Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-11-2022, 09:24 AM   #841
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
So we went to stampede this AM, knowing it would be crowded AF, and yes I realize this is a lame bitch but for something so hyped there needs to be a concerted effort to make the experience as good as can be.

I do wonder if the Stampede isn’t a little overdue for some reevaluating it’s operations, and limiting capacity a bit more. There needs to be a little less of the exact same food vendors, spaces a little more, with line control and designated walkways. I do quite well in crowds, but I can see how anyone who went out of their way to bring a family would have had a bad experience, spending more time trying to move along than actually enjoying any of the events, most of which we were told were at capacity until the evening. I mean, we didn’t really care because my daughter was able to see the horses in the stables and that’s all I wanted, but it would be disappointing as a ‘family trip’. Maybe it was extra tight because of the BMO expansion or something.

By far the worst offenders were the massively overflowing garbage cans all along the sidewalks leading up to the park. 10am and trash heaps blowing all over. Get it together City, you ####ing know waste disposal is going to be a big deal at an event largely centred around stupid food consumption.

Also way overdue to do something about the railroad restricting access to the parking lots. Sort of felt bad for anyone in a car today, because it all naturally bottlenecks big time and with the Ramsay access closed it looked like people would have spent an hour just to move a few blocks.
Given the last two years, I think the Stampede is just happy to see things pick back up tbh. It was never a given considering how things have gone.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:01 AM   #842
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Tapatalk in general rgmg

What POS phone are people using that the normal browser doesn't work?

Is there a mobile version of CP or are you using a tablet or something?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 10:12 AM   #843
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Is there a mobile version of CP or are you using a tablet or something?
Nope, just Chrome on my phone

Spoiler!
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 10:44 AM   #844
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Maybe free days are a bad idea in general. Yes you want people in, maybe have more half-price days or $5 days. It should be something just to get the crowds down a bit.

Like today, have a half price Monday before 2pm. Monday's the slowest day anyways, instead of cramming everyone in on Sunday breakfast day.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:15 AM   #845
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Oh man, isn’t that annoying. Like, yes I have it but no I’m not taking my wallet out of my pocket now. I’m scanning my items fool.

They just put in new machines at our location and I was falsely hoping that they wouldn’t still do that.
At Westhills Safeway the cashiers used to insist on getting your Airmiles card before scanning your groceries, so you had to take your wallet out twice. One of them told me their manager required it and they could get in trouble if they did it at the end. Thankfully that seems to have stopped.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:55 AM   #846
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's the worst when people are literally standing waiting for the cashier to scan all their items and then when it comes time to pay, THEN they start to pull out the wallet/dig around in the purse to find their card or worse cash.

Like for ####s sake, did you not realize that situation was coming. What the #### were you expecting to happen? Just walk away and get all your groceries for free?
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chemgear For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 11:58 AM   #847
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
still better than the ones at Shopper's that speak to you and everyone else using self-checkout, using the most grating voice too.
I had to laugh cause I stopped into shoppers ten mins after reading your post and was greeted by a self checkout screaming at a customer on the other side of the store, lol. Man, those are loud.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 11:59 AM   #848
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Also, any store that no longer sells plastic bags at the till should remove the step asking for how many bags.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:05 PM   #849
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
It's the worst when people are literally standing waiting for the cashier to scan all their items and then when it comes time to pay, THEN they start to pull out the wallet/dig around in the purse to find their card or worse cash.

Like for ####s sake, did you not realize that situation was coming. What the #### were you expecting to happen? Just walk away and get all your groceries for free?
People that have been standing in line for five minutes right in front of the menu finally get to the cashier and have no idea what to order and take forever to decide. A lot of people simply aren't very proactive.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #850
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Maybe free days are a bad idea in general. Yes you want people in, maybe have more half-price days or $5 days. It should be something just to get the crowds down a bit.

Like today, have a half price Monday before 2pm. Monday's the slowest day anyways, instead of cramming everyone in on Sunday breakfast day.

Why would the Stampede ever want fewer people to attend just to get the crowds down a bit?

If people really want to go on a less busy day, they’d just pay full price to go on a non-free day. If you’re too cheap to pay, expect crowds; otherwise pay admission and enjoy.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 12:29 PM   #851
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
Tapatalk in general rgmg

What POS phone are people using that the normal browser doesn't work?
I use my Chrome browser to view CP on my phone, but that freaking Tapatalk banner always appear on top trying to entice me to download it. Heck no!!

