th shot. The Kings took the Oilers to 7. They aren't some unstoppable juggernaught.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #1577
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
Yeah but its up to Flames management to understand and deal with that risk. Everyone knows a pending UFA of his stature has all the leverage. Gaudreau's weird decision doesn't absolve the Flames of getting caught off guard and left at the altar bewildered. Whether he went to Columbus, or somewhere more understandable, they knew him leaving was a possibility and should have a contingency plan in place. His strange decision after the fact has no bearing on their preparation it.
I mean what is the contingency plan though, pre-emptively trade him last summer after he came off some subpar seasons?
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #1578
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

“Best for us not to go back to Calgary” really seems like it’s either the pressure or something particular about the team. Or maybe Canada itself (which is a little odd given Guy Gaudreau grew up on the border).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #1579
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a disappointment Gaudreau turned out to be in the end.

Good riddance. Hopefully he never sniffs the the playoffs in Columbus.

Hopefully the dome boos him mercilessly.

Never thought I'd lump him in with Adam "piece of crap" Fox, but here we are.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2022, 11:40 AM   #1580
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Maybe some of you dorks can go in on a group buy of Oilers jerseys. Pathetic.
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Burning Beard For This Useful Post:

Tags
incels outing themselves