Exp:

I wonder if someone like Ryan Pike will join the show
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Moneyhands23 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 09:53 AM   #3723
SutterBrother
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The world seems to have moved on from over the air radio. You can just plug in your phone and listen to anything you want commercial free. I am part of that problem - I just don't do commercials anymore.

I wish Boomer, Pinder, and Rhett would start their own podcast. Like during the playoffs where Pinder was hammered and he and Boom were live streaming on Twitter. I would like and subscribe, and I know I'm not the only one.

Good luck to Boomer, Pinder, and the people left at the Fan.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SutterBrother For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 09:54 AM   #3724
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
COVID has crushed that station.

They’ve never had the easiest time of it, post-Iggy. The fan base has never felt like it embraced this new group - between players not living up to expectations (Bennett) plateauing and sharply declining in their mid 20s (Monahan) or being perceived to perpetually have one foot out the door (Gaudreau/Tkachuk), the interest has always felt arms length at best.

Tough to run a radio station like that at the best of times - it can’t be cheap beaming 50,000 amps or whatever all day every day. There are only so many car dealerships to buy ad space.

If I think back to the golden years of the Fan, they had everything:

-killer morning show with Mike Richards - say what you will about him, he was funny. And funny enough to have his bits replayed during the day as commercials.
-prime time US syndicated show - Rome. Not gonna have another Rome fight, but 10-1 works best with a big American name - it just does.
-Afternoons with Joe Sports (RIP) and Rob Kerr - Rob was a community historian. He had a real great sense of what made moments special, even if he couldn’t capture them as a PBP man.

All of it anchored by a Hall of Fame PBP man, Peter Maher.

The single biggest mistake of Kirsch’s tenure was replacing Maher with Derek Wills.

We live in the age of “nothing matters”, where quality is secondary to affordability, where keeping your job takes precedence over being great at it.

Here’s the difference between Wills and Maher: I would listen to Peter read a phone book. Derek calls the game like he’s reading one.
Add in Loubardius and his 50s gangsta voice. Also his 100 WHL/Jr hockey references a night is vomit inducing.
Old 06-30-2022, 09:55 AM   #3725
Dan403
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I honestly hated the morning show.

So little Sports and so much BS.

I hope Boomer finds a good job. But I won't miss him.

Last edited by Dan403; 06-30-2022 at 10:45 AM.
Dan403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dan403 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 09:56 AM   #3726
Moneyhands23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan403 View Post

I hope Boomer find a good job. But I won't miss him.
Not sure why you bothered posting this.. bit of a dick move..
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:00 AM   #3727
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
Not sure why you bothered posting this.. bit of a dick move..
Yah, they spoke about this when Rhett called in this morning, and they were right. Basically the less they talked about sports, the more entertaining the show was and popular it became, they new this, and Kirsch new this, he let them run with it. Food, Rhett selling his truck, Pinder's drinking stories, Rhett doing the show while travelling all over the US, Louie the dog. The show was more about entertainment then it was sports for me.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:07 AM   #3728
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seeing lots of people have the same idea. Some sort of self-funded Fames or Calgary centric podcast featuring Boomer, Warrener, and possibly Walker + friends. It's just a matter of, do these guys have any interest in trying that, and is there a listener base for it. I think there is. There are a few amateur podcasts covering the Flames but they are just run by diehard fans. Pros with broadcasting experience and their chops is different.
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 10:11 AM   #3729
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
They played Lou reading the candy brackets yesterday, which Boomer and I think Pinder wrote for Lou to read. I was goddamn dying listening, it was just ridiculously funny.
I made the mistake of listening to it on the bus on the way home yesterday. I think the lady next to me thought I was going crazy as I could barely keep it together lol.

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MissTeeks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 10:18 AM   #3730
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This post is terrible.
Old 06-30-2022, 10:33 AM   #3731
TBone290
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

So you're the guy that they tell to "fire your phone out the window"
TBone290 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TBone290 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 10:38 AM   #3732
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

At it's peak the morning show was great and IMO was the right balance of sports talk and entertainment. Boomer really was the anchor that held it all together, and you know it likely hasn't been easy for him with Rhett, Jason, and Walker all kind of leaving for different reasons or getting out of radio the last couple years.

The show really did have the right balance with Boomer at the wheel though. If there was something important going on, or a big game they would talk about it (especially with Pinder who was a little more well rounded on other sports), but they also were just trying to make up or force any sports narratives.

If there was nothing that important going on in sports then they would just talk about food, or movies, or something else that was more fun and random.

Really I stopped listening once I moved to working from home and not having a commute anymore. Really that's probably what's really hurting radio alot...lots of people that probably don't make a point of listening if they are not in their car.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 10:40 AM   #3733
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sad to see the end of an era.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 12:51 PM   #3734
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
That was it. He said it in jest but it was a misstep that was bound to go viral between Calgary and Regina.
True, but lol ooh no, going viral in Regina...the horror.

He did his time and atoned for the mistake. It's easy to make one big slip up when you've been speaking live on air for as long a stretch as he did.

Pretty good track record overall, I'd say.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 12:55 PM   #3735
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

The morning show with Boomer was honestly brilliant. I don't watch or have live TV any more outside of games, and so it might be the only live thing I would make a point of tuning in for (not just killing time/background noise).

They went places I didn't think a radio show would and always made me chuckle. That combination of familiar voices was like a cup of hot cocoa on a bitterly cold Calgary morning.

A lot of times change is good, but this is one that undeniably sucks.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 03:56 PM   #3736
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SutterBrother View Post
The world seems to have moved on from over the air radio. You can just plug in your phone and listen to anything you want commercial free. I am part of that problem - I just don't do commercials anymore.

I wish Boomer, Pinder, and Rhett would start their own podcast. Like during the playoffs where Pinder was hammered and he and Boom were live streaming on Twitter. I would like and subscribe, and I know I'm not the only one.

Good luck to Boomer, Pinder, and the people left at the Fan.
I find myself in the same camp. I actually stopped listening to the show live on my commutes in favor of the podcast of the 1st hour and then hours 2 & 3 during the day / on the way home. Not sure how a podcast that also doesn't have commercials pays their bills though.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:23 PM   #3737
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I’m going to miss the various people that you had to listen to for a while to understand. I know that the shoveler was Rhett’s wife, and the support for adnan virk was impressive too.

At their best, you felt like you were sitting around a table with them and you got to listen in. They were just humans getting through Covid like everyone else.

Thank you Boomer for all the fish. And fireball.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 04:30 PM   #3738
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruttiger View Post
And that's that. End of an era for Calgary radio. Even as a staunch Oilers, Esks/Elks fan, the morning show was a staple on my morning commute over the years. The drive won't be the same without Boomer.
"Goaaaaala"
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to activeStick For This Useful Post:
Old 06-30-2022, 04:52 PM   #3739
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy89 View Post
I find myself in the same camp. I actually stopped listening to the show live on my commutes in favor of the podcast of the 1st hour and then hours 2 & 3 during the day / on the way home. Not sure how a podcast that also doesn't have commercials pays their bills though.
You can bet commercials are part of the goal, but they needed to get a history of downloads to be able to convince advertisers to pay them for ads on the podcast. It was similar with 32 Thoughts early on and now they have their regular ads.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 05:42 PM   #3740
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
True, but lol ooh no, going viral in Regina...the horror.

He did his time and atoned for the mistake. It's easy to make one big slip up when you've been speaking live on air for as long a stretch as he did.

Pretty good track record overall, I'd say.
Bad things go viral in Regina more than any other place.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote