Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-2022, 03:52 PM   #5441
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
All true but they also brought up the "American kid in Canada" angle and the massive differences of lockdown during the pandemic. Apparently it is a thing among many players on how restricted they were here vs the US.

I can see that being a factor if anyone believes we see another nasty strain make an appearance in Sept/Oct or whatever.

There arguments when compiled and filtered through do make a lot of sense and again, nothing that hasn't been thoroughly discussed here.

I had thought for a long time he was leaving based on how close he is to family and then kind of tilted the other way because of the year that he and the team just had. Then after the glow wore off and you list how things could have gone vs how they have gone, i lean even heavier he leaves now.

I also agree that MT then garners a huge 6-7 year deal that, by proxy, makes him the face of the franchise.....just like his brother has done.

Well I was someone that always thought Johnny would leave until last offseason. He went through the lockdown and still wanted to sign last summer. Pat somewhat alluded to his wife being pregnant as an increased reason why he may want to be closer to home.

It definitely feels like the longer this goes the more doubt that creeps in. The way Johnny talked on garbage bag day mentioning he never considered that would/could be his last time skating in the Dome as a Flame so with his comments and Treliving’s “heaven and earth” comments I had quite a high level of confidence he was coming back.

I think the media assuming he is gone is likely because they always believed he was going anyway so each day it gets easier to discuss.

End of the day Johnny waiting as he is can really mess the team up. I am not worried about a Tkachuk offer sheet but Mangiapane is a perfect target for a $6M offer especially if the Flames get Johnny figured out on July 12th and still need to get Tkachuk done.

I am foolish to think this but as a typically optimistic person I had hopes Johnny and Tkachuk could be done by now which would make draft weekend and free agency easier to navigate for the Flames
Vinny01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:52 PM   #5442
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^^ I mean, if they don't make any changes and inexplicably leave Mangiapane off the top line, sure.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 03:59 PM   #5443
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Always amazes me how much CP loses its #### leading up to these negotiations.

Honestly get a good chuckle from the cycles of drama despite having no concrete indication of anything one way or the other.

He'll sign relax! Everything is good.
Next day:
Look at this tweet OMG he's leaving we're ####ed! Team is in shambles! Why God!
Next hour:
Wait look at this rumour from my sister's dog's groomers cousin. All is well. 8 more years!
Next minute:
The sky is falling! We'll have no talent! Another core guy walks for nothing!

It's like that ship ride at the amusement park.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 04:00 PM   #5444
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Honestly get a good chuckle from the cycles of drama despite having no concrete indication of anything one way or the other.

Next day:
Next hour:
Wait look at this rumour from my sister's dog's groomers cousin. All is well. 8 more years!
Next minute:

Yup I'm guilty of this for sure
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 04:05 PM   #5445
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sec214 View Post
Well Jon will have everything presented to him on Saturday/Sunday this week since he can negotiate after the NHL Draft has concluded, He will know if the 9.5x8(76Million) by Calgary is highest cash value but I have a feeling team(s) will launch the 11.5x7(80.5Million) at Jon.
There's no more courting period. Tampering aside, he won't know any other offers until the 13th at which point the 8th year is off the table.
BeltlineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BeltlineFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 04:06 PM   #5446
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Well I was someone that always thought Johnny would leave until last offseason. He went through the lockdown and still wanted to sign last summer. Pat somewhat alluded to his wife being pregnant as an increased reason why he may want to be closer to home.

It definitely feels like the longer this goes the more doubt that creeps in. The way Johnny talked on garbage bag day mentioning he never considered that would/could be his last time skating in the Dome as a Flame so with his comments and Treliving’s “heaven and earth” comments I had quite a high level of confidence he was coming back.

I think the media assuming he is gone is likely because they always believed he was going anyway so each day it gets easier to discuss.

End of the day Johnny waiting as he is can really mess the team up. I am not worried about a Tkachuk offer sheet but Mangiapane is a perfect target for a $6M offer especially if the Flames get Johnny figured out on July 12th and still need to get Tkachuk done.

I am foolish to think this but as a typically optimistic person I had hopes Johnny and Tkachuk could be done by now which would make draft weekend and free agency easier to navigate for the Flames
I don't understand what the 1st bolded means. He wanted to sign but the Flames didn't offer him a deal?

2nd bolded....no one is throwing 6M at Mangiapane IMO.
Old 07-05-2022, 04:10 PM   #5447
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I don't understand what the 1st bolded means. He wanted to sign but the Flames didn't offer him a deal?

2nd bolded....no one is throwing 6M at Mangiapane IMO.
I wouldn't be shocked if BT does...
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:48 PM   #5448
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I believe they simply couldn't come to terms. Johnny was coming off an off years (by his standards) and was willing to bet on himself.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 04:52 PM   #5449
Sec214
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
There's no more courting period. Tampering aside, he won't know any other offers until the 13th at which point the 8th year is off the table.
Thank you for providing the correct timeline.
Old 07-05-2022, 05:00 PM   #5450
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn. Another day almost gone and no Johnny signing.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #5451
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeltlineFan View Post
There is no "formal" courting period. Does not mean that informal discussions are not held between parties that may influence outcomes. Agents talk to teams all the time, and discussions about what possible packages it may take to land a player of certain skills are definitely happening. You would have to be pretty naive to think that players and agents are not aware of what is out there in the marketplace and how contracts will be structured once the signing window opens. Agents have their ways of finding out who has interest in their clients and what the market will bear. It's their job and most of them are really good at it.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:10 PM   #5452
Squirrel
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I’m getting ready for:

C=NG. (No Gaudreau)
Squirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:50 PM   #5453
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interest would be indirectly conveyed I’m sure, even if no concrete offers are made due to tampering concerns. Players sign contracts minutes into free agency.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 05:54 PM   #5454
Mass_nerder
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by agulati View Post
Interest would be indirectly conveyed I’m sure, even if no concrete offers are made due to tampering concerns. Players sign contracts minutes into free agency.
They're just really good at making decisions.
Mass_nerder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 06:13 PM   #5455
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Again, lots of middling players get permission to explore the market early if it's clear they won't be re-signing. The big fish tend to sign later in the day or following days.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 06:44 PM   #5456
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Plus, players like Gaudreau know they are getting offers on day 1. He might not know all the teams calling, but he can be sure that there will be several and ones that are closer to home. And he probably has a good idea of the dollar amount as well.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:49 PM   #5457
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Next day:
Next hour:
Next minute:

Oh be quiet already!

My sister's dog's groomers cousin is dialed in.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:51 PM   #5458
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not one mention of Orange Julius. For shame.
Old 07-05-2022, 07:41 PM   #5459
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

Thomas Fitzgerald to Lewis Gross, "I want to sign a dynamic, left-handed left winger who can score over 110 points. I would be willing to pay $11.5M per year for seven years for such a winger. Do you represent anyone who fits my description and who would be interested in such a deal?"
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nelson For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2022, 08:03 PM   #5460
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Next day:
Next hour:
Next minute:

I swear someone on cp is going full Alfalfa mode from the little rascals... Johnny loves us and will stay, Johnny will break my heart, Johnny loves us and will stay, Johnny will break my heart.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win