Is there a way to get rid of that stupid banner once and for all?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:03 PM   #852
Knut

Exp:

Put the free day during the week. The weekends do not need free anything to fill up the park.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 01:14 PM   #853
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Also, any store that no longer sells plastic bags at the till should remove plastic packaging from produce.
#### you, Safeway et al. No problem at all selling produce inexplicably individually wrapped in plastic. Ead
Old 07-11-2022, 01:36 PM   #854
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bulk food style for the fresh fruit and meats. A big old heap of unpackaged raspberries. Bring your own tupperware for the ground beef.
Old 07-11-2022, 01:44 PM   #855
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashartus View Post
At Westhills Safeway the cashiers used to insist on getting your Airmiles card before scanning your groceries, so you had to take your wallet out twice. One of them told me their manager required it and they could get in trouble if they did it at the end. Thankfully that seems to have stopped.

I have mine memorized and make them key it in
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 01:54 PM   #856
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
People that have been standing in line for five minutes right in front of the menu finally get to the cashier and have no idea what to order and take forever to decide. A lot of people simply aren't very proactive.
I wonder if these people are just lapping up every minute of their life enjoying a relaxing pace, or are just stupid.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2022, 02:19 PM   #857
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
I have mine memorized and make them key it in

Brilliant. I ####ing hate that they prompt you for the Air Miles card too. I feel bad for the cashiers, as I know they have to ask as a matter of course, but the programming on the self-checkouts is asinine.

On the subject of what grinds my gears: Air Miles, overall. It was always a stupid program for the consumer. I stopped collecting years ago, after they announced they were going to introduce an expiration policy. When they announced miles would expire five years after they were collected I just redeemed what few miles I had on a flight, tossed the card in the garbage and never used it again. I had thousands of miles collected, but the redemption rates were so crap and the "earn" rate so incredibly minuscule that it wasn't even worth keeping the card in my wallet anymore. About 95% of all the miles I ever had (which I collected for about 10-15 years at that point) came from the 'bonus' miles I got when I signed up. On average I was otherwise earning a paltry ~120 miles per year. After five years I wouldn't even have been able to redeem for a waffle iron or some other dumb knickknack #### that I don't need; hooray...

Reward points schemes overall are such a waste of time and effort to me, and getting credit "rewards" card offers in the mail RGMG. Reading posts on https://old.reddit.com/r/churningcanada/ is a window into a world that is so, so bizarre to me. The energy that goes into it reminds me a lot of when I was a kid and would see people "couponing" at the grocery store checkout; (mostly) ladies who'd have stacks and stacks of coupons clipped out of flyers and newspapers.

In order to make Air Miles and the like be worth the effort it seems like one would need to spend tens of thousands of dollars per year on their card. Maybe I'm a lot poorer than I thought, but aside from living expenses like mortgage, property taxes, insurance I pay for just about everything else on my credit card, and if I spent more than $15,000 per annum I'd be surprised. The only things I ever collected Air Miles on were groceries, gasoline bought at Shell once in a while, and the odd home improvement purchase at Rona: it was nowhere near enough to be worth getting my card out of my wallet.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:38 PM   #858
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Using 95 air miles to get $10 of groceries is probably the best deal there is. Therefore I just keep redeeming $10 at a time and my air miles never accumulate. And this week at Safeway you get 25 miles back when you redeem 95, so really only 70.

Just look for small deals. Like 30 miles for 6 $2 box of crackers that you would have bought anyways. That's $3!

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:51 PM   #859
you&me
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I had to laugh cause I stopped into shoppers ten mins after reading your post and was greeted by a self checkout screaming at a customer on the other side of the store, lol. Man, those are loud.
I noticed that the other night as well - self checkout screaming at customers that you could hear throughout the store.

I thought it was odd until I noticed that there didn't seem to be any actual employees at the store at 10PM... Just a lone security guard. I figured the volume of the checkout was to 'help' him keep track of people in the store and whatnot.
you&me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:55 PM   #860
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Safeway/Sobeys is dropping Air Miles and switching to Scene+ sometime in early 2023: https://www.safeway.ca/partner-update/

I hope they fix all their scanning issues before then. Their scanners never work on scanning Air Miles from my phone, so I still have to carry my card.

I better not have to do that with Scene because I don't even know where my physical Scene card is.