Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-2022, 03:32 PM   #5201
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
It’s hilarious to me that that segment is brought to you by Boston Pizza… I swear to god if Johnny is no longer a flame by the end of this week I’ll probably turn my fandom down a notch and not go out of my way to watch every game next year. Not until the Flames could prove their worth again at this point; I’ve watched every game save a couple since 2000 and it would be supremely disappointing to not be invested in the season like a usually am but losing Johnny would be a big, big blow for me as a fan.
I hear what you are saying, but if Johnny leaves, to me that is more on him exercising his rights as a player
Old 07-04-2022, 03:34 PM   #5202
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I hear what you are saying, but if Johnny leaves, to me that is more on him exercising his rights as a player
And if he leaves our team will unfortunately flounder in mediocrity for years.
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 03:48 PM   #5203
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
While that may be the case the flames had opportunities to bet on Johnny and make him a long term guy past this current contract but they weren’t willing to go to a number that at this point would look like a damned steal. All this just screams classic Calgary lol; I reserve judgement until he’s actually no longer a flame but it will take a massive dump on my fandom if he leaves and I’ll need a season or 2 away from the team the way I have been watching them the last 2 decades. What supreme disappointment it will be if he walks, I can’t even fathom it honestly… my fav Flame all time regardless of what happens, he took that title from Kipper this past year with his performance. Either way all the best Johnny! (Please show all these stupid media asshats that they’re just that and sign already Johnny! Ppppppaaalleaaaassseee, said like roger rabbit!)
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:52 PM   #5204
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Friedman on the fan not saying anything he hasn’t said already. Hammering down this is a family thing for Gaudreau more than money. Basically saying the Flames will definitely offer the most money so if Johnny leaves it is family reasons.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:53 PM   #5205
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Friedman on the fan not saying anything he hasn’t said already. Hammering down this is a family thing for Gaudreau more than money. Basically saying the Flames will definitely offer the most money so if Johnny leaves it is family reasons.
Ughhh lol; he may just be gone my friends…
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 03:57 PM   #5206
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ya...not a great update for us
Old 07-04-2022, 03:59 PM   #5207
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also Friedman made it sound like he thinks Forsberg is close with Nashville and that likely gets done.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:10 PM   #5208
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Need more alumni updates
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:24 PM   #5209
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

If johnny goes, what is the overall though on Tkachuk. He wasn't a line driver last season, but maybe that was simply because he didn't have to be.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:29 PM   #5210
Imported_Aussie
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Gaudreau goes you trade Tkachuk, sign Mangiapane, try to retool
Imported_Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Imported_Aussie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 04:30 PM   #5211
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh man I was looking for a Flames logo, not a fire emoji.

Wow you guys are getting carried away here.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:31 PM   #5212
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
While that may be the case the flames had opportunities to bet on Johnny and make him a long term guy past this current contract but they weren’t willing to go to a number that at this point would look like a damned steal. All this just screams classic Calgary lol; I reserve judgement until he’s actually no longer a flame but it will take a massive dump on my fandom if he leaves and I’ll need a season or 2 away from the team the way I have been watching them the last 2 decades. What supreme disappointment it will be if he walks, I can’t even fathom it honestly… my fav Flame all time regardless of what happens, he took that title from Kipper this past year with his performance. Either way all the best Johnny! (Please show all these stupid media asshats that they’re just that and sign already Johnny! Ppppppaaalleaaaassseee, said like roger rabbit!)
It’s tough.

There is no indication that Johnny would have signed last offseason. Even as an RFA he waited until the last minute to sign, there is a chance he wasn’t willing to talk at all last offseason.

And even if he was willing and was asking for $9.5M last year as an example…that would have been a tough sell by Treliving to the ownership group and fans coming off the years we had in 19-20 and 20-21.

Easy to look back in hindsight now and say “We should have signed him last year” but I’m not sure there would have been a lot of people happy with that back then.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 04:36 PM   #5213
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
It’s tough.

There is no indication that Johnny would have signed last offseason. Even as an RFA he waited until the last minute to sign, there is a chance he wasn’t willing to talk at all last offseason.

And even if he was willing and was asking for $9.5M last year as an example…that would have been a tough sell by Treliving to the ownership group and fans coming off the years we had in 19-20 and 20-21.

Easy to look back in hindsight now and say “We should have signed him last year” but I’m not sure there would have been a lot of people happy with that back then.
To add to this, I think it is fair to question whether Gaudreau would have had as good as season as he did this year if he had already signed an extension. There are apparent psychological reasons by which players have a tendency to perform better when heading into contract years. What could have happened last summer is a black box. It is impossible to lay blame on management for something that didn't happen without knowing whether any of it was ever likely to happen the way we all hope it would have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 04:42 PM   #5214
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't think it is the end of the world if Johnny signs elsewhere. UFAs leave - it happens every year. And no team (other than one up the QE2) is just defined by a single player. This was a good deep team for 90 games this season - they can retool and overcome the loss of Johnny.

However, if he does sign elsewhere, that is a major failure on Treliving and the Flames management team. They are supposed to have the relationships, intelligence, and analytics to be able to manage, predict, and optimize every asset in the organization. Losing an asset like Johnny for nothing is a system failure.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #5215
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
If johnny goes, what is the overall though on Tkachuk. He wasn't a line driver last season, but maybe that was simply because he didn't have to be.
I think if Johnny goes, Tkachuk will have more leverage. Tkachuk would stay, but the Flames would overpay him.

The Tkachuks are reasonably loyal, but they're also good at squeezing every dollar possible.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #5216
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwy-89 View Post
I don't think it is the end of the world if Johnny signs elsewhere. UFAs leave - it happens every year. And no team (other than one up the QE2) is just defined by a single player. This was a good deep team for 90 games this season - they can retool and overcome the loss of Johnny.

However, if he does sign elsewhere, that is a major failure on Treliving and the Flames management team. They are supposed to have the relationships, intelligence, and analytics to be able to manage, predict, and optimize every asset in the organization. Losing an asset like Johnny for nothing is a system failure.
I think it's pretty rare for a team to lose its best player. Rarely happens. I absolutely don't believe the team can re-tool if he goes. Not to mention I am thinking that Tkachuk will be a lot harder to keep.
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2022, 04:45 PM   #5217
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don’t see how this team can remain competitive if Johnny leaves. We might be in for a painful season.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:47 PM   #5218
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by direwolf View Post
I don’t see how this team can remain competitive if Johnny leaves. We might be in for a painful season.
Ya, this would be the 1st season in a long time that I would choose to go out or do other things with my evenings.
Old 07-04-2022, 04:49 PM   #5219
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would be an epic loss. Assuming its not about the contract, it would be the decision by a star in this league that there is a better choice (albeit for him) than the Flames notwithstanding all of the pieces that have been put in place to contest for a Cup including a first class coach and goaltender.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #5220
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Thats one way to spin it but he could also choose to stay for family reasons. Saying it is bot about money could mean he favors the Flames and not what other teams can offer. When we first brought Johnny here I recall he was big on the little things a very loyal guy who wanted to do right by his family. From what somebhave said the Flames are a very tight team and that is the kind of thin Johnny seems to be loyal about.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flames , stanley cup , win